Ketchikan - Backup Plan Ideas?

lmkucala

We have a Misty Fjords floatplane tour booked with Family Air on June 27. I'm sure hoping it's not cancelled but I keep reading comments of people that suggest having a backup plan in case it is. Besides wandering Creek Street and taking trails, etc. what do people suggest or what have people done? Our current plan was to do the flightplane tour (scheduled for 7:30) and then Married Man's trail and shopping.

What kind of tours might be available at dockside? Other suggestions of things we could do on our own to get a taste of the area?

We booked no tours for Ketchikan and instead just walked through Creek Street, MM trail up to the top, back down and around. Enjoyed a plate of biscuits & gravy at the Pioneer Cafe and did some shopping. Didn't get around to walking over to the LumberJack show. Finished up by sitting in Lido-aft hot tubs.

There is a great little smoked salmon outlet that offers tasting somewhere in town

called "The Salmon Market" We bought a case of some of their excellent canned

salmon this last time, always one of our favorite places to stop. Never get tired

of wondering around Creek street. Always seems to be something to discover each time.

We have a Misty Fjords floatplane tour booked with Family Air on June 27. I'm sure hoping it's not cancelled but I keep reading comments of people that suggest having a backup plan in case it is. Besides wandering Creek Street and taking trails, etc. what do people suggest or what have people done? Our current plan was to do the flightplane tour (scheduled for 7:30) and then Married Man's trail and shopping.

What kind of tours might be available at dockside? Other suggestions of things we could do on our own to get a taste of the area?

If the weather is bad and your tour is cancelled, you might want to check out the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center:

http://www.alaskacenters.gov/ketchikan.cfm

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tongass/recreation/outdoorlearning/recarea/?recid=78948&actid=120

http://www.alaska.org/detail/southeast-alaska-discovery-center

The links above also include additional information about Ketchikan and the Tongass National Forest.

The one-hour trolley tour is fairly cheap, and an easy way to get up to Saxman Village to see the totems and the rainforest (it would be a bit of a hike on foot). You also get a nice overview of the sites in town and its history - our driver, Dylan, was funny and informative, gave us plenty of time to explore the totems and told us lots about their history and traditions, and we had time to browse the Saxman Village Gift Shop, which has many nice, affordable made-in-Alaska items and some beautiful art. Afterward, he dropped those of us who wanted to wander Creek Street off at the entrance, and took the remaining few back to the pier.

Ketchikan really is a great town just to wander. I walked all of Creek Street, up around to the salmon ladder, then back to Creek Street via Married Man's Trail, and finally just wandered the streets going into any shop that looked interesting, all the way down to the far west pier where the last of the ships was docked.

At the west end of Creek Street, there is the Tongass Historical Museum - admission is about $5. Small museum, but very interesting and an easy way to spend an hour or two. The Southeast Alaska Discovery Center is bigger and more devoted to natural history, but also very interesting and well worth the donation.

The one-hour trolley tour is fairly cheap, and an easy way to get up to Saxman Village to see the totems and the rainforest (it would be a bit of a hike on foot). You also get a nice overview of the sites in town and its history - our driver, Dylan, was funny and informative, gave us plenty of time to explore the totems and told us lots about their history and traditions, and we had time to browse the Saxman Village Gift Shop, which has many nice, affordable made-in-Alaska items and some beautiful art. Afterward, he dropped those of us who wanted to wander Creek Street off at the entrance, and took the remaining few back to the pier.

Ketchikan really is a great town just to wander. I walked all of Creek Street, up around to the salmon ladder, then back to Creek Street via Married Man's Trail, and finally just wandered the streets going into any shop that looked interesting, all the way down to the far west pier where the last of the ships was docked.

At the west end of Creek Street, there is the Tongass Historical Museum - admission is about $5. Small museum, but very interesting and an easy way to spend an hour or two. The Southeast Alaska Discovery Center is bigger and more devoted to natural history, but also very interesting and well worth the donation.

This all sounds perfect - I think exactly what you described will be a GREAT back-up plan! THANK YOU!

I have seen that boat before. Kind of like stadium seating on a large boat. Very odd

looking, but I am guessing it works pretty well.

Crabs looked delicious!! Can't wait until we enjoy a couple of those in Hoonah

(Icy Strait). :D

Seems to be one of the first tours to sell out, though...(the crab fisherman's tour)...the museum is supposed to be very nice...planning to do it this trip since we haven't been before. There's a boat trip that goes to the Misty Fjords, too...we booked that instead of the flight knowing that flights were often cancelled but the boat rarely was...the boat went fine...some flights did not go off.

We caught a local bus and went to Totem Bight State Park about 20 min outside of the city. The bus runs hourly so you can take your time to walk through the park and learn about totem pole symbolism. When you get off the ship, stop at the visitor center and ask for directions to the bus, it was across the street from the liquid sunshine gauge. Be sure to have cash on hand for bus fair.

Here is a recap of our day in port: http://72hourstogo.blogspot.com/2015/08/day-16-ketchikan-alaska-and-last-day-at.html

The Southeast Alaska Discovery Center (Green roof)1 block east of the cruise ship is very informative about the history of SE Alaska. You can easily spend 2 hours in the Center. The center is run by the National Park Service, you can use your Golden Age Passport to get in for free. Also you can buy your lifetime passport for $10 for those over 62 at the center. One passport covers all people in your party.

We caught a local bus and went to Totem Bight State Park about 20 min outside of the city. The bus runs hourly so you can take your time to walk through the park and learn about totem pole symbolism. When you get off the ship, stop at the visitor center and ask for directions to the bus, it was across the street from the liquid sunshine gauge. Be sure to have cash on hand for bus fair.

Here is a recap of our day in port: http://72hourstogo.blogspot.com/2015/08/day-16-ketchikan-alaska-and-last-day-at.html

You don't need to "ask" someone, if short on boarding time. :)

The bus stop is across the street, between dock 2 and 3. There is a sign near Dock St. on the corner. Line up there. The bus leaves 25 after the hour, and is the Silver bus. $1, over 65 .50

IF it looks to be a large amount of people, then walk back to the first stop, at the Museum (old library), near Creek St., there is a bus shelter out front.

I have seen that boat before. Kind of like stadium seating on a large boat. Very odd

looking, but I am guessing it works pretty well.

Crabs looked delicious!! Can't wait until we enjoy a couple of those in Hoonah

(Icy Strait). :D

Where do you have crab in Hoonah? Love crab and it would make my day.

Where do you have crab in Hoonah? Love crab and it would make my day.

I have had pretty good luck at the Icy Strait Lodge across the street from the ranger station. They also have a great deck for viewing. I went crabbin with Captain Chris two weeks ago.

We also rode the local bus to Totem Bight Park. It was fun. Lots of locals on the bus. One of the stops was a Wal-Mart if you need something. We thought it was good for our son to get a little more of a local feel.

The park was really pretty, right on the ocean with a little beach there. Bald eagles up in the trees.

We also did the Lumberjack show on our own. Corny, but it was fun. Good way to see some of the things lumberjacks do when they compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

should we prebook 1 hr trolley tour or are they easy to get right off of ship?:)

Seems to be one of the first tours to sell out, though...(the crab fisherman's tour)...the museum is supposed to be very nice...planning to do it this trip since we haven't been before. There's a boat trip that goes to the Misty Fjords, too...we booked that instead of the flight knowing that flights were often cancelled but the boat rarely was...the boat went fine...some flights did not go off.

Would you give more details on the Misty Fjords boat trip? We were considering the flight.

Thanks!

should we prebook 1 hr trolley tour or are they easy to get right off of ship?:)

I would pre-book it - it runs several times throughout the day, and the early ones were fairly busy. This was the only excursion that I booked through the ship - my ticket was waiting in my stateroom with instructions on where to meet up, which was nice.

Would you give more details on the Misty Fjords boat trip? We were considering the flight.

Thanks!

The boat tour barely gets in the fiords. Flights are WAY superior. If you are open to flying- then forget a boat tour.

Granted it was way back in 2002 but we took the boat way far into Misty Fjords, saw the petroglyphs and lots of waterfalls and then flew back to Ketchikan. One of the best tours we every took. Never thought to have a backup plan - until we had a helicopter glacier tour cancelled at Juneau. Winged it there and did whale watching and took city bus to Glacier Gardens. Probably just as many last minute options at Ketchikan. Planning to head back up there next year for 40th anniversary.

Granted it was way back in 2002 but we took the boat way far into Misty Fjords, saw the petroglyphs and lots of waterfalls and then flew back to Ketchikan. One of the best tours we every took. Never thought to have a backup plan - until we had a helicopter glacier tour cancelled at Juneau. Winged it there and did whale watching and took city bus to Glacier Gardens. Probably just as many last minute options at Ketchikan. Planning to head back up there next year for 40th anniversary.

There are big differences in the distances, with round trip boat tours and the fly/boat combo- which is a superior option. The round trip boats- barely get into the fiords as I mentioned.