Basic Poll: Would you report someone smoking on their balcony?

LMaxwell

Would you report another guest smoking on their balcony?  

600 members have voted

1. 1. Would you report another guest smoking on their balcony?

• Yes, I would call Guest Services / Security
    • No, I would not call Guest Services / Security

really didn't think i needed to spell this out but i will. many here claim balcony smoking was stopped because of the inherent fire hazard. smoking on deck 10.....one deck above.....is authorized. whether an ashtray is available or not is immaterial as many people don't care and flick their butts over the side. so for carnival to now forbid balcony smoking while continuing to allow outsoor smoking on deck 10 can only logically mean that smoking on your balcony on deck 9 is inherently more dangerous. ooooooorrrrrrrr.......carnival is blowing smoke up people's skirts because there is no great fire risk and only used that as an excuse to appease the non-smokers that were whiny about a slight wiff of a smell going by their balcony.

Perhaps you are right. In the end, it doesn't really matter if the REAL reason was Fire Safety or because it was bothersome to many other passengers and Carnival started to listen to its customers and put an end to the bothersome behaviour. Perhaps Carnival was being diplomatic by not calling its smoking customers on their bothersome behaviour and instead stated that the reason was Fire Safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

What does it matter, I believe Carnival implemented the no smoking on balconies fleet wide in the Fall of 2014....are you looking for a loophole that isn't there to argue for the sake of arguing? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No, don't assume. I was just asking what ship and when.

really didn't think i needed to spell this out but i will. many here claim balcony smoking was stopped because of the inherent fire hazard. smoking on deck 10.....one deck above.....is authorized. whether an ashtray is available or not is immaterial as many people don't care and flick their butts over the side. so for carnival to now forbid balcony smoking while continuing to allow outsoor smoking on deck 10 can only logically mean that smoking on your balcony on deck 9 is inherently more dangerous. ooooooorrrrrrrr.......carnival is blowing smoke up people's skirts because there is no great fire risk and only used that as an excuse to appease the non-smokers that were whiny about a slight wiff of a smell going by their balcony.

I seriously doubt that people are going to flick a butt over the rail while sitting in a public spot. Would you rather Carnival ban it ship wide? they allow it where it can be monitored in a way. If you truly believe that smoking is not a fire hazard then I just don't know what to say except that is truly dumb.

As for whiney non smokers - that whiff drifting by contains carcinogens and I choose not to smoke.

I seriously doubt that people are going to flick a butt over the rail while sitting in a public spot. Would you rather Carnival ban it ship wide? they allow it where it can be monitored in a way. If you truly believe that smoking is not a fire hazard then I just don't know what to say except that is truly dumb.

As for whiney non smokers - that whiff drifting by contains carcinogens and I choose not to smoke.

In the end like others have said it really doesn't matter why it was stopped.

However it's funny how it only became a fire hazard in 2014 when it was stopped. I guess prior to that it wasn't a risk. And apparently it isn't a risk on Holland America since they allow balcony smoking.

If it were such a risk it wouldn't be allowed on any lines.

In the end like others have said it really doesn't matter why it was stopped.

However it's funny how it only became a fire hazard in 2014 when it was stopped. I guess prior to that it wasn't a risk. And apparently it isn't a risk on Holland America since they allow balcony smoking.

If it were such a risk it wouldn't be allowed on any lines.

Did Carnival ever say that was the reason, or is it just guest speculation as to the reason? It was likely a number of different contributing factors, but it all boils down to one thing - a business decision based on the bottom line.

Originally Posted by Computer Nerd viewpost.gif

I don't believe the no smoking policy was due to a fire hazard, I believe it was made because too many people complained about the smoke drifting into their balcony space. We didn't cruise on Carnival for a long time because of the smoking on balconies. I even told Carnival in emails why I no longer cruise with them. When they put the no smoking into place, we cruised a couple more times with them. However, due to their nonenforcement of their policy, we won't be back cruising with them any time soon. I delete all of their ads that come to me in emails. The only policy they enforce is boarding with alcohol because it cuts into their revenue. Smoking does not. So, I take my business elsewhere.

Did Carnival ever say that was the reason, or is it just guest speculation as to the reason? It was likely a number of different contributing factors, but it all boils down to one thing - a business decision based on the bottom line.

Yep, turns out they did:

Why did Carnival change its smoking policy?

Given that nearly 90 percent of our guests are non-smokers, we wanted to have our shipboard experience align with today’s guest preferences. We constantly monitor all of our shipboard policies and solicit guest feedback to make sure we stay up to date with consumers’ vacation wants and needs.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3489

I don't believe the no smoking policy was due to a fire hazard, I believe it was made because too many people complained about the smoke drifting into their balcony space. We didn't cruise on Carnival for a long time because of the smoking on balconies. I even told Carnival in emails why I no longer cruise with them. When they put the no smoking into place, we cruised a couple more times with them. However, due to their nonenforcement of their policy, we won't be back cruising with them any time soon. I delete all of their ads that come to me in emails. The only policy they enforce is boarding with alcohol because it cuts into their revenue. Smoking does not. So, I take my business elsewhere.

Yes. It is interesting that the safety issue related to alcohol smuggling is so much more important and merits much stricter enforcement than the safety issue of smoking on balconies. Hmmmm. We all realize that a drunk 18-year-old is much more dangerous to the welfare of the ship and everyone on it than a fire. :)

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

Coming in late on this, sorry.

I am a reformed smoker so I don't see a problem with a total ban. Smoke in port and take along nicotine gum if you must.

That being said: I was on the Star when she burned. One man died. A few were burned. All others breathed the smoke and still wake up in cold sweats from time to time. The suspected cause was smoking.

I would report!

Precisely. But to answer your question, yes and no. By that I mean, no, they did not publicly announce fire safety as a reason - at least, not that I ever heard. Yes, they did acknowledge the fire risk in numerous conventions that I attended. So what it basically comes down to is this - Carnival has known since 2006 (Star Princess) that balcony smoking was largely frowned upon by regulatory agencies because of the risk of fire, but they did not take action until they were getting bombarded by guest complaints who wanted to see a change so they wouldn't have to suffer the second hand smoke stench anymore. So while guest complaints are the most likely reason, there are several underlying reasons.

Thank you for voicing common sense that a select few seem to lack. Anyone with any sense about them would know that a smoker is more likely to discard a butt overboard anonymously than in the public eye. It's no different than these anonymous internet boards. People are far more likely to be snide on the computer than they would in person.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

Sorry I haven't read the entire thread, but I wonder when someone reports smoking how they prove the infraction. Smoke drifts, it may be coming from below or to either side, or a few cabins away when the ship is stationary and since when a ship is moving the air is also moving I would find it hard to "know" who is smoking and I refuse to whip my head around a balcony divider and confirm that a cigarette is, in fact, lit.

I am sure smoking on balconies has been greatly reduced since the ban and has had a positive affect across the board.

Booze smuggling is easier to "prove" so it is more aggressively targeted.

My answer is "no" I wouldn't report anyone. If the problem is problematic and I find myself on a balcony next to a habitual smoker that I can prove I would be gracious, tell them it irritates me and ask them nicely if they know smoking is prohibited. If the passenger is then rude etc. I would just back off and hope that it doesn't happen on the next balcony I book.

Someone is going to potentially see someone "FLICK" their butt over the side and take the necessary precautions to assure that it didn't get blown back on deck 9.

A fire does not care how it got started. It can grow to any size once it si ignited.

Use of flame retardant materials can go a long way to containing the size of a fire. Many changes have been made since the the Star Princess fire. If it was a huge concern at the time, cruise lines would have been trampling each other to be the first to implement balcony smoking bans. Yet it took most of them 8-9 years before they acted. HAL still allows smoking on their balconies. The bans are not a reaction to a fire hazard. They're a reaction to the insurance industry.

"While a smouldering discarded cigarette probably did cause the flames, the following items were also at fault for allowing the fire to spread as quickly as it did:

The balconies' polycarbonate partitions, polyurethane deck tiles, and the plastic furniture were highly combustible and produced large quantities of very thick black smoke when burned.

The glass in the doors between the staterooms and balconies was neither fire retardant, to meet with the requirements of an ‘A’ class division, nor self-closing.

The balconies crossed main zone fire boundaries, both horizontally and vertically, and were without structural or thermal barriers at the zone or deck boundaries.

No fire detection or fire suppression systems were fitted on the balconies."

The more I read this thread the more I realize that even though smoking on balconies increases the risk of fire, The deciding factor that prompted Carnival Cruise Lines to ban smoking on balconies was popular demand. That being the case, no smoker can justify smoking on the balcony even if the risk is zero because the vast majority of your fellow cruisers DON'T LIKE IT!!

The more I read this thread the more I realize that even though smoking on balconies increases the risk of fire, The deciding factor that prompted Carnival Cruise Lines to ban smoking on balconies was popular demand. That being the case, no smoker can justify smoking on the balcony even if the risk is zero because the vast majority of your fellow cruisers DON'T LIKE IT!!

See post #409:)

Someone is going to potentially see someone "FLICK" their butt over the side and take the necessary precautions to assure that it didn't get blown back on deck 9.

After that lit butt is flicked overboard how does anyone control where it goes? What precautions are you talking about?

My answer is "no" I wouldn't report anyone. If the problem is problematic and I find myself on a balcony next to a habitual smoker that I can prove I would be gracious, tell them it irritates me and ask them nicely if they know smoking is prohibited. If the passenger is then rude etc. I would just back off and hope that it doesn't happen on the next balcony I book.

That is exactly the moment I would head to guest services as I no longer owe them graciousness. And I would go repeatedly until something was done.

However, you must realize that every smoker on board is as polite and courteous as can be. They all say so. :rolleyes:

That is exactly the moment I would head to guest services as I no longer owe them graciousness. And I would go repeatedly until something was done.

However, you must realize that every smoker on board is as polite and courteous as can be. They all say so. :rolleyes:

After about your third or fourth visit, they'll be rolling their eyes every time they see you coming, just like you are, now.

After about your third or fourth visit, they'll be rolling their eyes every time they see you coming, just like you are, now.

Simply put smoke detectors on all balconies, like airplane lavatories. If it goes off or is messed with slap the $250 cleaning fee, per incident. that's an expensive smoke and only the most obtuse violators of no smoking on the balcony will be willing to jack up the cost of a pack so high.

Eventually, one day, no smoking indoors anywhere will be the law, even on ships. Unless its in a sealed box.

Simply put smoke detectors on all balconies, like airplane lavatories. If it goes off or is messed with slap the $250 cleaning fee, per incident. that's an expensive smoke and only the most obtuse violators of no smoking on the balcony will be willing to jack up the cost of a pack so high.

Eventually, one day, no smoking indoors anywhere will be the law, even on ships. Unless its in a sealed box.

Those than smoke on their Balcóny don't care about the cleaning fee.

If the ship allows smoking on the balcony so be it. But if I am booked on a ship that adheres to a smoking policy, i would report it.

I pay good money for my cruise and nothing is worse than smelling tobacco fumes in your room. I try no to infringe on people's rights I only ask they do the same.

OK after 4 nites in a row of 4 hrs plus too close fireworks and probably one more to go..some newbies here have not grown up with smoky the bear just like many posters...although I agree, fire, is not only reason they are not allowing smoking on balcony. I think no matter the improvements...fires start from the most horrible tiny things. My dad made himself a midnight treat and it involved a broiler and the hot pad getting too close..being thrown in the drawer and he was aware in time to stop it some but we had a kitchen redo a couple of years ago (thank God doable and all we had)...amazing how they could duplicate the 90's and mom's newer wallpaper...amazingly back to what it was...matching the undamaged..amazing.....and bisque is close to almond..lol. Well there's the rest of the story...looking forward to a smoke free balcony one day..on any ship that has it...lol.

Take care with the cigarettes whatever you do.

Edited by sjn911

Are we back in elementary school? For all that say yes are you going to police the serenity area, the chair hogs and the dress code in the dining room? I just believe either all rules are enforced or none. You simply cannot pick and choose.

Actually, yes. I am a Guardian (personality type) and rules just happen to be important to me. Especially when someone is making a point to let me know they are. It's the same speech I gave my floor in college when I was an RA: If I don't see, hear, smell or taste it, I don't know about it. But when you make it a point to do something so that I can see, taste, hear or smell it, don't cry to me for getting in trouble...