Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

You used to get free drinks, snacks and meals on airplanes. Now, you don't. . quote]

That's comparing apples to tangerines.

You're on a ship, taking a nice vacation, while having fun.

If on a plane, food, drinks, aren't really that important as long as you arrive at your final destination. Say all-inclusive beach resort where it includes almost everything up front and eliminates wallet shock.

This is the point I don't understand. People were given two weeks notice. That's considered appropriate for leaving a job. How long do you want? We're talking about an enterprise that has ships leaving random ports at random times every weekend (and more)? How much notice is appropriate?

I would expect, before final payment deadline. Otherwise, you're changing the terms of the deal after the deal has been agreed upon by both parties.

I know we can get by on tap water, but I didn't pay this much money up front to "get by".

And I know I can buy a case on board for 40$. I'm not going to do that ( even though 40$ is a relatively small amount of money compared to what I've already spent on this cruise) simply because it's so insulting.

If they would just offer bottled water on board at a reasonable price, like Carnival did when they implemented a similar policy, the vast majority of the complaining would stop. I would definitely pay 8-9$ for a 12 pack, and be happy to do so.

Believe me, I'm usually the pro-Capitalism corporate defender. But this is gouging, plain and simple. Even I can't defend this one, and if you knew me, you'd know that's saying a lot.

The problem is not (and has never been) the amount of sodium (that pretty much does not exist in distilled water or water produced through reverse osmosis), it's the chlorine that is added to the purified warmer because of health regulations (to keep ship's water lines germ free) and which is a known cause of water retention.

In bars and restaurants that same chlorine is filtered out from the water to prevent residue buildup in their equipment, so it's not the same water that comes out from a tap onboard.

Thanks for posting this...very interesting...

One of the important ingredients of electrolyte drinks is salt/sodium - I thought the issue of ship water was that it was meant to have too much salt for some people.

Aren't you just suggesting replacing salt from the ship water with salt from the gatorade?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

The reality is that ship water is desalinated. That process delivers distilled water (no salt or other minerals). It is then run through a bed of calcium carbonate which adds some minerals back in. It is also chlorinated. So ships water is actually low on salt and other minerals, not high. It may contain calcium, but short on a whole range of other minerals. It is a similar problem with cities that use primarily desalinated water such as the middle east or some islands. I first ran into this a number of year ago doing field work at McMurdo station. The water supply there is entirely produced by desalination, similar to the way ships do it.

There have been studies concerning desalinated water and it can have negative effects due to depleting electrolytes from the body and creating an imbalance. Though swelling is not identified as one of the symptoms, papers do indicate that it can cause issues with water distribution throughout the body.

So if someone is having swelling from ship water it is not due to salt. Either the cause is something else other then water, chlorine, or if it is strictly caused by water it is a electrolyte shortage. I would suspect other causes such as difference in diet, sitting on board or traveling to/from ship, heat, etc. A whole range of things can lead to swelling of the feet and legs. If they are experiencing other symptoms such as headaches, tiredness, etc. then I would look at electrolyte levels.

Since most municipal water systems also add chlorine one should not have a problem, if they drink tap water at home and are on a municipal system.

Edited by RDC1

Chengkp75 (CC resident expert on ship engineering and all things behind the scenes) has posted many times on ship's water and its production and treatment.

One point he has made several times is that the water from the tap is chlorinated (albeit slightly). If you take that water and leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours the chlorine dissipates.

The water from the bars/buffet is carbon filtered to remove the chlorine. All the food prep. and ice is made using the same water. Chlorine is, after all half of the compound which makes up salt (Sodium Chloride NaCl)

I have noticed that the food on cruise ships is more heavily salted than I would prepare. I would suspect the food as the prime culprit for excess sodium rather than the water (just MHO - I am fortunate not to suffer from swankles).

The problem is not (and has never been) the amount of sodium (that pretty much does not exist in distilled water or water produced through reverse osmosis), it's the chlorine that is added to the purified warmer because of health regulations (to keep ship's water lines germ free) and which is a known cause of water retention.

In bars and restaurants that same chlorine is filtered out from the water to prevent residue buildup in their equipment, so it's not the same water that comes out from a tap onboard.

Do you have a reference that chlorine is water purification systems is a known cause of water retention? I cannot find anything that indicates that in doing a search on the NIH database Grateful Med.

Chengkp75 (CC resident expert on ship engineering and all things behind the scenes) has posted many times on ship's water and its production and treatment.

One point he has made several times is that the water from the tap is chlorinated (albeit slightly). If you take that water and leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours the chlorine dissipates.

The water from the bars/buffet is carbon filtered to remove the chlorine. All the food prep. and ice is made using the same water. Chlorine is, after all half of the compound which makes up salt (Sodium Chloride NaCl)

I have noticed that the food on cruise ships is more heavily salted than I would prepare. I would suspect the food as the prime culprit for excess sodium rather than the water (just MHO - I am fortunate not to suffer from swankles).

Thanks for posting...I remember his posts..and was having trouble finding his info again !

Not quite chlorine used in water treatment is not quite the same as chloride in NaCl and is not treated by the body in the same way. Even with salt the problem leading to water retention is the sodium, not the chloride. It takes a lot of chloride to cause problems normally.

Edited by RDC1

I really enjoy paying the huge parking fee at the terminal...that is outrageous but a convenience....

Lol good try...but parking at the port was never free

Up until now you could bring on a case of water that you more than likely bought at a deep discount ....technically making that water free for you,..sort of

So what used to cost you $3.99 will now cost close to $60. Lol

Plus other lines sell water at a very very reasonable price

Edited by luvtheships

Lol good try...but parking at the port was never free

Up until now you could bring on a case of water that you more than likely bought at a deep discount ....technically making that water free for you,..sort of

So what used to cost you $3.99 will now cost close to $60. Lol

Plus other lines sell water at a very very reasonable price

Plus the parking is controlled by the Port Authority, not the cruise lines.

I know we can get by on tap water, but I didn't pay this much money up front to "get by".

I just think the point people are missing (most of them intentionally) is that the ship's water is exactly the same as most bottled water - and the water in the restaurants and bars is filtered beyond the tap water.

You're not only paying for water, you're paying for the bottle, which becomes trash, the lid that becomes trash, the space the cases of water take up in the hold, the processing, the shipping, and all the other costs.

Aquafina, the expensive bottled water on the ship, is filtered tap water. It comes from "public water sources" - see their website. If you are paying anybody's prices for Aquafina, you might want to rethink your shopping habits.

Bring a reusable bottle with a filter. Use the tap. Seriously.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This move on NCL's part was actually the "straw that broke the camel's back" for me. I just cancelled my NCL cruise to Alaska next year and booked HAL. There simply have been too many non-passenger friendly changes in the last year. I'd cancel my September cruise but I'm already past final payment. I'm now working on finding good substitutes for the other two NCL cruises I have booked.

Great choice. HAL is where you are treated like a value guest. I can order room service for free and bring on all the water, juice, canned pop I like. Oh and did I forget to mention HAL will also let me bring on one bottle of wine, FOR FREE!!!

You will Love HAL and their service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Friends of ours just sailed HAL. The wheelchairs lined up outside of the dining room each evening was a slight shock. Everyone in bed at 8pm was as well. Have a great time with your water, juice, and soda though!

Having sailed on HAL for many years and recently on HAL and NCL I can assure you that the piano bar and on the ships where there is a BB KIng band, is pretty lively much later than 8pm. I guess your friends are offended that people who need wheelchairs actually want to travel on a ship. That's really sad.

Water is just not water ... http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/questions/whats-the-difference-between-distilled-water-spring-water-and-purified ...

NCL's "Water----" reminds me of the "Ketchup Controversy" up here in Canada earlier this year ...https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/03/16/frenchs-ketchup-cannibalized-in-house-brand-loblaw-memo.html ...

Just hoping there is a resolution to this kerfuffle ... :)

Great choice. HAL is where you are treated like a value guest. I can order room service for free and bring on all the water, juice, canned pop I like. Oh and did I forget to mention HAL will also let me bring on one bottle of wine, FOR FREE!!!

You will Love HAL and their service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for confirming my impression. I did book HAL for my next cruise instead of the Pearl. NCL has been my line of choice, but these latest changes made me look at other lines.

Many of the other lines, including HAL are changing some of their policies, dining, dress etc, to be closer to NCL. At the same time NCL seems to be making their product less & less passenger friendly.

I received a call from NCL today on my cell phone that I only use for emergencies. She said she was calling in response to my email I had sent and said this is the policy and that's that. I voiced my concerns again and she said she would pass them on but this is the new policy. :mad: She was very snarky.

I think I'll pack 3 16.9 oz bottles of caffeine free diet coke in double plastic bags in each of my 3 checked bags. When we flew to San Juan I did this and never had a problem with the airline.

My profile has my preferred contact phone number to be my home phone. My cell number is only listed on my partially filled out check in form. I'll be making a complaint about this.

I received a call from NCL today on my cell phone that I only use for emergencies. She said she was calling in response to my email I had sent and said this is the policy and that's that. I voiced my concerns again and she said she would pass them on but this is the new policy. :mad: She was very snarky.

I think I'll pack 3 16.9 oz bottles of caffeine free diet coke in double plastic bags in each of my 3 checked bags. When we flew to San Juan I did this and never had a problem with the airline.

My profile has my preferred contact phone number to be my home phone. My cell number is only listed on my partially filled out check in form. I'll be making a complaint about this.

Be sure to report back and let us know if they returned your soda at the end of your cruise, or if it was just disposed of by the cruise line.

I couldn't find any reliable sources that excess chlorine causes water retention or swelling (not saying its not possible, just couldn't find anything. Would appreciate sources (mainly because our local water tends to have a high chlorine count).

And as for sodium, many posters on here have been saying that the water causes swelling due to salt, I have been stating otherwise. If chlorine is a cause (I had no idea for or against before this) I am willing to modify my position that those sensitive should drink from filtered sources)

I can't believe nobody has proposed the solution to this whole debacle.

Several have pointed-out pricing for a case of 24 bottles of water.

Solution: just buy the case, drink the case before boarding, and no more water required for the next 7 days.

:D

Stephen

Does anyone miss the old days when you smuggled on booze ? Now they give away the booze and you are smuggling on water and soda :D:D:D

I miss the days before that where you could just buy a bottle in the store and take it back to your room. I laughed out loud at the suggestion of using rum runners to smuggle water :)

I miss the days before that where you could just buy a bottle in the store and take it back to your room. I laughed out loud at the suggestion of using rum runners to smuggle water :)

Yes, used to be able to buy it in the duty free store onboard and have it in your room. I remember that well (on a different line).

Yes, used to be able to buy it in the duty free store onboard and have it in your room. I remember that well (on a different line).

It was RCL where you could pay an extra $9 to take a litre back to your room. Awesome deal :). How times change that now water is banned. :mad:

It was RCL where you could pay an extra $9 to take a litre back to your room. Awesome deal :). How times change that now water is banned. :mad:

That is what we used to do on RCI. I was okay with the policy. I remember when $9 was like 3 beers or two cocktails. Now it's a downpayment on a Pina Colada on Royal.