Princess Insurance - is this correct?

JF - retired RRT

There's a discussion on one of my roll calls about Princess Insurance. The person who posted this wasn't positive it's correct information. This is what was posted:

We recently had a talk with a favorite TA (whom we don't use however, she's a great acquaintance). She was telling us how she had learned of something about Princess' insurance that astounded her so much that she called Princess several times and talked with several different people of different levels and learned this:

Princess' insurance is very good yet only covers you when on the ship or on a Princess excursion (as in under their control). I would imagine that it kicks in once you are inside the terminal? It does not cover you en route to the ship, in port on your own, or on private excursions.

Does anyone know if this is accurate??

Edited by JF - retired RRT

I spoke to people at the insurance company who run the program (find tel # on the policy) as we were using Princess air for a transatlantic cruise and staying 3 extra days in Rome post cruise but were not using a Princess hotel. What I was told was that the insurance would cover us for up to 4 days pre cruise and 4 days post cruise. Basically from start of trip till our flight home 3 nights later. This would be for Medical which was our concern.

You can call the Program Administrator at the insurance company to get any questions you have answered. The people at Princess do not know the ins and out of the insurance policy.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Edited by SOLIVITA LADY

I spoke to people at the insurance company who run the program (find tel # on the policy) as we were using Princess air for a transatlantic cruise and staying 3 extra days in Rome post cruise but were not using a Princess hotel. What I was told was that the insurance would cover us for up to 4 days pre cruise and 4 days post cruise. Basically from start of trip till our flight home 3 nights later. This would be for Medical which was our concern.

You can call the Program Administrator at the insurance company to get any questions you have answered. The people at Princess do not know the ins and out of the insurance policy.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

You should also be able to print out a hard copy of the policy, including what is, and what is not, covered, from the insurance company website.

...VTX-Al

I don't know how accurate this is, but when I asked repeatedly about the insurance by several different agents at princess, I was told we are only covered while on the cruise. Nothing before,nothing after. Then princess says that other insurance doesn't cover you while on the cruise, but I have gotten it in writing from independent insurance companies I have used that they do. Who knows, thankfully I have only used insurance once for a missed train, it was covered by independent insurance thankfully. Have fun sailing.

We were told that Princess insurance covers only those things that are booked thru Princess. That if you booked EZAir, any non-refundable air expenses are covered. If you booked Princess Transfers, they are covered. But in all honesty, I've never seen insurance thru a cruise line that worked very well.

We booked privately to cover from the time we leave home until we arrive back home (we are staying a week after the cruise, and that time will have coverage as well.) I specifically inquired on the private insurance as to what would happen if someone was in a hospital in another country and couldn't travel home at the scheduled time--they said and sent in writing that the insurance coverage would automatically extend for up to 2 weeks or until you are well enough to travel home, whichever is shorter, and will cover the trip home at that time.

We've only ever made two small claims--one medical center visit and one for minimal expenses due to delay of trip (Princess covered the hotel, so it was basically food). But as my medical insurance doesn't cover us outside the US, I don't feel we can cruise without coverage.

Gosh --how I wish it was easy to determine what and was not covered in the Princess plan!

We used the Princess vacation plan this year for our Alaska cruise as I was not concerned about medical coverage except in Vancouver. When I spoke to the Princess insurance company I was assured that we were covered for a total of 4 additional days split amongst pre and post cruise. This worked well for us. We also have Medjet-assist through AARP.

I'm in the process of sorting out insurance for a 2017 cruise where we will have 4 days pre-cruise and about 6 days post cruise. The Princess $20,000 medical coverage is probably not adequate when one has Medicare and supplemental plans from the US. We also will have an additional 6 days of medical coverage needed. So we will be looking for independent insurance for our next cruise.

Princess insurance covers anything booked through and paid to Princess. Nothing independently booked such as air or hotel. It's "third party" insurance which means you pay the bill, submit a claim and then are reimbursed.

It covers "cancel for any reason" as well as "trip interruption." You don't have to be physically on the ship during a cruise to be covered. In our case, my brother-in-law became critically ill while on the ship, the day before disembarkation. He wound up in the ICU for a month in FLL. His onboard medical expenses ($8,000 -- $2,000 by Blue Shield, $6,000 by Berkley Care) were covered as well as most of both my sister's and my hotel expenses while staying in a hotel near the hospital. We submitted the claim under "trip interruption." My claim was submitted under my sister's claim number. Due to the high onboard medical expense, my sister arranged to have Princess bill her rather than pay onboard. It was paid after receiving the insurance checks.

Princess arranged a special hotel rate for us at Hyatt Place North/Convention Center of $100/day. This was in 2010 and both the Pro Bowl and SuperBowl were played nearby while we were there and hotel rooms were at a premium.

Jim was flown back to CA via MedJet Assist (separate insurance) on a medical jet with nurse and equipment as he was still in critical condition. Berkley Care at first said they would fly him via medical jet but then reversed and said they would only fly him on a commercial flight. Impossible for someone in critical condition with a massive infection. I posted here on CC about this and two hours later, my sister got a call saying they would fly him on a medical jet. Interesting. She'd already contacted MedJet Assist and started the paperwork.

FYI, Medicare does not pay for anything once you step foot on the ship. Only medical expenses on land in the US.

Edited by Pam in CA

I don't know how accurate this is, but when I asked repeatedly about the insurance by several different agents at princess, I was told we are only covered while on the cruise. Nothing before,nothing after. Then princess says that other insurance doesn't cover you while on the cruise, but I have gotten it in writing from independent insurance companies I have used that they do. Who knows, thankfully I have only used insurance once for a missed train, it was covered by independent insurance thankfully. Have fun sailing.

That right there is a bald face lie with Princess! Why get insurance if you aren't insured on a cruise by an independent insurance company. We have Travel Guard the gold plan and we are covered for everything. Travel to the airport, hotel, ship, everything. Does Princess really think people are that gullible to believe them just to sell their policy? I understood a long time ago to never get the policy that is offered by the cruise line as they have their own self interests.

We have always purchased private out of country medical insurance whenever we vacation outside of Canada. We could also purchase private cancellation insurance, but it does not cover "cancel for any reason" like the Princess Platinum does, just things like missed connections, sudden illness, etc.

Prices comparing the two : Princess Platinum is slightly higher, but not by much

Having worked in the Medical Insurance industry (government) for over thirty years we would offer some advice to the posters. 1. Forget everything you "hear," do not pay attention to anything your TA or Princess tells you, and forget applying common sense. The only thing that matters is what is in writing within the policy! And we have lots of issues with all cruise line issued policies (especially the medical coverage/limits) and would not ever consider purchasing such a policy unless we were too old to purchase a non cruise line issued policy.

Hank

Having worked in the Medical Insurance industry (government) for over thirty years we would offer some advice to the posters. 1. Forget everything you "hear," do not pay attention to anything your TA or Princess tells you, and forget applying common sense. The only thing that matters is what is in writing within the policy! And we have lots of issues with all cruise line issued policies (especially the medical coverage/limits) and would not ever consider purchasing such a policy unless we were too old to purchase a non cruise line issued policy.

Hank

This is absolutely true--when push comes to shove, the only thing that matters is what is written in that 12 page document that no one ever reads!

The policies sold by cruise lines typically have a very low amount of medical coverage. It is a joke if you have any idea what hospital bills can typically run. Private policies, in my experience, have much better coverage particularly if you don't buy the lowest end product available.

Until now,, we only used third party policies, however age has caught up and the premiums are way out of sight. For our cruise to Mexico, I opted for Princess Premium. If we were venturing beyond that I would bite the bullet and go back to TG. The cruise would have to be quite intriguing. Lucky so far, but I would not cruise without some sort of insurance.

That right there is a bald face lie with Princess! Why get insurance if you aren't insured on a cruise by an independent insurance company. We have Travel Guard the gold plan and we are covered for everything. Travel to the airport, hotel, ship, everything. Does Princess really think people are that gullible to believe them just to sell their policy? I understood a long time ago to never get the policy that is offered by the cruise line as they have their own self interests.

One should also be aware that Princess and other insurance companies are "secondary" payers. You first must submit your bills to your own private insurance. The "secondary" will pay what your "primary" insurance will not pay. Folks need to check " insuremytrip.com for the different policies. So if you have a $500 med bill and the primary pays $450. The secondary will pay the $50. You may have paid $400 for the cruise insurance and getting only a $50 benefit. Yes, if you have a major need the secondary insurance may be worth the cost. For our cruises we use Travelex They provide "primary" insurance coverage. Used them once, worked fine.

All the best

Until now,, we only used third party policies, however age has caught up and the premiums are way out of sight. For our cruise to Mexico, I opted for Princess Premium. If we were venturing beyond that I would bite the bullet and go back to TG. The cruise would have to be quite intriguing. Lucky so far, but I would not cruise without some sort of insurance.

We are right there with you .............:(

Hank

Only twenty two years working in a state facility :) ...lol

You will consider purchasing a cruise line policy at some point!

Good advice for the younger set :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

We always buy the Princess travel insurance, which is upgraded automatically because of our Captain's Circle status.

Fortunately we have not had to use it while at a port, we have found that it provides excellent secondary coverage for doctor's visits, treatments, and medications while onboard ship. We did have one minor accident while on a Princess excursion, however it was treated onboard.

We are retired and have Medicare plus a supplement insurance, and prior to retirement had insurance through my employer. The Princess insurance covered everything that was denied by those insurances, including medicines prescribed and taken while outside of the USA.

Do check what the policies cover and whether they match your anticipated and emergency needs.

Last time I looked at EZAir, it included travel insurance for the flights.

We also have had an occasion where a TA recommended travel insurance contained a clause where it was not valid for people from my state. That was an important clause to catch. But it takes slogging through a bunch of legalize to catch issues that might be important to you (like coverage for and definition of "pre-existing conditions").

Nothing beats doing your own homework.

There's a discussion on one of my roll calls about Princess Insurance. The person who posted this wasn't positive it's correct information. This is what was posted:

We recently had a talk with a favorite TA (whom we don't use however, she's a great acquaintance). She was telling us how she had learned of something about Princess' insurance that astounded her so much that she called Princess several times and talked with several different people of different levels and learned this:

Princess' insurance is very good yet only covers you when on the ship or on a Princess excursion (as in under their control). I would imagine that it kicks in once you are inside the terminal? It does not cover you en route to the ship, in port on your own, or on private excursions.

We never use any cruiseline's coverage. Way too much fine print that allows for ALL kinds of exclusions. Best to use an independent insurer. Your TA is a good bet here. If they recommend the cruiseline's coverage, they may be getting kickbacks!

I believe that you are covered medically when you are on any excursion or activity while on a Princess cruise. Here is what I'm looking at:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

"2) benefit will be payable only for Covered Expenses resulting from a Sickness that first manifests itself or an Injury that occurs while on a Covered Cruise Vacation"

"Cruise Vacation means a trip for which coverage has been elected and the plan payment paid, and all travel arrangements are arranged by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours prior to the Scheduled Departure Date of the trip."

The way I read it is my travel to say St Thomas was arranged by Princess therefore it would be covered. It would make no sense if you had to be on a Princess Excursion for you to be covered. If you are walking down the street in town and are hit by a car I would say based on the above you are covered. My thought is that Princess Tours is specifically added for situations such as Alaska's cruisetour options where you are on land pre or post cruise on a Princess Tour but technically not on a "cruise".

I will also add I just called the plan administrator (Not Princess) and they confirmed that you are covered for any issues that arise while on the cruise no matter if it is on a Princess Excursion or not. Obviously there are provisions for pre-existing conditions etc.

Of course airfare you book on your own is not covered, but medically it seems that you are.

Thoughts?

Edited by Steelers0854

We were told that Princess insurance covers only those things that are booked thru Princess. That if you booked EZAir' date=' any non-refundable air expenses are covered. [/quote']

I think with EZAir, the insurance only covers airline fees when applying the unused fare to future flights. The fare itself is subject to the refund policy of the airline involved which usually means it must be used within a year from when the ticket was paid for.

Having used Princess Insurance when I was living in Canada I would really like it to be available in the UK - that is all I'll say about it (and the fact they say it is a Platinum benefit which it no longer is)

Makes sense to me. Your insurance should be covering you while in transit from your home.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

Edited by ChiefBoats

Makes sense to me. Your insurance should be covering you while in transit from your home.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

It might make sense to you but that's not what the written document says. Princess insurance covers you from the time you leave your home to the time you get back. Read the definition of "Covered Cruise Vacation".

There is however a limitation as to just how many days you'll be covered in transit to and from the ship. I believe that's four days.

Having used Princess Insurance when I was living in Canada I would really like it to be available in the UK - that is all I'll say about it (and the fact they say it is a Platinum benefit which it no longer is)

It has never been a Platinum benefit.

The benefit was that Platinum could have higher coverage limits for the price of the lower coverage limits package.