Friend wants 9am flight in Miami--disembarks in Ft Lauderdale

myfuzzy

First let me say I fully expect her to miss the flight.

Second, there's a chance this would work.

• If the ship is docked and they begin disembarkation at 7am
  • If she self-disembarks
  • If there are no customs delays
  • If she takes a cab directly to the airport
  • If she already has her boarding pass printed on or her mobile device
  • If she has no luggage to check
  • If she's already enrolled in TSA PreCheck

...so you're saying there's a chance!

I've actually done something very similar. If she packs light, is TSA-pre and has airline status, she's got a chance of pulling it off. Here's the way it could work:

1) If the ship is due in at 7 am, it will probably dock between 4:30 and 5:30 am and clear within 60 minutes.

2) Her flight situation would probably earn her the chance to get off the ship with the first group (talk to the purser personnel early in the week and double check the evening before departure), perhaps as early as 6:45 am. I'd advise her to pack light, so that she can carry her luggage off, rather than trying to find her bag at the pier.

3) If she is first off, she should be able to exit within 30 minutes, maybe even sooner, if she walks off with all her bags. So she's streetside by 7:30 am.

4) Grab the first cab, and, assuming weekend traffic, she'd be at the airport by 8:05 or so, enough time to check a bag, rush through the security line and make it.

As for airline status, status could provide her with a seat on a later flight, should she not make her flight. Another alternative would be to purchase a backup reservation on Southwest and then cancel it (no penalty, provided she uses the funds for another Southwest flight within a year) should she make her desired flight. She needs some backup plan, as weekend flights out of MIA are full of cruise passengers and she wouldn't want to get stuck there for a day or two.

Another factor would be the downside if she can't make it to work; if her employer can provide some slack, tell him/her up front what the situation is and that you may be late for work or a no-show, if things blow up. If she would lose her job if she misses the shift, that's another matter.

Having said all that, I sure wouldn't recommend it. But it can be done.

=========================

(By way of explanation, I travel a lot and I'm willing to take some risk if it will save me significant time or big bucks on airfare. I even missed the first night of a cruise out of Rotterdam, as, in that case, my back up plan was to meet the ship the second day in Southampton and I was flying to AMS through Heathrow. Not the best situation but it worked out.)

Talk $$ to her. Cab to Miami will cost close to $120.One Way! FLL airport has all the lower cost airlines. Got Southwest? Or switch to a Miami cruise on CCL or NCL.

Edited by zoncom

4) Grab the first cab, and, assuming weekend traffic, she'd be at the airport by 8:05 or so, enough time to check a bag, rush through the security line and make it.

/QUOTE]

This is the killer - even if all the other highly unlikely "IFS" worked out in her favor this one would finish her. How many people arriving at Miami airport at 8:05 do you think will clear security by 8:35 - in time to get to the gate by 8:45 - the cut off time for reservations for a 9:00 flight to be honored?

Unless, of course, you add one more "IF": if her flight leaves from a gate almost immediately next to the security area, so it would take her no more than ten minutes. Have you ever used Miami airport?

As one interested in permutations, and figuring (very generously) that each of your essential four ifs has one chance in two of working out in her favor, she has a .5 x .5 x .5 x.5 chance of making it - that works out to 1 chance in 16; not great odds.

I seem to remember a thread on Cruise Critic about a year ago discussing an INS computer failure resulting in nobody getting off any ship in any port until after 10 or 11.

Your coworker needs to be introduced to Murphy or O'Brian (O'Brian=Murphy was an optimist).:)

Well, she came to work yesterday and told me she found a cruise in November on the "Fun Ship". I just told her "go for it" and let me know how it works out. Thanks everyone, for your input.

But did she book the 9am flight?

Need input from others for my friend who wants to take a cruise from Ft Lauderdale. However, the flights she wants are into Miami. On dis embarkation day she has to get to work, she works 3-11. She thinks she can get off the ship by 7, get to Miami airport by 8 and get the flight by 9 so she can get home by noon and have plenty of time to get to work. I told her she is nuts, but won't listen to me. I told her I would pose the question here to see what others think....thoughts for her. (P.S. we are NOT sailing together)

I read this and can only think of two things: Cannot attribute the first one but "Good luck with that!" and what Ron White says (or used in his routine) "You can't fix stupid."

Did you manage to not laugh in her face?

I read this and can only think of two things: Cannot attribute the first one but "Good luck with that!" and what Ron White says (or used in his routine) "You can't fix stupid."

Did you manage to not laugh in her face?

Fortunately, I was able to contain myself "outside", but inside I was ROFLMAO!

Shes looking at the Conquest in November

Well then you still have time to share your experience and expertise with her. The plan she hopes will work, will not work. I know I would not want to spend my whole cruise worrying about this, and subconsciously, that's what happens.

I have a coworker with a recent story about missing a flight from a small airport to a larger airport. He got home after some 16 hours, after renting a car and driving to another smaller airport to catch a different flight. He was on standby for something like 9 flights during the day (no status-kept getting bumped). I imagine there would be a similar scenario for missing a flight from a large airport to a small airport--fewer flights and those mostly booked. Good luck to your coworker!

Well, she came to work yesterday and told me she found a cruise in November on the "Fun Ship". I just told her "go for it" and let me know how it works out. Thanks everyone, for your input.

Anyone want to make book as to what time her plane is scheduled to arrive on the day of embarkation? :)

While reading through it, I noted a couple or so people mentioned that if she packed lightly in order not to have to check luggage, that would go a long way toward helping her make her flight.

In my opinion, someone with entitlement mentality (or may just young, inexperienced, and naive) would pack many bags. After all, she has to show off her lovely wardrobe, she has to change several times a day depending on her activity schedule, and ofop course there's dressing up for dinner every night.

Aaaaand this sounded harsh. I'm really just laughing at the situation and I honestly don't means any harm.

There was a similar thread a couple of years ago with someone wanting to get a flight that EVERYONE advised against. The OP kept coming back saying how he felt he was going to be able to do it. It wasn't just him, he would have a couple of kids to drag along as well.:eek: Said he would come back and post.

I may have missed it but I never saw him come back to report. My guess is he didn't make it and certainly couldn't come back and admit his miscalculations.:D

While reading through it, I noted a couple or so people mentioned that if she packed lightly in order not to have to check luggage, that would go a long way toward helping her make her flight.

In my opinion, someone with entitlement mentality (or may just young, inexperienced, and naive) would pack many bags. After all, she has to show off her lovely wardrobe, she has to change several times a day depending on her activity schedule, and ofop course there's dressing up for dinner every night.

Aaaaand this sounded harsh. I'm really just laughing at the situation and I honestly don't means any harm.

I agree it does sound harsh. Many people on this thread come across as rather mean, unpleasant people who take pleasure in others' misfortune, and who are always happy to believe and spread the worst about people.

Remember that the woman concerned hasn't posted on this thread. All the aggressive unpleasantness towards her character is based on what her "friend" gently hints at. It may be more fun to sound off about someone's "entitlement mentality" than about her inappropriate travel plans, but it's not in this case based on evidence.

This isn't just about you, mammajamma. There are lots of people on this thread who are IMO far too happy about someone else's likely misfortune.

There was a similar thread a couple of years ago with someone wanting to get a flight that EVERYONE advised against. The OP kept coming back saying how he felt he was going to be able to do it. It wasn't just him, he would have a couple of kids to drag along as well.:eek: Said he would come back and post.

I may have missed it but I never saw him come back to report. My guess is he didn't make it and certainly couldn't come back and admit his miscalculations.:D

Wasn't that the thread where a sil booked their flight to arrive in Houston about noon or something like that on the day of the cruise and then they had to drive to Galveston? If so the op did come back eventually and tell everyone that the sil did make changes so they would make the ship. But it did take some time for him to convince the sil.

I agree it does sound harsh. Many people on this thread come across as rather mean, unpleasant people who take pleasure in others' misfortune, and who are always happy to believe and spread the worst about people.

Remember that the woman concerned hasn't posted on this thread. All the aggressive unpleasantness towards her character is based on what her "friend" gently hints at. It may be more fun to sound off about someone's "entitlement mentality" than about her inappropriate travel plans, but it's not in this case based on evidence.

This isn't just about you, mammajamma. There are lots of people on this thread who are IMO far too happy about someone else's likely misfortune.

I agree. This one reminds me of "pier runner" threads. I think that the OP contributed to this. She started out as inquiring about a friends plans and then she was some spoiled co-worker.

I am the parent of a spoiled 20-something millennial (Yes, we still pay his phone and car pmt and send care packages). He's currently finishing grad school, while working (now part time so he can wrap up school) a job that includes travel. He actually travels a lot... and often asks my opinion about those travels and other life matters. So if he asks my advise then ignores and does what he wants, he has opened the door for criticism and possibly a "I told ya so". That said, I think the OP originally said he told co-worker he would pose situation on this board. I'm assuming thus, co-worker is aware. If she chooses to ignore his advise as well as other seasoned cruisers on these boards, she has opened that door. I don't think most ppl are being mean or taking glee in her sure to fail plans, but if you seriously ask someone their opinion, but dismiss it cause it's not the answer you want to hear...