Making Freestyle REALLY Freestyle

To the extent that NCL's Freestyle is meant to give passengers the cruise experience they want - rather than have to do things the way the line wants - I wonder if NCL might some day give passengers the option of selecting "traditional" assigned dining -- the same way other lines allow anytime dining. A part of one MDR could be set aside, where passengers could have the same table, same time, same waiters and same tablemates for the duration of the cruise. That would make Freestyle really the way passengers want it to be -- it would likely lure me back to NCL

To the extent that NCL's Freestyle is meant to give passengers the cruise experience they want - rather than have to do things the way the line wants - I wonder if NCL might some day give passengers the option of selecting "traditional" assigned dining -- the same way other lines allow anytime dining. A part of one MDR could be set aside, where passengers could have the same table, same time, same waiters and same tablemates for the duration of the cruise. That would make Freestyle really the way passengers want it to be -- it would likely lure me back to NCL

What is it you dislike about the current protocol?

I doubt it. It seems like, based on reviews on other lines, that freestyle doesn't work as well on other lines, probably since the number of passengers who want freestyle vs traditional changes on every sailing.

It would be nice to have the choice.....I do miss the times when "your waiter & busboy" would know you by name, know your preferences, and anticipate your needs. Almost like they could read your mind. I do like the current Freestyle, now, but sometimes I wish for the good old days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this style of dining is still possible, if you know what to ask for. I have read of more than a few people around here requesting the same area (if not the same table) every night, so that they have the same servers, who they get to know well.

I seriously doubt that NCL would go as far as you'd prefer with "traditional" dining. They've gone about as far as seems practical, IMO. When we did our first cruise a few years ago, you couldn't even make a reservation at a specialty restaurant, now, you can make them online in almost any restaurant you want.

Seems like other cruise lines still prefer traditional dining protocol where the freestyle is exception rather than the rule so NCL will likely remain as it is... I hope.

100% Agree with you 😀

I like many things with NCL the Solo cabins being the main attraction but the thing I really dislike is the lack of set Traditional Dining

I hope not and doubt it. NCL has been doing this long before the other lines. It is the reason most of us chose to sail NCL to begin with. You are definitely in the minority.

I wouldn't be opposed to this, but I don't think you need NCL to change anything to make this happen.

Depending on what part of "traditional" dining appeals to you:

Same dining companions - Get on your Roll Call and ask for folks to join you for dinner all week. I'll bet you'd have no problem getting a group together and making new friends.

Same location - This one is easy, just come back to the same spot every night for dinner.

Same servers - This may be the trickiest but if you ask your server, or the maitre d', where they will be during the week you can follow them. Odds are pretty good they'll be in the same area all week and that won't even be an issue. And since everyone else is enjoying actual freestyle dining, you'll stand out and the server will definitely remember you and your preferences!

The big reason I sail NCL is because of the anytime dining....I sailed Carnival and Princess and did not care for assigned times. I like going when I feel like I am hungry enough and feel like eating without worrying about having to hit a buffet or 24 hour snack place if I don't make the 6 or 8pm seating. I think majority of NCL passengers who sail are on the same page...well with who I talk to. Princess was the worst...we tried their "anytime dining" and they sat us with a table who already had their main entrees at a dirty table with kids who made a mess, I asked if we could be moved not because we didn't want to be seated with the family but because it was just weird sitting watching a family eat while we waited to even place apps, and the response was you could BUT it could be up to an hour wait for your own table.....that's when I said NCL is the only way to go.

I sailed on NCL many years ago when Freestyle was a new concept and all the other cruise lines did not offer anytime dining select dining or whatever they like to call it. It was a fresh approach and worked well.

I have not been on NCL for a while but have booked on the Jade later this year and am concerned that Freestyle is actually no longer so 'free'. I read all the time of booking ahead to be sure to be able to dine when you want, even up to many days ahead, ninety is it?. To me this is the opposite of Freestyle. When I am holidaying I may not know from one day to the next when I want to dine.

The original concept was to just turn up when you are ready. All the booking ahead makes it more Traditional in my mind. I hope I will not find it impossible to dine without a booking unless I want to eat at 5 or 9:30.

I sailed on NCL many years ago when Freestyle was a new concept and all the other cruise lines did not offer anytime dining select dining or whatever they like to call it. It was a fresh approach and worked well.

I have not been on NCL for a while but have booked on the Jade later this year and am concerned that Freestyle is actually no longer so 'free'. I read all the time of booking ahead to be sure to be able to dine when you want, even up to many days ahead, ninety is it?. To me this is the opposite of Freestyle. When I am holidaying I may not know from one day to the next when I want to dine.

The original concept was to just turn up when you are ready. All the booking ahead makes it more Traditional in my mind. I hope I will not find it impossible to dine without a booking unless I want to eat at 5 or 9:30.

That is more specialty dining not main dining rooms, I never had a problem on any NCL ship getting a table...at peak times I waited no more than 20 minutes. But I always made reservations before sailing for specialty restaurants. I wouldn't worry.

It would be nice to have the choice.....I do miss the times when "your waiter & busboy" would know you by name, know your preferences, and anticipate your needs. Almost like they could read your mind. I do like the current Freestyle, now, but sometimes I wish for the good old days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this style of dining is still possible, if you know what to ask for. I have read of more than a few people around here requesting the same area (if not the same table) every night, so that they have the same servers, who they get to know well.

Yes, just ask the host/hostess seating you that you'd like to sit at <name of waiter/waitress>'s table again.

We've done this in both MDR and also Specialties, and it worked very well.

In the MDR, we never had to wait more than a few minutes for a table to turn over, without any type of reservation or advance request.

And yes, they knew what our "regular requests", and brought a few things before we even asked.

That is more specialty dining not main dining rooms, I never had a problem on any NCL ship getting a table...at peak times I waited no more than 20 minutes. But I always made reservations before sailing for specialty restaurants. I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the reassurance. I like to eat in the MDR late-ish usually between 8pm and 9pm, or later depending on what the day has been like so hopefully just turning up will be ok and not involve long waits. still Freestyle!!

Thanks for the reassurance. I like to eat in the MDR late-ish usually between 8pm and 9pm, or later depending on what the day has been like so hopefully just turning up will be ok and not involve long waits. still Freestyle!!

Oh so you eat same time as me around 8-9pm you will not have any waits. only when I had to eat at 7pm is when I had the wait. You just enjoy your cruise!

How could catering to all passengers, not just one group, be considered less freestyle? Isn't freestyle about having it your way?

This doesn't really make much sense. They already cater to all passengers, with freestyle dining. If you want to eat at the same time every night, do that and request the same servers. For us that like to change it up every night, it also allows us to do that.

Also saying just one group, when that one group would be the majority of NCL cruisers, is a little misleading.

Only did one cruise with traditional dining and I hated it. Freestyle is what attracted me to NCL. Traditional dining does away with freestyle. Now most lines have some type of freestyle dining in place.

When I was on the Breakaway in February we did a bunch of solo group dinners in Savor at roughly the same time and were always seated at the same table...we had different servers each night though. Maybe because of the large front table?