feeding the fish..

We are heading to Bermuda in the next few days. We love snorkeling and were thinking of bringing some food to attract the fish.

Someone had suggested dog food. I know. Sounded weird to me too. I did it last cruise. And it worked! Well, kinda. The dog food "pellets" got wet and nasty really quickly.

So..to all of you avid snorkelers. What would you suggest? What works for you? Heard someone mention cereal before too.

Thanks!

Try frozen peas. They dont get as soggy as dog food.

YOu can also use dehydrated shrimp. They are natural food and re-hydrate in the water. They can be a little smelly, so keep them in double plastic bags.

Edited by swedish weave

Snorkeling Etiquette Tip #4:

Don't Feed Fish

We know, you can buy fish food at most snorkel rental shops, but please don't do it. Feeding fish has been proven to really mess up the natural ecosystem in the area.

Feeding fish while snorkeling is often an enjoyable experience but with this privilege comes a responsibility. This means feeding them food that they would normally eat. Using left-overs from your lunch is not a good idea, as the food that we eat will cause problems with the metabolism of fish.

I really want to believe that education is the key to conservation. So here are a few reasons to avoid the harmful practice of feeding reef fish (I believe most of this applies to feeding wild animals in general).

• It can throw the entire ecosystem out of balance and disrupt the food chain.
  • It causes fish to associate humans with food. Then what happens? They start to bite – human body parts.
  • Human food is not healthy for fish. It could potentially kill the fish or cause other major problems or sicknesses. I know of a beach in the Caribbean where locals promote fish feeding and even give the tourists dog biscuits to feed the fish. It’s not OK to feed dog food to a fish! And while we are on this topic, it’s not OK to feed Cheez Whiz to a fish (or a human) either. Many people are under the mistaken impression that it is OK to feed fish “fish food” while snorkeling, but this, too, is misguided.
  • Over time, fish that are constantly being fed by humans forget how to forage for themselves. What happens when the tourists all flock to another beach? Where will the fish get their food when no happy hands are outstretched? Their ecosystem has been disrupted for human entertainment, and they have forgotten how to fend for themselves. Sadly, they have grown accustomed to an unnatural environment and may not be able to readjust to life in the wild ocean.
  • It is illegal in many marine reserves.

Please don't do this. They are living in the wild and shouldn't be subjected to people feeding them dog food or peas. Respect the ecosystem.

I wish this thread was a joke but sadly there are people who think it's ok to feed fish dog food...

It's not such a big deal is it? A few grams of organic material in the vast ocean? It is not toxic and will quickly degrade into nothing. The sunscreen you wear while snorkeling is far more of a real threat to the fish and the reefs. It is killing reefs around the world. Some bread, or whatever, ain't killing anything! I've seen snorkel guides do it a few times, I admit I was surprised though (I don't personally feed fish myself) They feed the Rays like mad at sting ray city in Cayman. It happens.

Any specific kind of cereal? Cheerios?!

This is what I have seen most often. Just pick up a mini box in the buffet at breakfast and throw it in your beach bag. All neatly sealed until you are ready to use it.

Removal of food off the ship is illegal.

The last time we were on the Breakaway, H.M. Customs was doing spot checks periodically during our port call, searching bags of passengers and confiscating all food items (packaged or not).

Remind me to stay away from all of you on our cruise in August.

Please stay away from everyone on your August cruise.

But enjoy your vacation week at sea.

Edited by DGP1111

DO NOT FEED FISH

I do not usually shout with either capitals or red letters and not with gigantic one but I think feeding fish human or pet foods is wrong.

Shout your message to the cruise lines and the environmental groups.

The cruise ships are allowed to separate the leftover food scraps into those that are suitable for fish food and those that are not. They then grind them up and dispense the edible parts out to sea, and incinerate the rest of the scraps.

Your thoughts are not supported by reality !!

I know nothing about snorkeling or feeding fish but it seems a bit ironic that a forum dedicated to man made vessels weighing countless tons traveling in the oceans while feeding people tons of seafood can have a thread about the environmental impact of feeding fish. :confused: