Ship hits dock in Ketchikan

tracyktn

The Celebrity Infinity hit the dock in Ketchikan today. Thankfully looks like no injuries. Berth III in Ketchikan will most likely be closed for some time. There will probably be more ships having to anchor and tender guests in with one of the docks being out of commission. Ketchikan weather was calling for windgusts of up to 45 mph today.

Check out youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxiSLzP7Lc

Article:

http://www.krbd.org/2016/06/03/celebrity-cruise-ship-infinity-hits-damages-ketchikan-dock/

http://mvwildblue.blogspot.ca/2016/06/2016-13-cruise-ship-damages-city-float.html

The Pearl made a clean exit into the heavy winds. Then Infinity started approaching from the north. As she nosed her bow towards the City Float cruise ship dock, a big gust pushed her bow even further towards shore. Moored just to the north of City Float is the Zaandam. Having watched many a ship dock here in Ketchikan, it appeared to Alex, that Infinity was too close to shore, and too close to Zaandam! Alex stated this fact out-loud, but failed to start rolling the cell phone video. Darn!

Both the Infinity's stern and bow thrusters running hot apparently couldn't keep the ship from gaining towards shore and the moored Zaandam. A bow only starboard thrust would allow a soft landing square to the dock, but would push the stern to port and shore-ward, and since the Infinity's stern was overlapped with the forward part of Zaandam, a collision would occur. The pilot's only choice was to continue thrusting to starboard and moving forward.

When the forward sections of the Infinity hull ground into the City Float piling, a loud metal-on-metal noise could be heard. Once clear of Zaandam's bow, the stern thruster helped square up the boat. But the cruise ship dock, catwalk, piling, auxiliary inside float and Infinity's port side suffered.

A flesh wound.... Time for the replicators....

hull%2Bcarving.jpg

Wow! We will be docking in Ketchikan on Monday 6/13 on the Grand Princess. Is there any way to see the port schedule (now surely amended) to determine if we will have to now tender there or not?

Grand Princess is scheduled to be docked at berth 4 according to the cruise schedule http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Ketchikan-KTN-2016.pdf there has been no amended schedule published yet

Whoops, we're supposed to be at berth 3 on Seven Seas Mariner on June 13. Fingers crossed.

From looking at the videos and the different articles on the Internet, it is almost certain that you won't be docking at berth 3, it is possible that you will have to tender in Ketchikan as the ships that arrive earlier will likely dock on the other cruise piers

Yup, dallas16, figured we wouldn't be using that pier. Was just crossing fingers about not having to tender. However it goes, we'll just roll with it.

From an article I've just read. http://www.ktoo.org/2016/06/04/damage-estimated-up-to-3m-after-cruise-ship-smashes-ketchikan-dock/

more information will be released today on changes to the berthing arrangements and which ships will be tendering, there will be a report released after an engineer flew in to inspect the damage over the weekend

I was on our balcony on the Infinity during it's approach to the pier on June 3rd. It was obvious that we were approaching too quickly for a 'soft' landing. Considering the damage I am sure the pier will be out of commission for several weeks/months while it is being repaired. A few hours after the incident we moved to another pier and were allowed to disembark. We were only 2 hours behind the original disembarkation schedule, but we didn't sail away until 1:45 a.m. the following morning (five hours behind schedule).

;)

Edited by FengShui@Sea

Hey guys, when I mentioned about the ship wreck at work today, someone asked, were there drugs or drink involved, said I didn't know, but did that question come up the other day in Ketchikan? Someone else at work said, that captain is in a world or trouble. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Hey guys, when I mentioned about the ship wreck at work today, someone asked, were there drugs or drink involved, said I didn't know, but did that question come up the other day in Ketchikan? Someone else at work said, that captain is in a world or trouble. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Amazing how many maritime experts there are "at work".[emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is no evidence of drinks or drugs, the ship tried to dock and the wind overpowered the cruise ship's thrusters which meant that the ship became pretty much uncontrollable.

Infinity was lucky to hit the cruise pier which meant that there wasn't as much damage to the cruise ship. There was a possibility that the ship could have hit the Zaandam which could have caused a lot more damage to both ships. It was an accident

Edited by dallas16

Per an article I read today, cruise pier repairs have started and set to be complete by 5th July, damage not quite as severe as thought, no underwater damage, no replacement billings/ berthing dolphins required as damage can be repaired. Cruise ships are likely to tender passengers to berth 3 where there is no alternative berth available for the ship to ensure that local businesses do not lose any trade

I was on our balcony on the Infinity during it's approach to the pier on June 3rd. It was obvious that we were approaching too quickly for a 'soft' landing. Considering the damage I am sure the pier will be out of commission for several weeks/months while it is being repaired. A few hours after the incident we moved to another pier and were allowed to disembark. We were only 2 hours behind the original disembarkation schedule, but we didn't sail away until 1:45 a.m. the following morning (five hours behind schedule).

;)

I believe you did arrive in Vancouver nearly on time.

Cheers!

Dennis

I was referring to disembarking two hours late for our port stop in Ketchikan. We arrived in Vancouver right on time, going at an easy pace. ;)

Holly

Per an article I read today, cruise pier repairs have started and set to be complete by 5th July, damage not quite as severe as thought, no underwater damage, no replacement billings/ berthing dolphins required as damage can be repaired. Cruise ships are likely to tender passengers to berth 3 where there is no alternative berth available for the ship to ensure that local businesses do not lose any trade

I found this which indicates what you said. Is this the article you read too?

http://www.krbd.org/2016/06/07/dock-repair-starting-tourist-traffic-changes/

That's good news for us since we don't sail until August.

I found this which indicates what you said. Is this the article you read too?

http://www.krbd.org/2016/06/07/dock-repair-starting-tourist-traffic-changes/

That's good news for us since we don't sail until August.

Hi yep that's the article I read. At least the damage isn't as bad as first feared and the repairs can be done quite quickly