Which Alaskan Cruise?

JamsN4

DF and I just decided last night to do an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon (in September)!!!

So excited as he swore he would never cruise. I have been on 3 (with Carnival) and love them. We both always loved the idea of visiting Alaska and this is the one way he is willing to cruise. Win win :) This will be my first experience with Norwegian

So now gotta get to planning quick (it was only a six month engagement)

We have three choices during our time frame. Looking to get feedback on which one would be most scenic, offers more activity etc.

Choice are:

7 Day Glacier Bay (round trip from Seattle) - Pearl

10 Day Glacier Bay (embark Seattle, disembark Vancouver) - Jewel

7 Day Sawyer Glacier (embark Seward, disembark Vancouver)- Sun

I appreciate any feedback, advice and perhaps even warnings. I am kinda concerned that the 10 day might be too much time for a 1st timer who is not used to the entire vacation theory (workaholic).

TIA & Happy Friday!!

There is no bad Alaska cruise. But the Pearl is an excellent choice. And....if you want to really splurge and get suite service, get SF cabin 10664 or 10164. These are stern, aft facing, large balcony, smaller suites, previously called the Romance Suites. But, in any case, I vote for the Pearl.

Which works better for your schedule:

Seattle- Saturday to Saturday: Jewel

Seattle- Sunday to Sunday: Pearl

Vancouver B.C.-Monday- Monday: Sun

Any of the three would be a great cruise.

Enjoy and best wishes

We can make either of the 3 options work for us. The 10 day cruise is not much more than the 7 day which is why he is even entertaining the idea. Hey- if you're gonna spend on airfare might as well make it worth it :)

Our wedding is the 10th. To avoid that rushed feeling we will be waiting til the following week to cruise with the exception of the Seward which embarks on the 12th.

Which works better for your schedule:

Seattle- Saturday to Saturday: Jewel

Seattle- Sunday to Sunday: Pearl

Vancouver B.C.-Monday- Monday: Sun

Any of the three would be a great cruise.

Enjoy and best wishes

Can you share more of why you favor the Pearl?

There is no bad Alaska cruise. But the Pearl is an excellent choice. And....if you want to really splurge and get suite service, get SF cabin 10664 or 10164. These are stern, aft facing, large balcony, smaller suites, previously called the Romance Suites. But, in any case, I vote for the Pearl.

I would go for the 10 day on the Jewel. You get Sitka & Icy Strait in addition to the usual Alaskan port. Plus you get Glacier Bay which is fabulous. The Jewel is a great ship. We were on the Jewel a couple of years ago and loved it.

Thank you for your feedback Cruisebie.

I noticed you have had your share of Carnival Cruises. What, in your opinion, would be the biggest differences between Carnival and Norwegian? I personally have always enjoys the laid back style of the Carnival guests however that is all I have ever experienced therefore have nothing to compare it to.

I would go for the 10 day on the Jewel. You get Sitka & Icy Strait in addition to the usual Alaskan port. Plus you get Glacier Bay which is fabulous. The Jewel is a great ship. We were on the Jewel a couple of years ago and loved it.

I think the biggest difference is the freestyle dining. It's more like going to a restaurant on land and there is a larger variety of restaurants to choose from if you include the "for pay" ones. Also NCL has a dress up or not night instead of elegant night, so no need to dress up unless you want to. Entertainment is way better than Carnival, although thats not as much of a factor in Alaska. Both lines are pretty laid back so no worries there. If you've been happy on Carnival, I think you'll like NCL.

We've done the Pearl/Alaska twice and loved it. You can't go wrong. But we've decided our next cruise will be on the Sun. One of the things we really enjoy about the Alaskan cruise is sitting on our balcony and watching the beautiful scenery and wildlife as we cruise through the inside passage. The passage is so serene as the waters are protected by mountains and thus the cruise is very smooth. The Sun cruises through more inside passage than the Pearl or Jewel and also passes by two glaciers instead one glacier as does the Pearl and Jewel. A balcony cabin is a must. We always ask our room steward for extra blankets which we use to cover up our legs while sitting on the balcony. Some days, especially near the glaciers, it can get chilly.

No matter which cruise you choose you can't go wrong.

If you can tour around on your own before the cruise, I would do the southbound cruise out of Seward. We did the opposite last year, departing Vancouver, cruise ending in Seward, then rented a car and toured inland AK on our own for 9 nights.

If you aren't going to tour inland AK before the cruise out of Seward, then I would choose the one on the Jewel. More days in AK is always better!

We were in 10166 on the Pearl on 5/5-5/15 and loved it!!! Watching the whales from our big balcony, sipping hot cocoa brought by the butler was unbelievable! We sent our 47th wedding anniversary cruising Glacier Bay...the trip of a lifetime. Happy Wedding!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did our 3rd Alaska cruise last September. I believe it was September 19-29, and was the season finale before heading south. It was hands down our favorite Alaska trip. Weather was glorious (always changeable though) except for rain in Sitka. That did not keep us from visiting a bear sanctuary and a raptor hospital. If you choose this one, be sure save some room in your luggage to carry back winter clothing bargains. Wish we had...their parkas, fleece, coats were a steal since their tourist season was coming to a close!

Can you share more of why you favor the Pearl?

The Pearl, Jewel, and the Sun are all great ships. However, the Pearl and the Alaska cruise was our first. So I guess she is just a sentimental favorite. We've cruised her maybe 6 times, including two PC cruises. We've been on the Jewel three times, and the Sun I think four or five. I like the smaller ships, especially the "Jewel class" ships best, more so than the Getaway which we've sailed a couple of times. She is also a beautiful and nice ship...just too big and busy for us. The Sun is the smallest of the ships and a somewhat different design. She doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the others. However, because of that, she is a relaxed and comfortable ship. And the Sun has excellent mini suites that have the biggest bathroom/dressing area of any of the ships. If you do select the Sun, try for one of those. However, NCL mini suites do not have real suite privileges. So, picking any one of those three would make me happy any time. Also, all three of those ships have the excellent Great Outdoors and a forward bar/observation Spinnaker lounge.

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

We are doing the B2B on the Sun... Vancouver to Seward and back again... Sept 5-12, and 12-19... so join us! :)

We're Platinum on Carnival, and find that they're more alike than different. We actually prefer the fun factor more on Carnival, but NCL has that free UBP and dining package that was too good to pass up, so we're going to make our own fun. :D:p:D

Which ever you decide, I'm sure it will be a fantastic honeymoon, and hopefully you'll get him addicted to cruising!! :D:)

Celine

We're partial to the "Jewel Class" ships in NCL's fleet, so either the Pearl or the Jewel would be our choice. We have sailed the Sun; it is a bit older, I think, and not quite a nice for our tastes. There's also a lengthy thread on here about a persistent sewage smell aft on the Sun.

So we would then choose by itinerary with the choice down to Jewel or Pearl. There's an advantage of sailing round trip from Seattle: air fares will be lower (the Canadians have higher airport taxes so fares into Vancouver are usually higher). That may not be a factor this year because air fares are so low.

We sailed into Glacier Bay once and it was spectacular. So the itinerary that we would choose would be a combination of the ship class we like the most, the overall cost when taking airfare into consideration, and the ports / cruising places like Glacier Bay that we like the most.

Since Alaska is one of the best places for first time cruises - you can't go wrong with any of them.

I have been on the Pearl back in 12 to AK - one of my favorite cruises - we were in an Aft suite - 10166 and loved the big balcony and the small amount of wind - would also recommend 10164 or 10664 (the two corner suites)

Also in AK the SE suites on the bow are also great for scenery viewing. Deck 9 is the best one here.

The Jewel will be on her last cruise of the season - which means leaving from Seattle and ending in Vancouver BC - the add ons for this trip include Glacier Bay as well as Sitka and Icy Strait Point. Also being the last cruise, most of the gift shops offer sales on swag.

AK is considered a port intensive cruise so you are not onboard just hanging out for very long - also for the most part you have land on both sides of the ship that is very nice to look at - as well as wildlife to try and find. Hardly any way to be bored.

Contrats on your wedding and no matter which cruise you choose you will love it.

We have been using the Sun now for 5 years and it never gets old. (We do round trip out of Vancouver, 14 days!) Try to stay away from Seattle to Seattle cruises, they are a rip off. You don't really get the true "inside passage" that way. You miss out on a lot as they spend a LOT of time up front and coming back at sea. (Not inside Vancouver Island as the ones from Vancouver do.) Also, some get you a port in Canada that is mostly a waste of time due to the time they get there and leave.

That 10 day does look tasty though.

23 years of going to Alaska now and see no reason to stop.

Congrats!

The one-way northbound or southbound are the better cruises (i.e. not the roundtrips from Seattle). Basically, the inside passage cruises. Less time in open water, more time closer to shore with a lot more whales and sealife.

I've been on the Sun 4 weeks this year, and another 4 in 2014. I don't find it a stand out ship, as far as that goes, compared to NCL's newer ships. :)

But Alaska is about itinerary. :) Pluses with each of your list. I have also sailed Carnival multiple times in Alaska, along with NCL. The plus of Carnival, is they have one of the top 3 ship naturalists sailing Alaska, can really enhance the trip.

There are differences with glaciers and ports, so find out about EACH one and determine, where you want to spend your time. It is NOT "Icy Strait" which is the water way. It is actually Hoonah. Icy Strait Point is a contacted compound, that actually is very nicely done.

Be aware, that although claims of nice weather, odds are against it, so be well prepared in your attire. Other significant difference is lack of daylight, it will be dark by 7pm,

With Tracy Arm, my opinion, it is "necessary" to purchase the add on ship excursion as it is grossly superior to the cruise line transfer.

If the Sun, allows you a couple extra days also a plus, since an overnight in Seward and activities are outstanding. Be aware of distances and transportation needed between Anchorage and Seward.

Head over to the Alaska board.

I am so jealous of Budget queen and the time you spend in Alaska! When we were planning our last trip she was such a HUGE help with everything! With that being said I agree with pp that there is not a 'bad' choice. However, i personally favor glacier bay above all else and would make sure my itinerary includes it! My other advice for what is worth is that with all these round trips you lose out on the open jaw ability to explore the land portion of Alaska which is equally (if not more) incredible - thats just something to think about! Either way not matter which you choose, Alaska is incredible!