Shorts in MDR?

Redtravel

My NCL cruise was great in that respect; less packing, less luggage, really enjoyed myself, was comfortable and yes, I too wore nice shorts. I think some people feign ignorance at what "nice shorts" are as if such a thing does not exist.

Celebrity eliminated Formal Night; a step in the right direction. It does not mean you can't wear formal wear; it just INCREASES options for everyone. Never a bad thing.

Sounds like you made the right choice for you. If all cruise lines are the same there is no choice.

I am one who regularly pushes the boundaries on Celebrity ships and often wear shorts at night but when I do I dine in the Oceanview not the MDR. If I want to dine in the MDR I put on long pants

Nice to see you at least making an attempt to follow the rules.

Maybe YOU don't consider Seattle a fashion trend setter, but others do. There are many fine upscale dining venues in Seattle. I never said that the cruise ship had to explain their reasoning, nor do I need you to tell me to go elsewhere if I don't agree. Where I go is not your choice.:rolleyes:

If you don't respect the cruiseline's rules & get turned away, then it's your problem, not the problem of those who follow rules! If Celebrity(like NCL/Carnival) does go to finding shorts acceptable, fine. Until then follow the dresscodes or dine in the buffet.

When anything goes there are no choices.

Here's an example of resort wear. Looks neat and clean to me.

Don't see the problem here. Besides, women wear shorts on cruise ships and never have seen one stopped yet. Double standard. Increased options = increased choices; not less choices.

_6929557.jpg

Edited by LMaxwell

Shorts cannot be far away, now no formal night which became chic or jeans night.

May as well open up the dress code to almost anything minus tank tops or sleeveless shirts

We are going in August, if rules stay the same, I will wear jeans every night and then change back into shorts at night

With the new suggested attire, we will see more relaxed attire. Its a vacation as the justification goes.

Also, it is kinda sad that the 'suits' make policies or suggestions and have front line employees enforce it along with the many other duties and time constraints they put on them.

I no longer even bring formal type attire. Not enforced, so I wear what I want.

If you get stopped at the entrance of the MDR for "dressing" the way YOU want, then blame only yourself. I get so tired of pax who feel it's their God give right to dress as they please. Yeah, it's your vacation, but follow the rules until the cruiseline changes them. Or go to Carnival/NCL.

If you get stopped at the entrance of the MDR for "dressing" the way YOU want, then blame only yourself. I get so tired of pax who feel it's their God give right to dress as they please. Yeah, it's your vacation, but follow the rules until the cruiseline changes them. Or go to Carnival/NCL.

Still a little bewildered why you are hung up on an arbitrary and archaic rule that has no impact on your health, safety or enjoyment, but so be it.

Was at an industry conference in March. Change is coming sooner than you may think. Heartened to know you will accept the changes with open arms though. I think that's a positive note.

And if you really want to flash your knees to all and sundry, wear a Kilt -- always acceptable even for Black Tie formal nights!

If you don't respect the cruiseline's rules & get turned away, then it's your problem, not the problem of those who follow rules! If Celebrity(like NCL/Carnival) does go to finding shorts acceptable, fine. Until then follow the dresscodes or dine in the buffet.

Who do you think you are telling me to dine in the buffet?:mad: You don't tell me to do anything.

Who do you think you are telling me to dine in the buffet?:mad: You don't tell me to do anything.

I think they were just confirming where you could dine in the evening if you wanted to wear shorts when dining on Celebrity, but I bet you already knew it.

I got turned away at the door of Blu on our last cruise. Knew the rule but always wear shorts (even in our Midwest winters) and thought I'd give it a try. Maitre d politely asked me to change while my wife laughed at me. When I returned we both had a laugh and my drink was waiting for me [emoji483][emoji106]

Wow. You knew the rules, but thought you would give it a try anyway? :rolleyes:

Good for the Maitre d. I live in South Florida and also wear shorts all the time. I would never ever even think of wearing them in the MDR or any other place where they would be inappropriate. It's not going to kill you to wear pants for an hour or two.

Here's an example of resort wear. Looks neat and clean to me.

Don't see the problem here. Besides, women wear shorts on cruise ships and never have seen one stopped yet. Double standard. Increased options = increased choices; not less choices.

_6929557.jpg

Very nice casual look for day wear or buffet...or aft bar at night...

women do not wear shorts to dinner from what we see...even in BLU..

It was encouraging to see maitre d ask men in bathing suit trunks and tee shirts asked to leave MDR at lunch...on Equinox. They could have gone to the buffet if they did not want to change for lunch.

Edited by hcat

Very nice casual look for day wear or buffet...or aft bar at night...

women do not wear shorts to dinner from what we see...even in BLU..

It was encouraging to see maitre d ask men in bathing suit trunks and tee shirts asked to leave MDR at lunch...on Equinox. They could have gone to the buffet if they did not want to change for lunch.

Very nice and appropriate outfit for any time of day where I live.

Should be on a cruise ship vacation too. Man or woman.

The double standard really needs to end. Women are NEVER turned away in shorts; even very short, revealing shorts. Maybe if they enforced it evenly you'd hear more women getting bent about it.

Agreed about wearing bathing suits into the dining room. No reason to allow that.

Never have I ever been offended by anyone wearing a tux trying to be someone they are not. If you want to wear a tux I am good with it. If you are dressing to impress rest assured it will not impress me. If you are trying to impress the folks you came with then by all means get a tux. I will follow the rules as that is who I am. If someone wears shorts in the mdr I am comfortable enough in who I am to not care and actually not notice. I am there with my beautiful wife and I will be paying attention to what she will be wearing. I will not be paying attention to you.

And if you really want to flash your knees to all and sundry, wear a Kilt -- always acceptable even for Black Tie formal nights!

If you are flashing your knees whilst wearing a kilt then you are not wearing it properly.

A Kilt IS formal - in fact too formal now for "Evening Chic" - sadly leaving my husband's at home this cruise - In MY personal opinion Highland Regalia is far too formal for an "Evening Chic" night.

Kilt + Ghillie shirt would be classed as casual wear and again not appropriate for evening chic.

We are bringing more Italian style shirt/suits and cocktail dresses - seems the correct attire for "Evening Chic".

I never quite get why men want to wear shorts to dinner - each to their own - In some countries it would be laughed at and ridiculed.

That however is up to the individual - none of my business what someone else chooses to wear.

Very nice and appropriate outfit for any time of day where I live.

Should be on a cruise ship vacation too. Man or woman.

The double standard really needs to end. Women are NEVER turned away in shorts; even very short, revealing shorts. Maybe if they enforced it evenly you'd hear more women getting bent about it.

Agreed about wearing bathing suits into the dining room. No reason to allow that.

Sorry, but I've never seen women wearing the type shorts in the MDR as you seem to describe. During the day perhaps, but not at night. Too much Dukes of Hazzard?

If you are flashing your knees whilst wearing a kilt then you are not wearing it properly.

A Kilt IS formal - in fact too formal now for "Evening Chic" - sadly leaving my husband's at home this cruise - In MY personal opinion Highland Regalia is far too formal for an "Evening Chic" night.

Kilt + Ghillie shirt would be classed as casual wear and again not appropriate for evening chic.

We are bringing more Italian style shirt/suits and cocktail dresses - seems the correct attire for "Evening Chic".

I never quite get why men want to wear shorts to dinner - each to their own - In some countries it would be laughed at and ridiculed.

That however is up to the individual - none of my business what someone else chooses to wear.

Most Kilts I've seen were stunning. Often worn with medals of honor, indicating military service. The kilts I often saw on Cunard, just made formal night all that more special & honorable.

I never quite get why men want to wear shorts to dinner

Because I like it.

Sorry, but I've never seen women wearing the type shorts in the MDR as you seem to describe. During the day perhaps, but not at night. Too much Dukes of Hazzard?

Spend less time focused on the men and you will see it.

Wow. You knew the rules, but thought you would give it a try anyway? :rolleyes:

Good for the Maitre d. I live in South Florida and also wear shorts all the time. I would never ever even think of wearing them in the MDR or any other place where they would be inappropriate. It's not going to kill you to wear pants for an hour or two.

I guess for SOME it would seem to kill! Just refer to Husky's lack of class.

FOLLOW the standard dress codes or dine in the buffet or go to a more casual cruiseline. Simple as that. The world has people who respect rules. Too bad you're not one of those!

Interesting that on a cruise ship people are so concerned if others wear shorts in the dining area, yet here in Seattle, one can dine in any of the upscale restaurants with shorts. Why is the cruise ship so different?:confused:

Im sure that even in Seattle there's plenty of rest. where shorts are not acceptable at night. Stop justifying your standard to the world.

FOLLOW the standard dress codes or dine in the buffet or go to a more casual cruiseline. Simple as that. The world has people who respect rules. Too bad you're not one of those!

But you even said that when Celebrity switches the rule you will accept it. Were you being disingenuous?

And sorry to tell you, it is Celebrity staff who has the power to enforce rules, not you. I'd suggest you not yell at other guests on a ship. I don't think you would, but just a reminder that belligerent behavior could make quite the spectacle with security involved...

Would you speak the same way to a woman as a man? Would you single out a woman on a cruise and berate her, or just a man? That's sexism defined!

Edited by LMaxwell

I always thought that shorts were unacceptable in the MDR at dinner. I don't wear them at dinner. On my recent cruise (May 1st), I saw people wearing shorts to dinner. We ate on deck 5 early traditional seating. There is nobody at the door entrance. As a result, people just walk in wearing shorts. Is there really anyone who has been stopped?

I've seen plenty get asked to go change & follow the codes. Let's set the record straight for those pax like Husky & others, who feel they can dress as they choose. The dress codes are to show what is acceptable at night in the MDR. It's simply slacks/decent shoes & a collard shirt. We're not talking formal/suits etc. We're simply talking standard dress what one would normally wear in a decent rest...Smart casual. Those that come from the "me" at all costs, need to follow what's established. If Celebrity & others shift to total casual like Carnival/NCL, then fine. Until that point, however, follow the codes or choose a casual line, period!

Edited by keithm
additions

Most Kilts I've seen were stunning. Often worn with medals of honor, indicating military service. The kilts I often saw on Cunard, just made formal night all that more special & honorable.

Thank you - what a lovey comment.

I know - its kinda sad that we are losing the kilt with Celebrity - all the more room though for my shoe collection - cant believe the difference in weight of luggage without DH's kilt gear!

Thank you - what a lovey comment.

I know - its kinda sad that we are losing the kilt with Celebrity - all the more room though for my shoe collection - cant believe the difference in weight of luggage without DH's kilt gear!

No one is preventing you doing what you want. You are choosing not to take the kilt. Celebrity still encourages you to dress up; they just changed the name of the night.

I don't get it; if you like it, do it. Why are you stopping?