want to see more tv programming on your room TV's

Okay -- I've resisted posting as long as I can. A pet peeve of mine is all the posters who write about how they don't go on a cruise to watch tv. Why does anyone feel compelled to write about what they don't do on a cruise. I wouldn't think about posting on a board about the new water slides that I don't go on a cruise to go on water slides or about available beers and wines, I don't go on a cruise to drink beer or drink wine. Obviously, no one goes on a cruise to watch television. It is just one of the options for something to do between doing other things--some people like to sit in a cabin watching tv or movies (or reading or sleeping or whatever) between shore excursions, deck parties, shows, meals, massages, bar hopping, sunning on the deck, etc., etc., etc.

It sounds like the tv selections on Royal Caribbean are pretty lame. That is disappointing as (FWIW) I do watch tv every now and then on a cruise. (I'll resist listing all the things I don't do because why would anyone care.)

I agree...and very well put. Thanks for giving in to your posting temptation. ;) :)

Okay -- I've resisted posting as long as I can. A pet peeve of mine is all the posters who write about how they don't go on a cruise to watch tv. Why does anyone feel compelled to write about what they don't do on a cruise. I wouldn't think about posting on a board about the new water slides that I don't go on a cruise to go on water slides or about available beers and wines, I don't go on a cruise to drink beer or drink wine. Obviously, no one goes on a cruise to watch television. It is just one of the options for something to do between doing other things--some people like to sit in a cabin watching tv or movies (or reading or sleeping or whatever) between shore excursions, deck parties, shows, meals, massages, bar hopping, sunning on the deck, etc., etc., etc.

It sounds like the tv selections on Royal Caribbean are pretty lame. That is disappointing as (FWIW) I do watch tv every now and then on a cruise. (I'll resist listing all the things I don't do because why would anyone care.)

Thank you very much!!! I couldn't have said it better.

My wife and I actually have very busy lives and she works 60+ hours a week with one day off every 2 weeks she works at least 2 16 Hr days a week so for us watching TV is something we plan on as part of the cruise. But for me being a technical person I bring the shows we plan to watch already recorded onto either my phone or the iPad, but being able to watch the local news on VOOM was that much better. We take a transatlantic cruise so that we can just veg out on the balcony and not do anything. Given a choice of having a nice quality dinner delivered to our room our going to the dining room my wife would pick dinner in our room then a walk along the jogging track for a hour then back to the room to watch some TV and then go to sleep.

Thanks, can't be stated often enough.

I don't criticize people for drinking themselves into a coma, and in turn I expect the same respect for my vacation choices. I really enjoyed a night on GA last week when I stayed in, ordered room service, and snuggled in my PJs while watching Outlander (which I'd downloaded ahead of time). Room service was not something I could do at home. Several completely uninterrupted hours was not something I could do at home. Get over it.

I feel the same about tea/coffee making facilities, and think they should be part of all rooms and classed as a "basic" accommodation need.

Unfortunately Royal seems to feel that it's only people who are dropping the big bucks in the suites who might want to make a mug of Joe for themselves - isn't it also odd that they have access to dvds etc... whereas us plebs in balconies and below have to do without.... and then face scorn from people saying

"eeeewww, you common person, what do you possibly want to watch tv for, you little oik" - and "you can get coffee from room service, it only takes an hour"

They want us common people out spending and not sitting in our rooms keeping our money in our purses, that's all it comes down to.

Re: the Teen Soap - did that boy with the guitar find out the dark haired girl liked him in the end?

Thanks Flag Fan for your appropriate response. I have also wonder why people feel the need to tell us what they don't do on a cruise.

Exactly!! People who don't feel the need, and don't care about watching any TV at

any time.....fine...leave it off. That is what the "off" button is for just in case you turn it

on by accident!! :eek:

For those of us that would like the option during down time in our cabins of watching something

that is not just crap advertising, reruns, and foreign language channels....give us the good programming

back please!! It costs nothing extra to show those movies that are shown in the cinema/pool screen

already on board for free.

Are you listening RCI??!! Do you care??!! :rolleyes:

Edited by island lady

This is great to know. I too was on Serenade in April and it was horrible. I'll be on Grandeur in August so I'm glad it'll be an improvement.

I was on Coral Princess in May and they had numerous channels in addition to playing The Love Boat continuously. While we don't watch a lot of tv while on cruises, it's nice when you have a choice when you want to watch.

Well, I probably should clarify what made the TV on the Grandeur so great and that was because they had all of the NFL games and college football games on - Sat, Sun, MNF, TNF. DH and I were happy. I don't recall the shows/movies being shown over and over again like on Serenade.

I was on Serenade again this past two weeks in Norway and some of the programs were new, but they still had the same episodes of sitcoms that we saw in April. Sad.

Edited by mek

Well, I probably should clarify what made the TV on the Grandeur so great and that was because they had all of the NFL games and college football games on - Sat, Sun, MNF, TNF. DH and I were happy. I don't recall the shows/movies being shown over and over again like on Serenade.

I was on Serenade again this past two weeks in Norway and some of the programs were new, but they still had the same episodes of sitcoms that we saw in April. Sad.

They actually had the very same episodes of sitcom shows that were on in your April cruise during the last two weeks....LOL! I rest my case RCCL it is most definitely time you improve your TV programming for in the passenger rooms. Thanks for posting this today Mek! :)

On four of our cruises over the winter, four different ships, same stupid reruns

that were on six months before. :(

RCI....show those movies on our cabin TV's that you are showing for free

in the cinema and pool deck screen!!

Of the tens of millions of guests that Royal sees every year only a small percentage of cruisers cruise enough to realize that the shows are just repeats. I don't think that Royal will spend any money to upgrade their TV service to please this small group of cruisers.

It's not like people are deciding which cruise line to sail on based on the TV programs available. Why put money into changing something that really isn't going to gain/lose them customers.

Of the tens of millions of guests that Royal sees every year only a small percentage of cruisers cruise enough to realize that the shows are just repeats. I don't think that Royal will spend any money to upgrade their TV service to please this small group of cruisers.

It's not like people are deciding which cruise line to sail on based on the TV programs available. Why put money into changing something that really isn't going to gain/lose them customers.

Once again, if you don't want to watch the TV....the off button can be used.

For those of us that would like to watch a few things while relaxing in our cabin,

the programming used to be pretty good, now it is terrible. There are sea days,

especially bad weather days, that sometimes we don't feel like reading or being

glued to a different type of electronic box (reference how many on CC complain

about how slow the internet is).

No extra charge to show the same movies they already are showing on board

for free at the cinema and the pool screen. How is that spending more money?

Edited by island lady

Once again, if you don't want to watch the TV....the off button can be used.

For those of us that would like to watch a few things while relaxing in our cabin,

the programming used to be pretty good, now it is terrible. There are sea days,

especially bad weather days, that sometimes we don't feel like reading or being

glued to a different type of electronic box (reference how many on CC complain

about how slow the internet is).

No extra charge to show the same movies they already are showing on board

for free at the cinema and the pool screen. How is that spending more money?

I made no comment as to whether or not I watched TV nor did I make a comment about others watching it.

I simply stated that I didn't think that Royal would invest any money into improving the service and my reasoning why.

For the record my kids are a little miffed at the lack of channels and I do agree with you that it shouldn't be a big deal to show the same movies that are on the pool screen on the in room TV's.

I think that's really the bottom line.

I made no comment as to whether or not I watched TV nor did I make a comment about others watching it.

I simply stated that I didn't think that Royal would invest any money into improving the service and my reasoning why.

For the record my kids are a little miffed at the lack of channels and I do agree with you that it shouldn't be a big deal to show the same movies that are on the pool screen on the in room TV's.

Thanks, sorry I misunderstood you. Send me to walk the gang plank! :(

My comment indeed was there would be no cost involved if they showed those

movies that are already on board showing for free in the cinema and the pool

deck big screen. Sometimes we would like to see those movies in our jammies! ;)

We tried to see a movie on a rainy sea day on Serenade in the cinema. Arrived

20 minutes early, and found no seats available at all, plus were told pax were

in there an hour early to secure a seat. :eek: Naturally no one wants to watch

a movie on the pool screen when it is raining either. ;)

Edited by island lady

Thanks, sorry I misunderstood you. Send me to walk the gang plank! :(

My comment indeed was there would be no cost involved if they showed those

movies that are already on board showing for free in the cinema and the pool

deck big screen. Sometimes we would like to see those movies in our jammies! ;)

We tried to see a movie on a rainy sea day on Serenade in the cinema. Arrived

20 minutes early, and found no seats available at all, plus were told pax were

in there an hour early to secure a seat. :eek: Naturally no one wants to watch

a movie on the pool screen when it is raining either. ;)

Are you sure about that? Distributors normally charge a different amount for a movie to be shown once a week than they do for unlimited showings. Maybe it's different for cruise lines, but I'm fairly certain that there would be a higher price, one which that RCI would probably not be willing to pay.

Edited by Fouremco

Are you sure about that? Distributors normally charge a different amount for a movie to be shown once a week than they do for unlimited showings. Maybe it's different for cruise lines, but I'm fairly certain that there would be a higher price, one which that RCI would probably not be willing to pay.

These are second run DVD movies on board that are already being shown

multiple times during the week. Think DVD movies on your airline flight.

No one contacts me for royalties when I run a DVD at home.

If you find differently, I would love to hear about your research.

Edited by island lady

Of course there would be licensing fees involved if Royal were to allow these films in every cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While it's true that the movies are being shown multiple times per week, they are only being shown in a very small number of venues (cinema, pool). Showing them in every room would be adding hundreds or thousands of venues. As far as showing movies on an airplane, again, that's one venue (the plane). The price they pay is not just related to how many times a movie is shown, it's also related to the number of places it's shown. It's not like Royal Caribbean simply purchased a DVD and can therefore show it whenever/wherever they want to.

Edited by time4u2go

Of course there would be licensing fees involved if Royal were to allow these films in every cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And your research is based on what?

Those movies are already being run for free at the cinema and on the pool

screen, and even some in the theater. What is the difference if those movies

are being shown at the same time on the TV's in your cabin if you can't find

a seat in the cinema, or it is raining on the pool deck?

These are second run DVD movies...not first time films at your neighborhood

theater. RCI is not collecting a free to watch these movies, thus there is no

share of the profits to pay for showing.

Edited by island lady