Right cruise for us adults only?

I've seen so many articles about which cruise is right for different groups but there doesn't seem to be one for my husband and I.

We live in Sydney Australia, are in our early 40s but probably act younger as we have no children. We are looking for a young fun cruise with no kids and like quality (4 star or higher).

I've seen so many articles about which cruise is right for different groups but there doesn't seem to be one for my husband and I.

We live in Sydney Australia, are in our early 40s but probably act younger as we have no children. We are looking for a young fun cruise with no kids and like quality (4 star or higher).

Of the cruises you've done so far do you have a preference?

I'd suggest Celebrity

Or Royal

Of the cruises you've done so far do you have a preference?

I liked the décor of Pacific Eden but not the food (also because it was a short cruise there weren't many kids) - also loved Oasis.

I really enjoyed Voyager of Seas but there were quite a few kids (and I don't think they should be in bars). Also I didn't like the solarium area, I like the sun so it was a shame there wasn't an adults area that was really outside.

We are going on Celebrity Solstice in March 2017 so it will be good to compare.

I liked the décor of Pacific Eden but not the food (also because it was a short cruise there weren't many kids) - also loved Oasis.

I really enjoyed Voyager of Seas but there were quite a few kids (and I don't think they should be in bars). Also I didn't like the solarium area, I like the sun so it was a shame there wasn't an adults area that was really outside.

We are going on Celebrity Solstice in March 2017 so it will be good to compare.

I agree with GUT. I think you will enjoy Celebrity. Have you considered cruising from other countries? I have done 2 x cruises on the Celebrity Millenium (mid-sized) from Singapore and Hong Kong and both had a pretty fun crowd onboard. A combination of nationalities and a lot of action at the Martini Bar each night. I did both of my cruises on the Xmas school holidays and I wouldn't say the cruises were over-run by kids even then because you get a fair number of Americans onboard and that's not their major holiday season.

I never saw a kid at the Martini Bar at night (it's not a lounge, it's an actual bar overlooking the atrium) so always lots of good people watching and crowds coming and going. If you're looking for nightclub action I don't think it's your ship though.

I find that the ships cruising from Australia (particularly P&O) have a higher proportion of kids onboard... or maybe it just feels that way because their kids clubs aren't quite as good as the other lines (and are closed at meal times).

Edited by mum and son

Celebrity Solstice will probably be the best fit for you, and your cruise is at the right time to minimize the amount of kids onboard. However there probably will be some. As far as I know there are no adults-only cruises out of Australia on a regular basis.

To maximize your chances of avoiding kids, choose longer cruises ... but then you'll probably find that most passengers are retirees.

I see you are booked on the Solstice next year, of all the ships home basing in Aust I,think that is your best bet. We enjoyed our cruise on Solstice and noticed a mixed crowd so you should be right as long as it's not school holidays.

I see you are booked on the Solstice next year, of all the ships home basing in Aust I,think that is your best bet. We enjoyed our cruise on Solstice and noticed a mixed crowd so you should be right as long as it's not school holidays.

I have a calendar of all schools for the next two years and would never travel at those times. Voyager still had lots of kids (well 10 is lots to me) and it was outside of school holidays.

Celebrity sounds great so looking forward to that and our first time on a beverage package (included but we've upgraded to premium).

I have a calendar of all schools for the next two years and would never travel at those times. Voyager still had lots of kids (well 10 is lots to me) and it was outside of school holidays.

10 kids per 3660 passengers is 0.3%. I think you will never find a lower percentage unless you do a lifestyle cruise or a river cruise on a company that bans those under 21.

Take a look at the Cunard World Cruise Sectors on QM2, QV and QE, not too many rug rats on those I would think. Also P&O UK Arcadia, which is a child free ship.

Just beware of the dogs on QM2, they have 10 dog kennels and no doubt dog walkers trotting them around ye olde promenade deck, I trust they carry a pooper scooper or a plastic bag at least. One does not want to soil one's brand new gleaming white sports shoes, purchased for the cruise, as you do. LOL.

Edited by NSWP

Take a look at the Cunard World Cruise Sectors on QM2, QV and QE, not too many rug rats on those I would think. Also P&O UK Arcadia, which is a child free ship.

Just beware of the dogs on QM2, they have 10 dog kennels and no doubt dog walkers trotting them around ye olde promenade deck, I trust they carry a pooper scooper or a plastic bag at least. One does not want to soil one's brand new gleaming white sports shoes, purchased for the cruise, as you do. LOL.

I agree with looking at the World Cruise sectors, especially ones that come to or leave from Australia. Also look at the ships coming here for the season...they have to get here and then return. Perhaps the re-positioning cruise on Solstice?

I agree with looking at the World Cruise sectors, especially ones that come to or leave from Australia. Also look at the ships coming here for the season...they have to get here and then return. Perhaps the re-positioning cruise on Solstice?

In 2012, we got via a '24 hour cabin sale' a a '2 for 1 deal' on Arcadia, 49 days - Sydney to Southampton, partly obstructed ocean view cabin @ AU$5200 each twin share. We booked the deal 3 weeks before sailing, have passport - will travel !

The Poms doing the whole WC were not happy little Marmites LOL when they heard on the ship's grapevine what the 300 Aussies boarding in Sydney paid. Such is life.

Edited by NSWP

In 2012, we got via a '24 hour cabin sale' a a '2 for 1 deal' on Arcadia, 49 days - Sydney to Southampton, partly obstructed ocean view cabin @ AU$5200 each twin share. We booked the deal 3 weeks before sailing, have passport - will travel !

The Poms doing the whole WC were not happy little Marmites LOL when they heard on the ship's grapevine what the 300 Aussies boarding in Sydney paid. Such is life.

Arcadia sounds great, if only she spent more time down under. There must be other people out there that would like to cruise on Adult only ships.

We are not much older than you in age & no kids, we are reasonably active types (scuba dive, hiking) & also enjoy ships with stylish décor & nice food.

I think you may find the world cruise segments etc demographic too old.

Destination can also affect demographic. We did a Voyager cruise to NZ a few years ago & it was average age 65 - which we felt was too old for us & it seems NZ cruises attract older cruisers from what we have heard & experienced.

Have done Celebrity Solstice out of school holidays to the Pacific & found it had a good mix of 40-60 year olds mostly. Very nice speciality restaurants if you are a foodie, but not the same variety of active options (rock climbing etc) as Royal if you are active.

We enjoy Royal but try to avoid during or near school holidays or the shorter cheaper cruises as they attract families more so than the longer cruises.

I think you will love the Solstice however, if this still doesn't make the grade for you and your husband, Azamara may be worth a try.

Longer cruises and dearer cruises tend to limit the quantities of children on board.

There are also adults only cruises but they tend to cater for another couple of select groups which may or may not suit your tastes (certainly not my taste for cruises).

:rolleyes:

The dogs are exercised in their own area near the kennels, by dedicated kennel staff.

Dogs are transported on Trans-Atlantic cruises only.

Edited by turnip eater

The dogs are exercised in their own area near the kennels, by dedicated kennel staff.

They do walk them on the Promenade deck as well and they have large litter trays for the pets (and perhaps their owners as well.:eek:)

Thanks for that info, so in the absence of Canines on the World Cruises, I might be a chance for an upgrade from Sheltered Balcony cabin on Deck 4 of QM2 to a vacant dog kennel? LOL.

They do walk them on the Promenade deck as well and they have large litter trays for the pets (and perhaps their owners as well.:eek:)

Mic...The dogs and cats would be fed well on QM2, so a few litter trays on ye old teak Promenade Deck would be a necessity.

Edited by NSWP

I love dogs and would be happy to take mine but I think they would prefer to stay at home. No problem at all with dogs, I don't think they would run down the corridors and hog the hubs and pools.

I love dogs and would be happy to take mine but I think they would prefer to stay at home. No problem at all with dogs, I don't think they would run down the corridors and hog the hubs and pools.

Lol, unlike some two legged types hey.;)