Steam Train From Skagway

Wulfwyn

So who has done the steam train out of Skagway. Looking at the White Pass train schedule & the website says they run a steam engine train at 12:00pm. Now I have heard the steam engine/train before when I have been up there the last 2 years. But I am trying to find the excursion for it. Any ideas. So would like to do this one.

The website says the train is along side the dock for cruise ship passengers.

Any help would be nice. Want to book with the cruise ship.

Going to Alaska again in July 2016 on the Ruby Princess :)

Wulfwyn.

So who has done the steam train out of Skagway. Looking at the White Pass train schedule & the website says they run a steam engine train at 12:00pm. Now I have heard the steam engine/train before when I have been up there the last 2 years. But I am trying to find the excursion for it. Any ideas. So would like to do this one.

The website says the train is along side the dock for cruise ship passengers.

Any help would be nice. Want to book with the cruise ship.

Going to Alaska again in July 2016 on the Ruby Princess :)

Wulfwyn.

Go onto their WEB site in Google. Get their phone number. Call them. If you had done that, you would probably have your answer by now.

DON

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exlistfordestination.page?portid=SGY&t=A&exType=S

Generic list of all Princess excursions from Skagway has many that include the White Pass & Yukon Railway:

SGY-200 White Pass Scenic Railway: http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=SGY-200

SGY-170 Experience the Yukon and Suspension Bridge: http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=SGY-170

SGY-180 Yukon Expedition and White Pass Scenic Railway: http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=SGY-180

SGY-210 White Pass and Scenic Railway Luxury Class: http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=SGY-210

SGY-240 Rail, Summit, Suspension Bridge and Garden Lunch: http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=SGY-240

SGY-250 White Pass Rail, Summit, Gold Panning & BBQ Lunch: http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=SGY-250

SGY-350 Gold Panning, Sled Dogs and Exclusive Scenic Railway: http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=SGY-350

Not every one of them may be available on your specific cruise, but if you can't find any of them in your cruise personalizer I would give Princess a call.

(Note that for all Princess excursions on the railway except SGY-200 you are required to carry your passport as you will be exiting the train in Canada)

Edited by fishywood

not sure its still a steam train. they are nice and a great ride but the last couple of years walking by them i have seen only newer engines. Maybe they still have the steamers that run specific times interested to know what you find out. good ride either way

OK ignore all the links I posted above as none of the ship's tours specify they are of the one departure that uses a steam loco rather than diesel. Perhaps Princess doesn't bother to sell it as the steam service is only three days a week (Monday, Thursday and Friday) even though Ruby is in Skagway every Thursday.

If I remember correctly only the cars reserved for ships's excursions load pierside, you may have to walk into town if booked through the railway.

I have taken the White Pass train trip, many times. Usually it is a diesel engine.

Back in 1990, the first time I went, it was an old fashioned steam engine. But these days, the ones I have taken as Princess shore excursions are diesel.

Maybe do call them, to see if they ever still run a steam engine.

Go, no matter what. The train trip is fab, even with a diesel! :) :) :)

Also, there are many operators that run "small group" van trips along the same route. The road parallels the train route, but will take you deeper into the Yukon with stops along the way. There are advantages to both types of trips. The train takes you into the valley for views that you don't capture from the road, but there are no stops to soak it all in. Traveling by road takes you to overlooks that you will not see from the train, and makes stops so that you can enjoy the scenery. And you can get vans that go all the way to Emerald lake, which you will not see by train. Either way, you can't go wrong. Here are a couple of photos of views that you get to see from a van that you can't see from the train. The first is of Emerald Lake and the second is of Tagish Lake. In a perfect world, you would make the trip twice--once by train and once by road!

9613110240_10ecba8990_c.jpg

9609891449_c32b88512a_c.jpg

We were in Skagway this week and recall our tour guide mentioning the steam engine. She said the steam engine pulls far fewer cars than the Diesel engine. (She mentioned the exact numbers but I don't recall them.) I hadn't seen this question yet or otherwise I would have inquired further, but I suspect the diesels aren't used when cruise ships are in as they need to run many cars on those days.

We were also in Skagway last week and the train runs right by the ship. The diesels were used with several cars. I did not see the steam train. You can get tickets outside of the security area, there's a booth there along with other excursions you can book..

Also, there are many operators that run "small group" van trips along the same route. The road parallels the train route, but will take you deeper into the Yukon with stops along the way.

You can also rent a car, it's an easy and pleasant drive. You have 100% control to make stops along the way.

Don't forget your passport -- you'll leave the U.S. and enter Canada

Also, there are many operators that run "small group" van trips along the same route. The road parallels the train route, but will take you deeper into the Yukon with stops along the way. There are advantages to both types of trips. The train takes you into the valley for views that you don't capture from the road, but there are no stops to soak it all in. Traveling by road takes you to overlooks that you will not see from the train, and makes stops so that you can enjoy the scenery. And you can get vans that go all the way to Emerald lake, which you will not see by train. Either way, you can't go wrong. Here are a couple of photos of views that you get to see from a van that you can't see from the train. The first is of Emerald Lake and the second is of Tagish Lake. In a perfect world, you would make the trip twice--once by train and once by road!

There are plenty of combo tours that do both. No need to pick one or the other.

But the OP asked specifically about the STEAM train, so I'm guessing that they are a train fan that specifically wants the steam train, not a van tour or a car rental. Here is specific info about the steam train tour: http://wpyr.com/excursions/product/ticket/fraser-meadows-steam-excursion/ They do say that if you are on a cruise ship, the tour should be available through the ship's excursions.

You can also rent a car, it's an easy and pleasant drive. You have 100% control to make stops along the way.

Don't forget your passport -- you'll leave the U.S. and enter Canada

Good point on both counts. Originally we rented a car. But I cancelled as I didn't want to spend most of my time staring at asphalt when there was so much scenery to enjoy. But having one's own car does have its advantages. And yes, you need a passport to cross over into BC and the Yukon.

Back in 2012 we took the train to Benton Lake. Great experience. In 2014 & 2015 we heard the steam engine train. Already looked at white pass train website. Looked through prinncess shores excursions information and found no information. So that is why I posted here to see if anyone have done that trip with princess.

While many have enjoyed this trip we were a bit disappointed when we took it. The day we took the trip was extremely overcast and cloudy. The train ride was fun but we really did not see the views we hoped for.

Back in 2012 we took the train to Benton Lake. Great experience. In 2014 & 2015 we heard the steam engine train. Already looked at white pass train website. Looked through prinncess shores excursions information and found no information. So that is why I posted here to see if anyone have done that trip with princess.

That would be Lake Bennett.

If the steam train excursion is not listed for your cruise, then it must not be available when you are there - wrong day/time, sold out, etc. It is limited to a few times a week.

9613110240_10ecba8990_c.jpg

9609891449_c32b88512a_c.jpg

I rented a car and did the same thing. There were 4 of us. Best deal. I had downloaded a narrative of the different mile markers. Emerald Lake is beautiful.

We did the Skagway train trip, spectacular!!! Going up the pass by train, sit on the LEFT hand side of the train for all the views..you can also walk to the end of the carriage & stand there to take photos...we booked through Royal Caribbean because they booked the train out..a short walk from where the cruise ship was parked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app