Luggage odd situation - how could it happen?

abbydancer2003

So I'm following the EZ check thread, and it reminded me of something that happened on our last cruise.

The first night we headed to the Passenger Services desk with a question. There were a couple of gentlemen talking to the agent at the elite line for a very long time. I asked what happened and apparently, they still didn't have their luggage (about 11 pm). The agents didn't think they were on the ship.

I later caught up with them, and they told me they'd found their luggage - on the Celebrity Solstice!

Apparently they were going to be reunited with it when we were in Skagway with the Solstice. (I didn't see them afterwards to find out if they got it).

We are trying to figure out how it could have happened. I think it was all their luggage.

Any theories?

So I'm following the EZ check thread, and it reminded me of something that happened on our last cruise.

The first night we headed to the Passenger Services desk with a question. There were a couple of gentlemen talking to the agent at the elite line for a very long time. I asked what happened and apparently, they still didn't have their luggage (about 11 pm). The agents didn't think they were on the ship.

I later caught up with them, and they told me they'd found their luggage - on the Celebrity Solstice!

Apparently they were going to be reunited with it when we were in Skagway with the Solstice. (I didn't see them afterwards to find out if they got it).

We are trying to figure out how it could have happened. I think it was all their luggage.

Any theories?

Either they dropped it at the wrong tent, or someone put it on the wrong trolley.

That'd be my guess anyway.

Either they dropped it at the wrong tent, or someone put it on the wrong trolley.

That was our first guess too, although we left Vancouver 5 hours late and the Solstice was also very late out (the early May customs mess). I'd think if it had Princess tags, they handlers would have noticed it when trying to distribute it and removed it from the ship.

We think maybe they didn't put the Princess tags on, and the steveadors were too new to know the cabin numbers didn't match the Celebrity convention (maybe).

The workers on the dock care only about getting the bags onto the ship. Once loaded onto the ship, it is handled by the room stewards and other crew.

Compared to some other lines, Princess tags are not very distinctive. BUT, if the passengers were elite level, they certainly know that they need to place the tags on the bags. My guess would be a wrong drop off location. I suppose if they used EZ air and somehow the bags didn't get put on the correct luggage vehicle, someone at the airport could have seen the tags and made a decision to "send them to the port," thinking that things would be sorted out there.

The workers on the dock care only about getting the bags onto the ship. Once loaded onto the ship' date=' it is handled by the room stewards and other crew.

Compared to some other lines, Princess tags are not very distinctive. BUT, if the passengers were elite level, they certainly know that they need to place the tags on the bags. My guess would be a wrong drop off location. I suppose if they used EZ air and somehow the bags didn't get put on the correct luggage vehicle, someone at the airport could have seen the tags and made a decision to "send them to the port," thinking that things would be sorted out there.[/quote']

They gave the bags at the dock - they told me that. They did mention something about having the receipt when the guys tagged the bag - so maybe they did go to the Celebrity area, and the the dock guys didn't know or didn't think about the cabin being a different labeling.

I felt bad for them, so I hope the fact that I didn't see them again (recognized them because they were wearing the same clothes for the first few days) means they got them.

They gave the bags at the dock - they told me that. They did mention something about having the receipt when the guys tagged the bag - so maybe they did go to the Celebrity area, and the the dock guys didn't know or didn't think about the cabin being a different labeling.

I felt bad for them, so I hope the fact that I didn't see them again (recognized them because they were wearing the same clothes for the first few days) means they got them.

Have you ever gotten a receipt for a Princess bag? I haven't ...at least that I remember.

Have you ever gotten a receipt for a Princess bag? I haven't ...at least that I remember.

I don't think we've ever tagged at the Pier, so don't know for sure, but I've never heard of it, which makes me think they dropped at the Celebrity area.

Any theories?

Disembarking on May 6, 2016, was a horrible experience. Three ships there at once was too much for the facilities. I bet it was just one more thing that got fouled up in the chaos.

Hi All

Years ago now while saying out of Ft L I think it was the Star the sailed before us, what hundreds did not know was they were waving bye to bye to their luggage full truck load went to wrong ship all were re united a few days later.

yours Shogun

Any theories?

A failure on many levels. :rolleyes:

I am curious how Princess found out it was on X......who called who?

On our very first cruise 1983 our honeymoon when leaving the pier we got on the wrong airport transfer...didn't realize it until we were trying to check in at the airport....FLL instead of MIA....fortunately for us travel was much simpler back then and we had plenty of time, the airline comp. a flight for us back to MIA.

Edited by land lover

When I read the OP's original post I thought, fascinating topic, I look forward to following this thread....but now as the constant Over worrier that I am , oh dear, a new thing to obsessively worry about LOL 5 months to go .... but still a very interesting thread, TY. :)

We did a Mexican cruise once out of San Pedro for Christmas. The same day we embarked, there was a Hawaii cruise leaving.

The ship had purchased something for us for our Seeing Eye dog (sod) and it had been delivered to the pier and the port agent tagged it.

Long story short - what the ship purchased for us and several bags for other individuals got on the ship that went to Hawaii! We were fine as the ship made accommodations for us but I felt so sorry for the people who had their luggage go to Hawaii as our cruise would have almost been over by the time the ship reached Hawaii.

Edited by Coral

I am curious how Princess found out it was on X......who called who?

I have no doubt this happens more often then we like to think. I have no doubt X contacted their corporate office who in return contacted Princess and arranged for the port agent to pick up the luggage at the first port or the port that made the most sense if both ships were in Alaska.

Not hard to understand how this happens. When we drop off luggage we usually hang around to make sure the luggage is placed in the proper luggage carrier for the ship we are boarding. When we do that we see many passengers drop off luggage and move on quickly eager to get on the ship, they don't pay much attention at all to what happens to their luggage.

When there are more than one ship in port side by side which sometimes happens in San Francisco for example, mistakes can happen. Sometimes there are two Princess ships in port... I have read of such problems before.

Not hard to understand how this happens. When we drop off luggage we usually hang around to make sure the luggage is placed in the proper luggage carrier for the ship we are boarding. When we do that we see many passengers drop off luggage and move on quickly eager to get on the ship, they don't pay much attention at all to what happens to their luggage.

When there are more than one ship in port side by side which sometimes happens in San Francisco for example, mistakes can happen. Sometimes there are two Princess ships in port... I have read of such problems before.

That exact thing happened when we were sailing out of San Francisco a few years back. There were two ships in port and a lot of passenger had their luggage delivered to the wrong ship. I think we were on the Star and might be mistaken, but think their luggage was delivered to the Island. We also had some of the luggage that was intended for the Island on the Star. Luckily, we only had our carry on luggage so we were unaffected.

Do the carts have labels on them? How do you make sure your luggage is going to the correct ship?

A few years ago we took the hotel shuttle to the port. At the first stop every other passenger got off (for Celebrity). As the driver was getting back into the shuttle I noticed our luggage outside waiting to be loaded onto the other ship.

I wonder if they took a cab or an Uber and let the driver bring the bags in? Maybe they didnt follow the bags or someone didnt read the tags? Ive never heard of this, but makes you wonder.