Shorts in MDR?

Redtravel

There was only one time I ever saw someone wearing shorts in the MDR for an evening meal, and that was because their luggage had been delayed in getting to the by the airline. It caught up the ship after a couple of days though. I really felt bad for the couple as they had to wear the same clothing for a couple of days, but the Carnival allowed them to go to the dinner, including formal night, "dressed down".

I guess we are enjoying the company of the others at our table too much. In 25+ years neither one of us has commented to each other about what a fellow cruiser at the table across the room was wearing.

We have seen gentlemen, while waiting at the door to be seated, asked to go and change a number of time's tho.

EW

I don't wear shorts to dinner in the MDR. Just a preference, don't know what the rules are, don't really care that much either.

But it would not bother us in the least to see someone at dinner wearing shorts. After all, when seated who's to know. Could not imagine how someone else wearing shorts in the MDR could bother anyone. After all, it is someone else's legs getting cold, not yours.

Just returned from a Med cruise on the Equinox. Based on my observations there is no enforced dress code in the MDR. It was the scruffiest group of passengers that I have encountered on any cruise. Shorts were ok in the dining room. Many people were wearing them.

I wore a jacket and tie on Chic night and felt over dressed.

Maybe it is just the European market.

I really do not see Celebrity as a premium line anymore. The food in the MDR pretty much matched the decorum and dress of the passengers -- mediocre at best.

I have seen shorts in the MDR as well, as recently as on our February Caribbean cruise.

As for the European market comment, in my several cruises and many trips to Europe for business and pleasure, I have found that Europeans dress much better than North Americans. If you saw shorts in the MDR, chances are it was someone from this side of the Atlantic.

Te key is enforcement and it seems that the staff is reluctant to offend anyone, so they say nothing.

I could not care less what other people wear to dinner. It does not impair my enjoyment. However, if there are 'rules' then it is the responsibility of the staff to make certain they are adhered to.

I like to dress for dinner. It gives me the opportunity to wear a nice dress.

Could people stop stereotyping nationalities please? I am English and I wouldn't wear shorts or a t shirt to dinner, but that is my personal choice, nothing to do with my nationality.

Three years ago on a formal night a gentleman was dinning in Blu with a backless shirt (and mainly frontless) on and a dickie bow. Not a single word was said to him. Did it spoil my dinner? No. I just thought it was his way of making a statement about formal nights. In reality, I thought he looked a bit daft, but live and let live.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

After the first night on Solstice 2 weeks ago, I witnessed on two occasions guys not being allowed at dinner into the MDR with shorts.

I'm all for Celebrity enforcing no shorts at dinner in the MDR. :cool:

Edited by ShakeDaddy

I would prefer to see the MDR dress code enforced. It certainly isn't onerous - it's much more relaxed than even a few years ago. For anyone who feels they must wear shorts in the evening, then the buffet is available to them. And anyone who feels disinclined to changing into fresh clothes after a day in port? I really don't want to be seated next to them in the dining room.

I would prefer to see the MDR dress code enforced. It certainly isn't onerous - it's much more relaxed than even a few years ago. For anyone who feels they must wear shorts in the evening, then the buffet is available to them. And anyone who feels disinclined to changing into fresh clothes after a day in port? I really don't want to be seated next to them in the dining room.

Are you saying people who wear shorts aren't bathing or wearing clean clothes? :confused:

You will never see a woman turned away; only a man. Sexism.

If they won't allow it for dinner, they shouldn't allow it other times of the day. After all the ship is air conditioned 24 X 7 and the buffet is open the same meals as the dining room. Saying it is okay for 2 out of 3 meals, but not the third is just arbitrary and pointless. If it is allowed for breakfast and lunch, it should be allowed for dinner. If it is not your style, do not choose it. Very simple.

You will never see a woman turned away; only a man. Sexism.

Yes we have seen that on NCL man turned away in shorts, next in line two ladies mid twenties very short shorts and let straight in!

Just returned from a Med cruise on the Equinox. Based on my observations there is no enforced dress code in the MDR. It was the scruffiest group of passengers that I have encountered on any cruise. Shorts were ok in the dining room. Many people were wearing them.

I wore a jacket and tie on Chic night and felt over dressed.

Maybe it is just the European market.

I really do not see Celebrity as a premium line anymore. The food in the MDR pretty much matched the decorum and dress of the passengers -- mediocre at best.

We too were on a different cruise in April and saw nothing that you describe. Our 14 day cruise had many in Tux and bow tie and ladies in gowns for chic night. Most men with at least a tie or sport coat. Only saw shorts in MDR at 6pm seating a couple times and on the first night.

If you want formal them P&O is your line. Things are indeed changing and the older we get the less we like it! LOL

on Solstice we were not allowed to go in with 7/8

on a Brazil cruise all the guys went in wearing shorts - I've asked about dining rules..., answer was: we can't do anything thats brazilien.....

Edited by MarkusToe

on a Brazil cruise all the guys went in wearing shorts - I've asked about dining rules..., answer was: we can't do anything thats brazilien.....

If they're not going to enforce the rules, then why have them?

How many is a brazillion?

Oh my! My night has been ruined because someone else had bare knees!

(Quietly ignoring all the female bare knees of course!)

What about the women who wear dress/cloths that barely cover their bottoms, it is a style, for many young or young but well preserved older cruising women, never hear anyone complain about those long legs.

Having said than, I wear long pants, to the MDR period, that is just me.

A nice pair of dress shorts ( dress pant fabric, not kaki or Jean) with a button up shirt for a man, looks far better then what some others arrive to dinner wearing.

We often laugh at how bad some r dressed, ie: sports jersey, when they refuse to let guys looking good, and far more classy ( or chic) in dress shorts in.

Oh my! My night has been ruined because someone else had bare knees!

(Quietly ignoring all the female bare knees of course!)

Of course,your only human.

But seriously ive seen a guy try to get in with one of those tee-shirts with a tux printed on it,Hilarious,i couldnt stop laughing.:)

When one wears a ball cap to the MDR, should the bill be in the front on smart chic nights?

No angled and tilted to the side,with a big gold chain,and a $1 junk shop charm on it,dark glasses,thumbs hooked in ripped jeans,basketball shoes,odd socks,and a set of ear-phones in noggin.Thats CHIC,for guys.And must walk with the gait of one of my legs is broken.:):eek:Opps also applies to Chic night Chics as well,like um im with HIM/HER

Edited by mrs and mrs

We do not care. Someone else's attire does not in any way impact our enjoyment. It would pretty boring if everyone dressed in the same fashion. And it can be as entertaining as some of the on board acts that we have seen. Live and let live...enjoy your cruise.

The MDR should be viewed as a place where people can get away from the casual and beach attire for a decent meal. No shorts AND no baseball caps!

There are many venues to dine if you don't feel like putting on something you'd wear to dinner at a restaurant (and I don't mean fast food!). The buffet usually has the same food as the MDR so go there if you don't want to change. We ate at the buffets many times when we didn't feel like wearing dinner clothes and were very happy with that. But, respect fellow passengers who DO want to dine without people wearing beach wear....which includes flip flops, by the way.

We do not care. Someone else's attire does not in any way impact our enjoyment. It would pretty boring if everyone dressed in the same fashion. And it can be as entertaining as some of the on board acts that we have seen. Live and let live...enjoy your cruise.

I agree. Let the staff decide what is acceptable and if they choose to enforce the suggested MDR evening guidelines that's their call.