GREASE - Keep your children away

I am now on the maiden voyage of Harmony Of The Seas and just seen the show Grease.

I am very much suprised that Royalcaribben sold this show to tobacco companies and created it like a smoking advertisement for teenagers. Several times (i counted more than 6) players are smoking real cigarette on the stage and showing this as a nature of being adult.

Here in Europe, its mostly forbidden to advertise tobacco material. But i see that big tobacco companies found their way of advertesing in Europe by entering to cruise ship shows where all age groups are able to see it. In my opinion, these scenes are easily can be adapted to a non-smoking version, but its very clear that company did not want it, or did not care about it.

So, the managers and workers of RCCL is free to tell their children that its a normal habit to smoke, but i strongly advice everybody to keep their children away of this show if you do not want them to be a smoker in future and live long.

And just another question of this situation, is it allowed to smoke on Royal Theater?

:confused: So, if my grandchildren do not see this show, they will never be smokers? I don't understand. You cannot protect your children from seeing smokers for the rest of their lives. They are in sections of the ship also....so I am not understanding your point.

I understand what you're saying, but that is the way the show is written...showing the "rebel kids" acting out and doing what kid's did, back in the 50's.

I truly doubt that seeing this play will cause well-parented kids to take up smoking.

My initial thought is that they could be e-cigarettes, which look like real cigarettes and exhale vapor instead of smoke. I honestly doubt they are real cigarettes inside the theater.

The rest of your comments, as entitled to your opinions as you are, I don't think are a valid argument for children/youth to start smoking. Seeing this in a production show is not usually the precursor for someone to start smoking, but having said that, the content of this show is not really for children anyway. ;)

My initial thought is that they could be e-cigarettes, which look like real cigarettes and exhale vapor instead of smoke. I honestly doubt they are real cigarettes inside the theater.

Probably prop cigarettes and I would also think electronic type because of the fire hazard.

Unfortunately, short of locking your kids in the basement, they are going to be exposed to smoking on TV, in movies, on the ship, at the theatre, in newspapers, on the Internet, at school, on the street... They will also be exposed to many other, far worse things. Surely children of an age appropriate to attend a performance of Grease can recognize that the musical is based in the 1950s and that things were different back then. Make it a learning opportunity if you want, pointing out how many things, including acceptance of smoking, have changed over the last 60 plus years.

Popcorn is allowed in the theater:)

And I find that a really poor example for RC to expose my daughter too

After seeing the 1st bag of popcorn opened, we leave, the thought of having to count 5 more bags being opened would be damaging to her childhood.;)

Happy Days!

Grease is a 40 year old show and it was written by that times decisions. Also until 1950's smoking was adviced by doctors. But today nobody advice it.

Of couse your children will see people smoking, but you do not need to show it by yourself. Which real parent can smoke near their children and show it good, really?

I was trying to explain that RCCL could easily transform the show to a non-smoking version but you move the topic to other way. I just do not see this show ethic on a cruise company where there is no age limit.

If kids did all the bad things they saw we would be in trouble. I absolutely do not think seeing someone smoke is going to turn a child into a smoker. And I do not believe they were smoking real cigarettes either.

Kids see all kinds of things in day to day life. It's the parents job to teach them right from wrong. Unless you put them in a bubble they will be exposed to all sorts of things that are bad. And when they do see those things it's your job to teach them what is bad and what isn't.

Popcorn is allowed in the theater:)

And I find that a really poor example for RC to expose my daughter too

After seeing the 1st bag of popcorn opened, we leave, the thought of having to count 5 more bags being opened would be damaging to her childhood.;)

Happy Days!

Popcorn = Smoking . Really?

I hope your daughter will not smoke in future and not die from breast cancer and you will not see it. Because popcorn does not kill but smoking KILLS.

I hope your daughter will not smoke in future and not die from breast cancer and you will not see it. Because popcorn does not kill but smoking KILLS.

Good lord. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that other post was a joke and I'm also pretty sure that most people know smoking is bad.

I think most find it a tad ridiculous that you think kids will suddenly become smokers from seeing a play. You better not let them watch tv either because plenty of shows/movies still have people smoking in them.

Likewise

I hope she does not become an alcoholic because she saw a guy in a movie drink a beer

I hope she does not get in a car crash, because she watched Mission Impossible

I hope she does not become a politician because they are on TV everyday.

Cotton wool

Wrap them all up until they are 21, then expose them to the world wearing shades and give them an iPhone.

Sorted:D

Edited by PompeySailor

I understand what you're saying, but that is the way the show is written...showing the "rebel kids" acting out and doing what kid's did, back in the 50's.

I truly doubt that seeing this play will cause well-parented kids to take up smoking.

I believe its also our job to protect NOT-well-parented kids. I am a young person, hope i have many more years to live, i want a better world for me and my children (even if i do not have yet).

I'm pretty sure that other post was a joke and I'm also pretty sure that most people know smoking is bad.

I think most find it a tad ridiculous that you think kids will suddenly become smokers from seeing a play. You better not let them watch tv either because plenty of shows/movies still have people smoking in them.

Someone got it;)

I was trying to explain that RCCL could easily transform the show to a non-smoking version but you move the topic to other way. I just do not see this show ethic on a cruise company where there is no age limit.

And you as a parent could just as easily explain that smoking is bad. Changing it to a non smoking version changes the whole show. Why do some parents feel that they should never have to explain things to their kids, you know, actually parent them?

I am sorry, but its not allowed to show anything related about smoking (even ash tray) in my country TV or cinema.

Its also not allowed to smoke in public places, like school garden, hospital garden, even open area parks.