Did you Experience This on Adventure?

we were on Adventure last November and it was the worse Windjammer ever. I would agree with the OP the meals there were very repetitive and quite often only one side was open

Breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer is pretty much repetitive on every ship I have been on...not just Adventure! Also one side was usually opened at the start of the meal and when things picked up they would open the other side also! :cool:

Edited by bigque

I too find this hard to believe. The only way this "might" be possible is if it was part of a back stage tour, but it isn't like they are going on the all access ship tour.

Ahh, yes yes yes - that makes sense. But the parents weren't turned away from the theater on a show night. I mean, I have worn flip flops (hey, they had sparkles - they were cute! :p ) to a show in the evening.

Ahh, yes yes yes - that makes sense. But the parents weren't turned away from the theater on a show night. I mean, I have worn flip flops (hey, they had sparkles - they were cute! :p ) to a show in the evening.

I too have worn flip flops to the the shows and had no issues at all, even on formal night. ;) I had to grasp at straws to think of a reason why open toe shoesd would not be allowed at all. Open toe shoes can be worn at the Quest and that would be the "most dangerous" thing I can think of that happens in a theater setting on board that involves the general public.

Maybe the crew member has a foot fetish, and thought those feet should just be covered. :D

Yea Adventure needs Dry Dock indeed. Shows weren't as good, food at windjammer was same everyday. Our room only had extremely hot water, upgraded us to another room and there was a flood in the floor. Deffinately sticking with newer ships, which concludes our reasoning for booking Anthem next year.

I believe you! I don't know whether your parents were just bound and determined to hate cruising and are telling tales, or if they were really confused, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt--response in the quote, in red:

Hello cruise comrades!

1. At the formal dinner seating they were not doing My Time Dining, but they did not have a waiter assigned to them. It was someone different every day. Not standard procedure for sure. I suppose it is possible if there was some major illnesses going around in the crew. Add in that and your parents being confused about assistant waiter/waiter and maybe head waiter pitching in to help in such a situation and perhaps they thought more was being changed than it was.
  2. At the formal dinner they had to pay for extra courses for the meal (getting more than one starter, dessert, etc.) Yeah, no--this is not the case. If your parents actually got that impression either their waiter madea joke that they took seriously, or perhaps they saw the upcharge steaks on the menu and got confused somehow
  3. The ship felt very old, even after the dry dock upgrades well, it is not the newest and most blinged out. Personally, I like many of the older ships--but if you want bigger and every modern bell and whistle, book newer. Did they expect to sail Harmony at Adventure prices?
  4. They felt harassed (more than normal) in the spa
  5. There was only one Specialty Restaurant
  6. At Windjammer they only ever saw the side buffets open - never the back ones could depend on how full the sailing was or how heavily used the buffet was or what times they went into the buffet (as others note, parts are often closed at off times
  7. At the Windjammer they saw the same thing every day (no variety in dishes) sort of yes--there tends to be lots of repeats at breakfast and lunch and some at dinner but should always be some new things as well
  8. The luggage sat in the "employee stairwell" all day and night on the first night and wasn't delivered until late that night (11pm or later) I haven't gotten my luggage so late but I know it can happen--generally if something in the bag looked like "contraband" or if lots of crew members are ill and they are short staffed with healthy people to do it all. I see this as a minor hassle but not a big deal
  9. They were turned away from the main theatre for wearing open-toed shoes?? this makes no sense at all. Perhaps they were turned away for some reason (trying to go to a private event held there, etc?) and just assumed it had something to do with their shoes. That is the only remotely plausible explanation I can come up with
  10. There wasn't a main stage show in the theatre every night this happens once in a while on pretty much every line--but when it does there is always other entertainment onboard and is often on longer cruises or when there is a very late all aboard in port (or an overnight)

I would love any insight into whether any of these things are true and maybe how Royal Caribbean has started doing things. Are there other things that seemed "different" than your normal cruise experience on this ship? My wife and I are going on Adventure this upcoming October and would love to know what to expect.

Thanks everyone!!

:( I'm not trolling. Like I said, I found the things they said to be hard to accept, which is why I brought it here. Yes, this is my first post because everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sorry it seemed fake to some of you :(

I never said anything about my parents paying for my cruise... and It looks like we'll be on the same Adventure sailing on October 1st, so I'll look for you to show you I'm not a "troll".

There are some posts and posters as well that you just need to ignore. If you spend any time on the boards, you'll soon see who answers nicely and who doesn't.;):)

I for one, do not think you are a troll but I DO think your parents were confused about some things. NHDisneylover had a very good post explaining all your points.

Trolls... gonna troll.

Either this or your parents absolutely do not want to pay for your cruise.

I say Troll.

And snarky people are going to snark.

Just WHERE did the OP say anything about the parents paying for their cruise?

We were on Adventure last April and it was great. The ship experience great, the ports great, the staff great, the service great, the passengers great and cruising out of PR great. I enjoyed the variety of food in the Windjammer. I did not personally think the taste of food in the Main dining room or WJ was anything special (meh) and they could certainly use a new pastry chef. Your parents experience was an anomaly. We were able to get in our cabins at 2 and our luggage was waiting for us.

Wow. What a shame that some new members get treated this way. I highly doubt this is someone trolling. Some of the related claims by the OP's parents may seem a bit picky, but everyone has different experiences on a cruise.

I am really disappointed to see new members put down like this. Wow. All of us started here with a first post, even the resident "experts."

I hope the OP continues to be involved with Cruise Critic after that welcome aboard.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

One more thing about my experience in the WJ. I did notice that different things were served in different areas/lines. So, I did walk all the way around and look at all the selections before I decided what I wanted (we never ate dinner there). I would imagine not all the lines are open for dinner because the crowd is less (just guessing). Enjoy your cruise!

Older folks sometimes have issues that younger folks don't.....my elderly uncle cruised, and came back saying the ONLY food available was in the buffet....I think that's where he was directed upon boarding, and he never asked or did any research to find out differently. So.,.he had a dreadful vacation!

Sometimes, older folks will not attempt to find out what options there are. No offense meant!

Quite a generality.

Edited by natty bumppo

I guess I will respond to this thread so I can build up posts and because I was on AoS last year. Most of what was mentioned appears to be caused by some sort of confusion but the food was not good on this ship. Anyone that knows me knows I don't shy away from a buffet but by the third day on this ship I refused to eat at WJ. The food was that bad in my opinion. The rest of the ship I enjoyed. I did the All Access tour and closed toe shoes were required but really not needed. Didn't go anywhere that difficult to navigate but it was enjoyable if you're into that type of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My wife and I are avid cruisers and have been on many Royal Caribbean ships. We cruised Adventure of the Seas in 2010 and had a fantastic time! This past January my parents went on a cruise on Adventure and when they returned they told us some strange things that they encountered that I find hard to believe so I will put it out to you fine people to tell me whether you experienced any of the things they did or they just had a series of unfortunate encounters.

The only things on that list I ever experienced on AOS, or when her sister ships were identical, was the fact only one specialty restaurant exists.

The paying extra during formal dinner is most likely referring to the fact there are a couple extra charge items on the menu, like a Chops Grill filet and a Maine lobster. The regular menu is unchanged though.

AOS has Studio B so perhaps, the nights there was a main stage show were the days of the ice show. Just a guess.

Edited by Aquahound

We have never been on the Adventure.

We have been asked in the past on other Royal Caribbean ships not to wear open toed shoes when doing the galley tour.

We have experienced Windjammer Mediocre on the smaller ships at times, but we do comment about it on our survey emailed to our home.

We were quite surprised about the Windjammer food on the Brilliance this past year. The management do read our comments. The food selection was up several notches. The presentation, choices, and quality of the food were very good. We like it so much that we ate there every night.

The attention from the management and staff reminded me of the old Royal Caribbean style.

We have sailed the Brilliance three times this year.

Edited by Parrotheadtoo

Hello cruise comrades!

1. At the formal dinner seating they were not doing My Time Dining, but they did not have a waiter assigned to them. It was someone different every day.
  2. At the formal dinner they had to pay for extra courses for the meal (getting more than one starter, dessert, etc.)That woudl be a first time I've heard anyhting like that
  3. The ship felt very old, even after the dry dock upgrades The dry dock hasn't happened yet, has it?
  4. They felt harassed (more than normal) in the spa I kind of felt that way on Oasis trying to get through the spa to the gym
  5. There was only one Specialty Restaurant
  6. At Windjammer they only ever saw the side buffets open - never the back ones
  7. At the Windjammer they saw the same thing every day (no variety in dishes)
  8. The luggage sat in the "employee stairwell" all day and night on the first night and wasn't delivered until late that night (11pm or later)
  9. They were turned away from the main theatre for wearing open-toed shoes??That sounds suspect for the main theater
  10. There wasn't a main stage show in the theatre every night This sounds believeable, I think I only go in the theater 2-3 times a cruise.

I would love any insight into whether any of these things are true and maybe how Royal Caribbean has started doing things. Are there other things that seemed "different" than your normal cruise experience on this ship? My wife and I are going on Adventure this upcoming October and would love to know what to expect.

Thanks everyone!!

Adding sentence so forum knows I added something.

Sailed in February. I find all of your list just unnecessary.

What does that mean?

The poster said that his parents went on a cruise and experienced those things. He's asking about them. It's not some list of things he KNOWS about AOS.

OP, I don't know how old your parents are, but I'm a little worried about them. I'm the main caregiver for my mother in law, and she has a diagnosis of vascular dementia, and she's slowly slowly slipping. One of the first thing that started to slip with her is understanding what's really going on. She'll get something in her head and decide that THAT is what is happening, and she won't listen to reason at all.

So I wonder; are your parents healthy? Are you sure? And another dynamic I've seen in long-married couples when one starts to slip is that the healthy spouse just goes along with the unhealthy one. Is this story mainly coming from one parent and the other parent is just letting the other talk? You might want to make sure.

Because that list is very very odd, and generally doesn't go along with reality. If my MIL had brought home a list like that from her one HAL cruise I would have thought that her diagnosis had sped up a bit.

Adding sentence so forum knows I added something.

Bill, with regard to Adventure's dry dock, she had an abbreviated dry dock back in April 2014. They added the pool big screen, changed Portofino to Giovanni's, added the Diamond Club, and installed pervasive wireless. They had planned more, but for whatever reason decided to cut it short. The rest of the improvements are supposed to come in November.

Edited by clarea