Open Letter To Norwegian Cruise Lines

I had several clients who were affected by NCL's cancellation of the Jewel Mexican Riviera cruises this fall. All of them complied with making a change in the extremely limited timeframe alotted to them by NCL. The compensation to them for having to significantly change vacation plans was neglible - Reimbursement of air change fees (but not any increased airfare they incurred) and a paltry onboard credit. It took me countless hours on hold (as a travel agent) with NCL Guest Relations. Just to get through to someone was a MINIMUM 1-1.5hr hold, if the call didn't drop. Then each call I had to rehash the entire scenario again and then wait on hold while they checked with a supervisor. I was told, on more than one occasion, that a refund check had been mailed only to have 7-10 business days go by without clients receiving said checks. In all it took 3+ months from my clients claims being submitted before they finally all were paid. All were in the $200-400 range.

As an agent I can, to a degree, influence my clients buying decision. This episode, along with numerous non customer friendly policies/changes, has made me far less likely to recommend NCL to my clients. I often times encourage my clients to consider other options over the NCL cruises they originally asked for. I want clients to feel they are getting good value for their dollar spent, who feel valued as a customer once onboard, and when problems happen have those issues resolved professionally and efficiently. I worry that NCL can no longer do these things and that could ultimately hurt my business.

I worry that NCL is a company spinning out of control. They seem hell bent on squeezing every last penny out of each passenger over providing a high value consumer offering. I do not begrudge a business making money, but you have to find a balance between increased revenue and customer satisfaction. Lately all I see is them increasing consumer costs, lowering their value proposition and driving people away.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Since NCL won't reimburse you, get your credit card company to reverse payments you made to NCL? You certainly have a valid case for a successful dispute, with all your documentation.

I had several clients who were affected by NCL's cancellation of the Jewel Mexican Riviera cruises this fall. All of them complied with making a change in the extremely limited timeframe alotted to them by NCL. The compensation to them for having to significantly change vacation plans was neglible - Reimbursement of air change fees (but not any increased airfare they incurred) and a paltry onboard credit. It took me countless hours on hold (as a travel agent) with NCL Guest Relations. Just to get through to someone was a MINIMUM 1-1.5hr hold, if the call didn't drop. Then each call I had to rehash the entire scenario again and then wait on hold while they checked with a supervisor. I was told, on more than one occasion, that a refund check had been mailed only to have 7-10 business days go by without clients receiving said checks. In all it took 3+ months from my clients claims being submitted before they finally all were paid. All were in the $200-400 range.

As an agent I can, to a degree, influence my clients buying decision. This episode, along with numerous non customer friendly policies/changes, has made me far less likely to recommend NCL to my clients. I often times encourage my clients to consider other options over the NCL cruises they originally asked for. I want clients to feel they are getting good value for their dollar spent, who feel valued as a customer once onboard, and when problems happen have those issues resolved professionally and efficiently. I worry that NCL can no longer do these things and that could ultimately hurt my business.

I worry that NCL is a company spinning out of control. They seem hell bent on squeezing every last penny out of each passenger over providing a high value consumer offering. I do not begrudge a business making money, but you have to find a balance between increased revenue and customer satisfaction. Lately all I see is them increasing consumer costs, lowering their value proposition and driving people away.

I can't argue with anything you said. NCL needs to clean up its act.

Woo hoo! Just off the phone with NCL Guest Services. Was told that our cheque has been cut and is in the Post. Shall advise when the Pony Express delivers it...

Hey Crown Vic......And you believe them? :p

With the Canada Post strike looming, they will need to use ponies :p I don't suppose they will even consider using a courier or as you said, direct deposit back into the credit card account.:(

My friends just received the balance of their onboard account a week ago, all kinds of excuses were given, we mailed it, it must be lost in the mail, no we didn't mail it, we're sending the cheques to Canada all in one go (that was the biggest bs I heard!....the cheques are in USD, what's the difference where it is going...and my cheque for the balance of the onboard account was cut within 4 weeks)

It took a lot of phone calls, online messages, emails, frustration, etc to even apply the credit to a future cruise, and now the wait for hotel reimbursement......and what punkincc said about meal reimbursement...so true. It isn't the amount but the fact that some were reimbursed for meals and some apparently not, according to the email that we were sent......but maybe they changed their mind on that....will confirm when my cheque arrives.

It is really a shame that the post-cruise customer service has been so poor. We had a wonderful cruise, the compensation package offered was way more than expected, but the difficulties trying to get that compensation has pixxed off so many people.

Hey Crown Vic......And you believe them?...but the difficulties trying to get that compensation has pixxed off so many people.

Hello Freckles. Just back from a Norway/North Cape cruise on the Norwegian Star. Terrific trip! Waiting for our reimbursable OBC refund from that trip. 4 to 6 weeks we were told. As they say in the military, "they also serve who sit and wait"...so...wait it is for this refund and the PoA cheque. Time will tell! Next 5 cruises are on...shhh!...Celebrity, HAL and Royal Caribbean. Enjoy NCL at sea but not their land based organization so think we'll give them a rest for a bit. Happy cruising...

Woo hoo! Just off the phone with NCL Guest Services. Was told that our cheque has been cut and is in the Post. Shall advise when the Pony Express delivers it...

Hope that is true Vic and let us know how it goes. Others had been told that as well to only find out later upon calling again that no check had been cut.

Hope that is true Vic and let us know how it goes. Others had been told that as well to only find out later upon calling again that no check had been cut.

Dexddd, sitting by the letter box waiting. The Pony Express is rather slow heading this way but shall certainly give a loud 'woo hoo' when the cheque is received. Thanks for your interest and support. Cheers...

We were on that cruise with many of these posters. The letter written by the OP is excellent, and shows what a poor cruise line this is. Many people are still waiting for refunds they were supposed to receive. It is now July, and this happened in March.

However there was no consistency in reimbursement. Some people were reimbursed for their hotel, meals, taxi, and others just the hotel. I only wish that we were not on our way and taken the full refund, stayed a couple of extra days in San Franciso, and not wasted our time.

I did get refunded for the hotel, which was the only charge I felt was necessary. It took a very long time. Additionally we were refunded for our cruise next certificate AFTER the 30 day period. We left our $2000 credit for "inconvenience" with NCL, and would not go again for free.

These posters have been patient, and NCL has treated them horribly.

By comparison, we were booked for a second trip on the Celebrity Xpedition in the Galapagos. The ship was empounded due to some out of season lobster in the freezer. We were given..in the blink of an eye..a full refund of the cruise back to our credit card, first class airfare reimbursed back to the credit card. We did not book it with them, and last but not least they gave us a 75% off certificate on the Xpedition which we used 2 years ago.

That is how to run a company....

OP and all affected....I truly feel sorry for you....this is sad indeed...NCL really has dropped the ball...and just another example of poor customer service and lack of respect for loyal customers.

When I opened this thread I thought it was going to be another water thread :eek:

This is a legit complaint. The delay is uncontrollable and in the hands of the cruise line. This was not an act from mother nature that caused the delay. Hopefully those affected can have things cleared up.

When I opened this thread I thought it was going to be another water thread :eek:

This is a legit complaint. The delay is uncontrollable and in the hands of the cruise line. This was not an act from mother nature that caused the delay. Hopefully those affected can have things cleared up.

Actually NCL did claim that the delay was due to mother nature....there had been a lot of rain in San Francisco and the open decks were scheduled for renovation and still being worked on while we were crossing to Hawaii.

Also the ship was not able to go out for the scheduled sea trials after refurb, due to bad weather all that day, so the sea trials were a day late.

However that does not excuse the unfinished spa which was not open at all throughout the cruise. I understand the laundry area was also unfinished and not fully operational.

To me, all of this was a minor inconvenience, the worst part being getting a hotel room for the extra night in San Francisco. Once that was settled my friends and I made the most of the extra day in San Francisco and it was a beautiful sunny day.

The cruise fare was a great price compared to the regular 7-day, and personally when I booked the cruise I did consider the possibility of delay and some areas unfinished.

My only complaint is the post-cruise customer service. Even the rules on the use of the credit changed post-cruise, several times. :rolleyes:

We average 2 to 4 cruises per year on Norwegian Cruise Lines. We have 3 more cruises booked for future cruises and may very well be our last on Norwegian Cruise Lines.

We find it very difficult to determine why Norwegian Cruises Lines would continue the delays in the reimbursement to the passengers of the scheduled Pride of America sailing on March 15th, 2016. While Frank Del Rio boasts about NCL’s increase in Revenues and Net Income, NCL fails to honor their commitment to the passenger of the Pride of America.

It is my sincere hope that NCL Executive Management in Miami sees this post, and responds back in an Open Letter to all Passengers of this specific sailing. Most of all we hope that NCL understands that future loss of revenue from loyal NCL passengers is far greater than paying out a check of $317.08 that is due to loyal customers that have supported NCL over many years.

Given your doubts , why are you keeping your 3 reservations ? There are so many alternatives .Are you past the penalty dates ?

Thanks for your reply.

I have sent emails direct to Frank Del Rio-CEO, Andy Stuart- President and Wendy Beck-CFO, at the corporate offices in Miami, Fl.

NCL reads the Cruise Critic message boards. On every NCL voyage ( 25 in total) we always had a CC Meet and Greet and the Executive Officers on the ship are quite aware of the power of Cruise Critic.

Hope you are correct but given the current beverage carry-on ban I'm doubtful .

Edited by richstowe

Given your doubts , why are you keeping your 3 reservations ? There are so many alternatives .Are you past the penalty dates ?

Hope you are correct but given the current beverage carry-on ban I'm doubtful .

SO wants to keep the current reservations. I am ready to cancel, as I am so pissed at NCL and the culture changes that have taken place. The Guest Services is not Guest Services as they do not serve the passengers/guests of NCL well at all.

We will see what happens with my Open Letter to NCL, as it has appeared in several places that NCL markets including their own social media websites.

Here's the announcement sent to us today reference the water and beverage ban.

We have been informed that Norwegian is changing their policy regarding which beverages guests can bring onboard. The stricter policy prohibits all beverages except for wine. Please review the details below:

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

Why the change in policy?

The inspection of large volumes of beverages has an impact on the embarkation process and security resources. As one example, guests who attempt to smuggle alcoholic beverages onboard often try to do so in beverage containers. This means all beverages must be personally screened, taking both time and dedicated personnel.

What if I purchase a beverage in a port of call?

Guests will not be permitted to bring any beverages onboard the ship in ports of call and any locally-purchased beverages will be disposed of prior to embarkation. No open containers of beverages, including water, will be allowed onboard during a port of call.

If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

What happens if I bring a case of water to the ship?

Guests who bring beverages to embarkation will be directed to return the items to their vehicle. If the guest does not have a vehicle onsite, the items will be disposed of.

If I need to bring water or milk onboard for a medical reason or infant, what’s the process?

Guests who have special needs or medical requirements should contact the access desk at accessdesk@ncl.com. Families with infants who require water for formula or milk should advise the security team during embarkation and those items will be inspected at the check point.

Can I still bring wine on board?

Yes, guests may bring sealed bottles of wine on board for personal consumption. They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 USD for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 USD for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle. Box wines are not allowed on board. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.

Edited by FormulaRacer

Friday, July 15...still waiting for delivery of the cheque that NCL Guest Services said would be cut Thursday, July 7 and sent...

Finally received our reimbursement today after calling for the 6th time only this morning (hold time 1 hour). I've had the, don't have your paperwork, hmm some kind of hold on the process and two we issued your check but it's been returned to us (address confirmed each time). Today I was told my check had been mailed on the July 1st and I should get it today or Monday. If it wasn't here Monday I was supposed to call back. The date on the check was July 6th, and the postmark date was July 12th. I really hate being lied to which is what has obviously happened here.

As much as we enjoyed the make up cruise with the credit received I don't think we will be sailing on Norwegian again!

Friday, July 15...still waiting for delivery of the cheque that NCL Guest Services said would be cut Thursday, July 7 and sent...

Hey Crown Vic, take comfort in the fact that you are not alone.

My TA had a group on board and every client has received their hotel reimbursement, except me :(

On the 2 cheques that have been received for the unused balance of pre-purchased OBC, mine and my cruise mates, as well as my cruise mates' hotel reimbursement, the stamped mailing date was 6 days after the date on the cheque...on all 3. So it would appear that they do not mail the cheque right away.

.......and then we wait for snail mail :rolleyes:. At least the posties did not go on strike....yet.

Finally received our reimbursement today after calling for the 6th time only this morning ... As much as we enjoyed the make up cruise with the credit received I don't think we will be sailing on Norwegian again!

Good news ;)

Okay, so NCL's mail room is slow, very slow - maybe it's an inter-office messenger / delivery programs in getting those cheques to the nearest post office, LOL. Was it out of Miami HQ or somewhere else ?

What an embarrassment, IMO (not if your final payment to NCL is due)

It's good news for once, I think (that's a positive "spin")

On April 8, we mailed our request to NCL Customer Relations along with receipts.

On April 28 after receiving no confirmation of receipt I called and was told "no record of my request". Mailed 2nd request that day.

On June 8, still hearing nothing, I called and they were able to locate both of the letters, but it still had not been reviewed. The staff person asked the "coordinator" to review the request and give approval while I was on the phone.

Approval given on June 8.

July 15, a check was received dated 7-06, so they waited an additional 30 days after approval before cutting the check.

Money reimbursed 90 plus days after initial request.

Right, well said. I was hoping to see check yesterday based on some people finally getting theirs, but alas, not to happen and yet another week passes after our hotel expense was approved for payment May 24 and sent to Accounting.

It is very odd that your's was approved in May and ours in June, yet we got our check before yours.

There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to their process. I don't think they even started by earliest date of submission and then worked their way through. When I called to check status on our request, they were not logging them in as received. They really had no idea whether they had mine or not. They were all "in a huge pile", she said. Apparently, they just take a few off the top of the pile each week, probably the last ones in, and review them. And you know, they only review them on Wednesdays, or so I was told, so if you don't make the cut on any particular Wednesday, your letter will lie in the stack until the following Wednesday, and the following Wednesday, beneath an ever larger stack of mail.:rolleyes:.

And who knows what happens after they get to accounting. 4 weeks there before check cut.

It's July 20th and Guest Services told me this morning that the cheque was sent out on July 8th. and the account marked 'finalized'. Guess the Pony Express needs a new pony...so...still sitting by the post box...