Last Minute Deals AT THE PIER

What kind of deals could you expect by showing up at the pier on departure day? I'd really like to get a great deal on cruise, but even the cheap sites are very expensive this time of year. I love Royal Caribbean and don't live far from Bayonne. I thought I might pack a bag and head down there within the next couple of departures. It wouldn't be a problem at all for me to do that, but does anyone know if I might get a really great deal by showing up there at the last minute on sailing date?

most ports won't let you in the terminal unless your name is already on the manifest

(I say most cuz if I say all, someone will have an exception ... port security rules say it is not to happen . . . )

best bet is to watch the Royal site regularly .... I live close to Port Canaveral and often see prices a week or two out for $50 a day .... sometimes less.

There have been a times when check points were set up where I had to show my Passport or BC/Government Issued Photo ID as well as my Set Sail Pass before being permitted entry into the port area. This has happened a couple of times . Both times at different USA Ports. Most recently last March at Port Everglades.

That's a bummer. I'll call RCI and ask what's the last date their reservationists have control over the manifest before turning it over to the port staff. Though I do know there is tight security at the terminal, I didn't realize you can't go in and try to negotiate a deal.

July 14 sailing is sold out, but I bet there will be at least one cabin where people have missed the sailing for one reason or another. I would have loved to be able to take that cabin rather than let it go empty.

That's a bummer. I'll call RCI and ask what's the last date their reservationists have control over the manifest before turning it over to the port staff. Though I do know there is tight security at the terminal, I didn't realize you can't go in and try to negotiate a deal.

July 14 sailing is sold out, but I bet there will be at least one cabin where people have missed the sailing for one reason or another. I would have loved to be able to take that cabin rather than let it go empty.

If someone misses the sailing, they cannot sell the cabin because it "belongs" to that person for the duration of the cruise, and the person can meet up at one of the ports. (unless the person cancels outright, but that's usually done a day or so in advance, and the cabin is then resold)

Most cruises are sold out in the days before sailing because of the Going, Going, Gone sales.

Edited by DonnaK

If someone is a no show thus leaving a vacant cabin, you wouldn't know that unless you were already ON the ship. Even at that - say you booked the cheapest cabin - the odds of getting a cheap upgrade at the pier are slim to none these days.

There have been a times when check points were set up where I had to show my Passport or BC/Government Issued Photo ID as well as my Set Sail Pass before being permitted entry into the port area. This has happened a couple of times . Both times at different USA Ports. Most recently last March at Port Everglades.

Happened to me as well, without the set sail pass and passport there awas no way to even get into the port area, let alone the cruise terminal.

It´s certainly not gonna happen.

As for no Shows, they don´t know until check-in Closes and then it´s too late to re-sell the cabin.

I doubt anyone at the port has the power to negotiate such a deal. In the past you could try Pier Upgrades, as you were there an checked-in already, but even that doesn´t really happen anymore, as ships are fully booked and no cabins available.

The agents at the terminal can't sell cabins, they don't have the mechanics to do so. I have heard anecdotal stories of people calling the cruise line at least the day before to book, and perhaps on day of departure, but it must be done by phone, directly to the cruise line. There is really no reason you could not book the day of departure, it would only require a bit more time at check-in since your ID info would not be in the system. The lines may require 24 hours to ensure that the documentation is correct, but there isn't any governmental restriction that I'm aware of, CBP doesn't get the manifest until 60 minutes prior to sailing.

I just spoke with a Royal Caribbean reservationist and he said there is no way to get a cabin less than 2 days in advance. They told me that if people cancel due to missing the departure, they upgrade passengers already on the ship.

I just spoke with a Royal Caribbean reservationist and he said there is no way to get a cabin less than 2 days in advance. They told me that if people cancel due to missing the departure, they upgrade passengers already on the ship.

Not surprising but the rep gave you wrong (misleading) information. The cruises are available to book on the website until sometime between 12 and 3 pm(ish) the day before the cruise. Technically I suppose that is more than a day but when they say 2 days I interpret that as closer to 48 hours and not the 24-28 hours that is actually the case.

Not surprising but the rep gave you wrong (misleading) information. The cruises are available to book on the website until sometime between 12 and 3 pm(ish) the day before the cruise. Technically I suppose that is more than a day but when they say 2 days I interpret that as closer to 48 hours and not the 24-28 hours that is actually the case.
but as far as the OP's question, it just doesn't happen anymore.....K.O.:(

That sounds right. Many years ago one could do a walkup. They also used to have cruise actions to fill unsold cabins. I did that a few times. If you are just wanting to get a great last minute deal book 30 days out. I have booked that way quite a few times. 2 days before doesn't mean you will get a great deal.

Yeah--he was leading me to believe that if the sailing is Saturday, the last possible booking is Thursday. Glad you pointed that out!

Most cruises are sold out in the days before sailing because of the Going, Going, Gone sales.

I've monitored the GGG flier for at least two months and I've yet to see any sailing (6 days or longer) listed less than 30 days out. I think has to do with the RCI policy to no longer discount inside of 30 days.

So, as others have said, you might get a cabin on the last day, but you likely won't get a deal on it, which I assumed was the point of booking so last minute.

Edited by Biker19

The idea of getting a deal at the pier is a relic of the cruise business of the past and probably disappeared about the same time as the nightly midnight buffet.

Part of the problem is the persistent myth that ships are sailing half-full, which is usually based on how uncrowded the poster judges the MDR to be, or, some 2nd or 3rd hand info.

Folks, that's not the business model anymore!

What kind of deals could you expect by showing up at the pier on departure day? I'd really like to get a great deal on cruise, but even the cheap sites are very expensive this time of year. I love Royal Caribbean and don't live far from Bayonne. I thought I might pack a bag and head down there within the next couple of departures. It wouldn't be a problem at all for me to do that, but does anyone know if I might get a really great deal by showing up there at the last minute on sailing date?

It's a thing of the past.