Basic Poll: Would you report someone smoking on their balcony?

LMaxwell

Would you report another guest smoking on their balcony?  

600 members have voted

1. 1. Would you report another guest smoking on their balcony?

• Yes, I would call Guest Services / Security
    • No, I would not call Guest Services / Security

© thing comes down to this: You agreed to a contract and if you breach it you are wrong. There is no grey area here and they can kick your butts (pun intended) off the ship. Will they? Highly doubtful but I look forward to the day they start doing so. Maybe then people will begin to realize that rules do apply to THEM.[/i]

Good post, for the sake of space I didn't copy the entire entry....off topic, concerning following the rules....booze smugglers. Instead of just confiscating the alcohol, I wish they would just remove the smugglers off the ship....no refund. Do you know how quick smuggling on booze would stop

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Yes and I have.

Don't know how Carnival handled it, but they continued smoking so it has been years since I have booked a balcony.

No offense meant but it hasn't yet been 2 years since the ban went into effect. If you reported this "years" ago as you stated... you reported someone that was smoking in an approved area.

I don't quite understand this debate. Well I do but. There are a lot of product on the market. If you want to smoke find a ship that allows it or allows it in more areas. Yes, you might have to leave your balcony but that's the rule. If you want to be in flip flops and shirts all day, book that ship and if you want all passengers to be equal despite size and costs, book that ship. But why does a cruise line or passengers willing to follow those rules have to change standards for those that clearly aren't a good match? Book what's comfortable for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can book these cheap. :cool:

tater1800.jpg

No thanks. This photo gets trotted out in every smoking thread. Much more worrisome than someone smoking on their balcony is, why did this ship burn up like a mobile home? In the decade since this fire, many upgrades and retrofits have occurred. I seriously doubt that a fire of that magnitude would ever happen again from a cigarette, IF that is what actually caused it.

We have reported; not at first, but after a couple of days with the smoke running us off of our balcony I called. Security came to our cabin and I took them to our balcony to show them the evidence. The smoking stopped after that.

PA280475_zpsudu8mx1d.jpg

Too gross! I think I would report them just for that.

I would think if smokers wanted to smoke on a balcony, they could go on an NCL cruise, where they still allow it. Problem solved! No complaints about balcony smoking, no sneaking or violating contracts, no worries!

Banned on NCL too.

Still allowed on Holland America. That's it for mainstream lines. I really don't know about boutique/luxury/specialty lines.

No thanks. This photo gets trotted out in every smoking thread. Much more worrisome than someone smoking on their balcony is, why did this ship burn up like a mobile home? In the decade since this fire, many upgrades and retrofits have occurred. I seriously doubt that a fire of that magnitude would ever happen again from a cigarette, IF that is what actually caused it.

A fire does not care how it got started. It can grow to any size once it si ignited.

Just curious what ship and when was that?

What does it matter, I believe Carnival implemented the no smoking on balconies fleet wide in the Fall of 2014....are you looking for a loophole that isn't there to argue for the sake of arguing? [emoji848]

Edited by First and Ten

Banned on NCL too.

Still allowed on Holland America. That's it for mainstream lines. I really don't know about boutique/luxury/specialty lines.

This is true, don't know any other main cruise lines that do allow.HA has a great following for this and not sure if this would ever change.

Smokers and their defenders often equate smoking and drinking. The difference is that drinking alcohol does not make other passengers ill or physically uncomfortable the way smoking does.

Let's not confuse alcohol consumption which bothers no one and drunken behaviour which may bother a few people in the immediate area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

Good post, for the sake of space I didn't copy the entire entry....off topic, concerning following the rules....booze smugglers. Instead of just confiscating the alcohol, I wish they would just remove the smugglers off the ship....no refund. Do you know how quick smuggling on booze would stop

You are right. Booze smuggling would come to a halt. The difference is that drinking alcohol does not make other passengers ill or physically uncomfortable the way smoking does. Also, imagine how clean the streets would be if they jailed people for littering. Yet, in a just society the punishment should fit the crime.

You are right. Booze smuggling would come to a halt. The difference is that drinking alcohol does not make other passengers ill or physically uncomfortable the way smoking does. Also, imagine how clean the streets would be if they jailed people for littering. Yet, in a just society the punishment should fit the crime.

I wasn't comparing, thus the reason I started the post with "off topic"

Edited by First and Ten

Sorry, that's a non-starter- it's in the guest contract which you agree to when you put your money down (whether you take the time to read it or not). Ignorance of a contract's terms is no excuse.

and yet people....some of them here.....claim smuggling is okay because it doesn't affect anyone else when that too is in the contract. if they aren't going to boot anyone off the ship for smuggling they shouldn't charge anyone 250 for smoking on their balcony.

A deck 9 cigarette is more dangerous? I never said any such thing. How in the world did you translate my post into that? :confused: You don't have to believe that fire concerns were one of the core reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that it was.

really didn't think i needed to spell this out but i will. many here claim balcony smoking was stopped because of the inherent fire hazard. smoking on deck 10.....one deck above.....is authorized. whether an ashtray is available or not is immaterial as many people don't care and flick their butts over the side. so for carnival to now forbid balcony smoking while continuing to allow outsoor smoking on deck 10 can only logically mean that smoking on your balcony on deck 9 is inherently more dangerous. ooooooorrrrrrrr.......carnival is blowing smoke up people's skirts because there is no great fire risk and only used that as an excuse to appease the non-smokers that were whiny about a slight wiff of a smell going by their balcony.

and yet people....some of them here.....claim smuggling is okay because it doesn't affect anyone else when that too is in the contract. if they aren't going to boot anyone off the ship for smuggling they shouldn't charge anyone 250 for smoking on their balcony.

I was referring only to your statement that there was no signed contract, not what the cruise line can or should do for infractions. That is up to them and they have many clubs in that bag to use, including disembarking passengers for multiple infractions (although for many reasons that is a last resort).