Westerdam 7 night cruise to Alaska June 25

madera1

Just back from our week cruise on the Westerdam. It was our first time on the ship and first time sailing out of Seattle. Embarkation was a breeze. We stayed at the Hyatt Park place hotel for 2 nights pre cruise and it was very convenient for sightseeing. We arranged a ride to the port from the hotel for $8pp. We were picked up at 11 am and once at the port we had less than a ten minute wait to get on board.

After reading reviews we booked 5091 corner aft....LOVED it. We spent the day in Glacier Bay watching the action from the deck. We had 2 lounge chairs, a table and 4 chairs, plus 2 other cushioned rattan chairs and a cushioned rattan lounge chair. We even made a run to the Dive In grill for burgers for lunch and brought them back to our deck. Thank goodness we had near perfect weather all week.

Service was excellent all week. We ate 3 nights in the Pinnacle grill and the rest of the week late seating. Food was overall good. We ate breakfast a few times in our room and 2 times in the Pinnacle. The other times we went up to the Lido. We had the explore 4 and used our room key to purchase all kinds of drinks all week. Never got near the limit. We did buy large bottle waters to take off ship with this program. We enjoyed the entertainment on the ship. I definitely would sail on the Westerdam again.

We celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary on ship and received a card from the captain as well as cake when we ate in the Pinnacle Grill and then a 2nd one the next night when we returned to the MDR. Very nice touch by the ship.

We splurged and got the week pass to the spa and we did use it every day. Loved the heated lounge chairs and only one time did we have to wait for a chair.

We took the blue bus to Mendehall Glacier in Juneau and then took the tram to Mt. Roberts as it was a clear day. We walked to Totem Pole park in Sitka and then on to the Birds of Prey rescue center. I booked a taxi to take our group of 6 on a tour to the outskirts of Ketchikan. Thank goodness we did this as we avoided the crowds and were able to see bear, eagles, a seal chasing king salmon and deer. Wind picked up that night at we did not reach Victoria until later than we were first told so all excursions were cancelled. We were cleared to leave the ship after 8 pm. We did get off and took a little water taxi. It was Canada Day so lots of crowds. We returned to the ship and watched the fireworks display from the front of the Crows Nest. If anyone has questions I will try to answer them.

I'm in this cruise in 2 days. Never cruised before and never been to Alaska. Been stressed about what to pack, how I'll like cruising and what excursions to book with my OBC. Glad to hear a good report from you. I hear so many mixed reviews on this site.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Thank you for wonderful review. So glad you had a great time. My husband and I will be on the Westerdam in about three weeks so really good to hear of your experience.

Happy Anniversary!

My husband and I will also be on the Westerdam to Alaska at the end of the month. First time in Alaska, first time on HAL. I really appreciate all the reviews of the ship and hope our weather is as good as the OP's. Not sailing in an aft wrap, but am looking forward to sitting out admiring the views.

I did the same cruise June 18. Weather was great. Crew was excellent. Perfect week in Alaska. After such a short 7 day cruise it left me wanting for more.

I know. It was too short but thank goodness we have another cruise already booked so have something to anticipate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like you had a great cruise :)

Happy to hear it. Suspect Captain Van Eerten would still have been on board the "beautiful, elegant Westerdam".

Thanks for the great report and welcome home :)

Sounds like you had a great cruise :)

Happy to hear it. Suspect Captain Van Eerten would still have been on board the "beautiful, elegant Westerdam".

Thanks for the great report and welcome home :)

He was leaving the ship the day we departed. He was very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD