Onboard Alcohol Price Matching

drakes2

On a recent Celebrity cruise, I was interested in purchasing two bottles of Ketel One vodka. They were priced at $27 per bottle onboard, however, I was told if I found a better price in port and brought a flyer or photo, the ship would match the price. The next day while in St. Kitts I ventured into the duty free shop and took a photo as no flyers were available. I was immediately approached by a salesperson who demanded I delete the photo from my phone. I stood there looking at her for a moment and she said, you are not allowed to take photos in our store. Non wanting confrontation, I deleted the photo in front of her and left the store. Once onboard, I relayed this information to the duty free store. The photo was still on my phone as it had gone into the cloud. I showed it to the sales guy who probably felt sorry for me after I told him what happened and was able to purchase two bottles for $40 plus he threw in a 375 ml. for free. Has anyone experienced a similar issue when price matching alcohol? Not being familiar with the rules and regulations of these Caribbean ports, it could have been much worse.

On a recent Celebrity cruise, I was interested in purchasing two bottles of Ketel One vodka. They were priced at $27 per bottle onboard, however, I was told if I found a better price in port and brought a flyer or photo, the ship would match the price. The next day while in St. Kitts I ventured into the duty free shop and took a photo as no flyers were available. I was immediately approached by a salesperson who demanded I delete the photo from my phone. I stood there looking at her for a moment and she said, you are not allowed to take photos in our store. Non wanting confrontation, I deleted the photo in front of her and left the store. Once onboard, I relayed this information to the duty free store. The photo was still on my phone as it had gone into the cloud. I showed it to the sales guy who probably felt sorry for me after I told him what happened and was able to purchase two bottles for $40 plus he threw in a 375 ml. for free. Has anyone experienced a similar issue when price matching alcohol? Not being familiar with the rules and regulations of these Caribbean ports, it could have been much worse.

I haven't had the experience but am intrigued by why you cannot photograph the stock in the shop. Very strange indeed. I am glad that the ship's store honoured the price match anyway, great deal.:D

I tried having the ship's liquor store match the price. I had the pictures. The problem was the island store was selling .75 liter and the ship was selling 1 liters. He wouldn't extrapolate the price even though in most stores a 1 liter is less expensive per ml. This was on the Connie in Feb.

Therefore I suggest you visit the ship's store first and take pictures of their bottle sizes and prices you're interested in. Then do the same size at the shore side liquor store if you expect them to price match on the ship.

I think they may not like photos of stock taken as wary of price matching, but as far as it being illegal or enforced to delete photos I don't think they would have a leg to stand on. But appreciate you wouldn't want the confrontation- thank goodness in the end for the cloud lol!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I had a fair amount of non refundable obc to use plus the simple fact that I didn't want the bother of carrying extra bottles onboard, check them in at the desk, etc., etc. Much more convenient to purchase onboard if they match which they did plus the free mickey. I don't think the person who approached me could have done much anyway, but they most likely are losing sales due to the ship's matching policy. I was the only shopper in the store at the time so not at all busy. Maybe this lady just wanted to exert her authority but lucky for me my common sense kicked in as she could have made it difficult for me.

Because you can't use OBC landside.

Didn't think about the OBC.

On the other hand, you can't really blame the land-side store for attempting to protect their interests -- by allowing you to photo their prices and purchase at another location means a lost sale to them.

About the only booze we buy by the bottle is Jack Daniels. We were on the Silhouette last month and went to price it in the duty free shop on the ship. For the 750ml bottle they wanted $25. That price didn't look right so when I questiioned it and told the sales associate I buy this all the time back home and can always get it in the $17-$19 range (the truth), he told me to buy it at home and walked away. I didn't expect him to price match, but I thought it was kind of rude the way he handled it.

About the only booze we buy by the bottle is Jack Daniels. We were on the Silhouette last month and went to price it in the duty free shop on the ship. For the 750ml bottle they wanted $25. That price didn't look right so when I questiioned it and told the sales associate I buy this all the time back home and can always get it in the $17-$19 range (the truth), he told me to buy it at home and walked away. I didn't expect him to price match, but I thought it was kind of rude the way he handled it.

Maybe he was frustrated by hearing that from passengers regularly but had no ability to deal with it.

Good point. I never thought of that.

Yes, I find it easier to buy at home not only for the ease of not having to carry the bottles around when travelling. But also due to our AUD vs the Ship's USD prices any savings would have been eroded.:D

Yes, I find it easier to buy at home not only for the ease of not having to carry the bottles around when travelling. But also due to our AUD vs the Ship's USD prices any savings would have been eroded.:D

I've never had to carry the liquor I've bought back to the ship. In the Caribbean ports I buy, they deliver to the ship for free. The first time I see the bottles is when they deliver the liquor to my cabin the last evening.

I've bought as many as 13 liters without paying any duty when I've driven to the port. Instead of paying $185/lt for JW Blue, it cost me $99! On my last cruise the price was $125 which is still cheaper than the $195 at home. I also purchased Johnny Walker XR 21 for $100 that isn't even sold in the states and I like better than Blue for it's smoothness.

A couple of bungee cords attached a liquor carton to the top of the carry on luggage for disembarking or I packed some in my checked luggage surrounded by dirty laundry.

easy...peasy and I saved a ton of money. I wouldn't do it for inexpensive liquor. Just for the stuff I wouldn't pay the exorbitant price at home.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Since I have bottles in my liquor cabinet that are as much as 40 years old I don't have any need to look at prices on board, other than to kill some time on sea days. Especially after looking at jewelry, perfume and make up for too long....I worked as a photo-journalist for too many years and often ran into issues making pictures inside stores without permission. Yes, they are concerned about people doing it to shop the prices whether it is liquor, TVs, jewelry or anything else. It is not really illegal in most places but you do get into the the "you are on private property and I don't want you to do it" issue.

Last year coming back from Bermuda, the customs agent asked me how many bottles of booze I was bring back. I told him 6, and he just rolled his eyes, indicating I was pushing the envelope, but he just let me go on.

I've never had to carry the liquor I've bought back to the ship. In the Caribbean ports I buy, they deliver to the ship for free. The first time I see the bottles is when they deliver the liquor to my cabin the last evening.

I've bought as many as 13 liters without paying any duty when I've driven to the port. Instead of paying $185/lt for JW Blue, it cost me $99! On my last cruise the price was $125 which is still cheaper than the $195 at home. I also purchased Johnny Walker XR 21 for $100 that isn't even sold in the states and I like better than Blue for it's smoothness.

A couple of bungee cords attached a liquor carton to the top of the carry on luggage for disembarking or I packed some in my checked luggage surrounded by dirty laundry.

easy...peasy and I saved a ton of money. I wouldn't do it for inexpensive liquor. Just for the stuff I wouldn't pay the exorbitant price at home.

That is great for you, for us though, we still have to carry the bottles off the ship and then due to the air travel restrictions, it would have to go into our luggage. Not great for multiple flights back to home.

Last year coming back from Bermuda, the customs agent asked me how many bottles of booze I was bring back. I told him 6, and he just rolled his eyes, indicating I was pushing the envelope, but he just let me go on.

We are allowed 2 Litres of alcohol per adult in Australia, unless it is from NZ where we can buy wine with a more generous allowance.

Yes the ship price for JW Blue is great. I have gotten some for $99. Lately they have been running 2 bottles for $310, plus 10% if you buy the 1st night. Back in Washington state JW Blue cost $250 per bottle.

Yes the ship price for JW Blue is great. I have gotten some for $99. Lately they have been running 2 bottles for $310, plus 10% if you buy the 1st night. Back in Washington state JW Blue cost $250 per bottle.

Wow, your store is very high. I just check my local liquor chain, Total wine & more. Here it's $199.99 plus sales tax today.

Wow, your store is very high. I just check my local liquor chain, Total wine & more. Here it's $199.99 plus sales tax today.

I think Washington State supports more programs with tax on liquor.

I just did a fake purchase from Total Wines in Bellevue and the total cost for JW Blue 750 ml would have been 240.99 pick up in the store. The base price was $199 but there was $41 taxes with the caution, final taxes will be added at pick up.

South Carolina sales tax would be $14.00 for the same item.

Edited by bbappel