Escape Deck Chair Policy Question

I cruised with them in January on the Eclipse and they did nothing to enforce the time limit.

So, that proves they do it sometimes and sometimes they dont. LOL

I GUESS we are both right.

So,,,, what part of "I don't endorse leaving stuff on chairs to hold them" was not clear?????

I NEVER hold chairs by leaving stuff on them

It was very clear, and you took it to mean you. It was a generalization to all people if you/they/he/she don't want their towels/books/flip flops taken to guest services don't be a chair hog. As stated all pax have a right to chairs not being used.

It was very clear, and you took it to mean you. It was a generalization to all people if you/they/he/she don't want their towels/books/flip flops taken to guest services don't be a chair hog. As stated all pax have a right to chairs not being used.

Dude, when you quote my message and say "Then don't put your things on a lounge chair and leave for hours. ",,, pretty clear that it was address to me and not a generalized statement.

if I see something on a chair for over an hour, I will feel horrible someone lost something and I found it on the chair and I will take it off and give it to a carnival representative to help the unfortunate person who lost their item(s).

I would want to make sure the person who lost it knows its now safe in carnivals hand.... I hope they thank me :rolleyes:

Edited by hftmrock

what's wrong with taking (thus touching) someone's discarded property to the lost and found department?

And honestly, i've cruised more than once, and have never seen the towel charge applied. They may, at times, take your room number down when you grab the towel, but at the end of the day, sometimes right on the docks before reboarding the ship, there's always a big can where everyone drops their towel chaotically, with no one checking off room numbers.

Even if they did, the towel is the responsibility of the person that signed for it, and leaving it unattended in a public space is a big breach to that contract, so they would deserve every bit of the charge.

So my version of the advice would be : Don't leave your property unattended. Ever.

;):D:cool:

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

if I see something on a chair for over an hour, I will feel horrible someone lost something and I found it on the chair and I will take it off and give it to a carnival representative to help the unfortunate person who lost their item(s).

I would want to make sure the person who lost it knows its now safe in carnivals hand.... I hope they thank me :rolleyes:

That would be difficult if you're on NCL Escape. :p

Dude, when you quote my message and say "Then don't put your things on a lounge chair and leave for hours. ",,, pretty clear that it was address to me and not a generalized statement.

Take it as you wish dude or dudette!

People are hip to the stickers. On my cruise in April they took them off and also alerted people who weren't aware, so they could remove their stickers. I saw several people trying to get NCL to enforce the policy but from what I witnessed, the passenger who made the biggest fuss, won. We had a brave lady on our cruise who took it upon herself to move people's stuff and then acted "dumb" when they'd come back to her laying on their lounger (btw - she gave them 30 minutes). She was traveling with a large party and spent most of the morning finagling to get them all seats together by moving other passenger's belongings. By the last sea day, I aw NCL security officers roaming the pool area. This was on a smaller ship but the pool chair issue is alive and well across the boards.

We had a brave lady on our cruise who took it upon herself to move people's stuff and then acted "dumb" when they'd come back to her laying on their lounger (btw - she gave them 30 minutes).

If amateur "chair police" wish to enforce the rules, they should know what the rules are. :rolleyes:

According to NCL, unattended items will be removed by NCL staff after 60 minutes, not 30.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

If you want a chair and its unoccupied, put a sticky note on it noting the time, then wait half an hour and remove items 'holding' the chair and enjoy yourself.

NEVER EVER touch someone else's property. EXTREMELY bad advice. You can actually get in legal trouble for doing this. I'm not making any claim as to the PROBABILITY of that happening but it is a real POSSIBILITY.

What's wrong with taking (thus touching) someone's discarded property to the Lost and Found department?

And honestly, I've cruised more than once, and have never seen the towel charge applied. They may, at times, take your room number down when you grab the towel, but at the end of the day, sometimes right on the docks before reboarding the ship, there's always a big can where everyone drops their towel chaotically, with no one checking off room numbers.

Even if they did, the towel is the responsibility of the person that signed for it, and leaving it unattended in a public space is a big breach to that contract, so they would deserve every bit of the charge.

So my version of the advice would be : Don't leave your property unattended. Ever.

1) Nothing was discarded.

2) Or someone with nor morals or ethics might take it.

When a chair hog puts stuff on a chair they will not be using for several hours, isn't that touching "someone else's property"? After all, the chairs are intended for the use of passengers who are there to use them.

Endorsing that sort of setting aside of what is meant to be common property is even worse advice.

Let me guess you are a politician... ;)

To answer your question, No it isn't. They have not touched anything of yours or anyone else.

NEVER EVER touch someone else's property. EXTREMELY bad advice. You can actually get in legal trouble for doing this. I'm not making any claim as to the PROBABILITY of that happening but it is a real POSSIBILITY.

I have to agree with NHL. Never touch anyone's stuff for any reason. I understand the rules but if you are seen moving people's property and they claim something is missing it can make a well intentioned gesture your worst nightmare. Let the staff handle the situation. 7 days on a ship with someone pissed at you can be miserable.

Do not touch anyone else's property. Very, very bad advise.

Frankly they should not leave stuff on a chair that they are not using. This is poor etiquette and just plain rude! I have no problem removing stuff from a chair that has been unoccupied for more than 45-60 minutes!

Edited by MrsKC08

7 days on a ship with someone pissed at you can be miserable.

This applies to the hogs too :)

I just love those debates on ethics! Just for the sake of debating, if I was to leave my own property on an unattended hogged chair, without touching any of the stuff already there, then the chair hog would have to call the staff on himself to have my stuff removed from his illegally hogged chair before he can start using it again?

Frankly they should not leave stuff on a chair that they are not using. This is poor etiquette and just plain rude! I have no problem removing stuff from a chair that has been unoccupied for more than 45-60 minutes!

As per NCL's rules, the person has 60 minutes. :rolleyes:

If you remove items that have been unattended for 45 minutes, you are the one that is wrong. Actually, it's NCL's job to remove the items after 60 minutes, not your job so either way, removing someone else's items is wrong.

I agree that chair hogging is an issue, but I'm not really sure what the solution is. I would get up at 7 to go to the gym, and crossed the pool deck from aft to forward. Every morning I would see these neat rows of chairs, all reserved with towels and those matching sets of beach chair clips. Sometimes the clips were animal clips and you could tell that one person in a group of eight got up early and clipped towels on 8 chairs. Then disappeared.

Maybe NCL should do like parking meters and have a sensor/timer attached to each chair. If there is weight on the chair for five minutes, then it resets the time. If there is no weight, then the timer counts down, and after an hour, a little red light on the top of the chair flashes. Then the deck crew swoops in and removes items. The five minute weight sensor avoids the issue of one person in the party of eight pushing buttons on all eight chairs to reset the timers.

This is extreme, and it would never happen, but it would be nice if something could be done. Obviously NCL should do a better job of enforcing their policies, but unfortunately it seems chair hogs are just part of the cruising lifestyle.

Definitely don't endorse the practice.

But nobody appointed you the chair police. Passengers have no authority or right to touch another passenger's property. That is the advice.

There are probably 20 or 30 chairs all with the same towel on it

How anyone can expect to come back 4 hours later to the same exact chair and towel is laughable

Loungers have been moved around so you wouldn't even know it