I don't get it

rvmike

90% of questions asked on these boards are available from the cruise line yet people seem to have no clue. If you booked why not ask the line and not here where you will get 3 diff. answers to the same question or many opinions that don't answer the question. I understand if you are a first timer but some are just ??? (dress code). Flame on

90% of questions asked on these boards are available from the cruise line yet people seem to have no clue. If you booked why not ask the line and not here where you will get 3 diff. answers to the same question or many opinions that don't answer the question. I understand if you are a first timer but some are just ??? (dress code). Flame on

We all have OCD. :p

Actually, the cruise line reps do not know the answers to most of the questions here. Almost all of them have never even been on a cruise ship and if they have, it probably was only one time.

Among questions they cannot answer:

o Sizes of rooms and balconies

o Which balcony cabins are fully exposed to the sun

o Where are the smoking areas

o What are the actual times of traditional dining on a ship

o How good is a particular shore excursion

o How many men are in a tux on formal evenings

o How much noise is there from below or above for a specific cabin

o Do the berths for a third and fourth passenger come from the ceiling or are they mounted on a wall

o What refreshments are available at the elite/platinum/suite lounge

o What are the hours of the elite/platinum/suite lounge

o Where on a particular ship is the elite/platinum/suite lounge normally held

o Who is the current Captain/Maitre d'/Cruise Director/Captain's Circle rep on a ship

o What movies are currently being shown on MUTS

o How many electrical outlets are in a mini-suite

o Which nights are likely to be the formal nights on a cruise

o What choices are there on the canape list for elites on formal evenings

o What is the best place to see Venice (or glaciers in Alaska or Panama Canal locks or ...) as you sail by

o Where on a ship can I get fresh-squeezed orange juice

o Is chocolate milk available for children

..... and many more topics

...why not ask the line and not here where you will get 3 diff. answers to the same question...

Sounds reasonable, until you discover that you may very well get three different answers from Princess if you call them three different times. Many here in CC have cruised more on Princess than their own phone reps have, so they are often giving better informed answers.

Thanks, now I can get this off my chest:

This is the only forum I'm on--and I'm on a lot--where many questions are answered with a snotty "why are you bothering to post this question"?

I'll give you a brief overview of how the Internet works:

People are interested in other people's real-world experiences.

See? Simple.

(Additionally, sometimes people can't make the call (non business hours, or they can't manage the hold time (calling from work, etc), or they know dang well that call center reps rarely have up to date info.)

I'd urge all of you who are offended by mere *questions* to find something weightier to be outraged about. Look around you--there are plenty of options. And if this is really the worst thing happening to you, I envy you.

And if you get some sort of weird endorphin rush from jumping on people for asking questions--I don't envy you at all, because there are much cooler ways to obtain enjoyment from life.

Edited by AdoraBelle

Sometimes, in the "real world," actual experience does not match the published information not to mention that often, reps and even some TAs are just plain wrong.

That said, a lot of the questions are easily answered by reading the Princess FAQs. And often, the poster thinks the answers in the FAQs don't apply to them.

Edited by Pam in CA

Sometimes you ask the line and get 5 different answers, even off the same person.

Many cruises here at CC know more than the person on the end of the phone who has never been on a ship, or only on one cruise.

We all have OCD. :p

That's the best answer. :D Also there are a very few who post about subjects they suspect will stir the pot--kind of a form of entertainment, I guess.

Edited by shredie

Because CC is fun!

Talking with other cruisers is more fun than sifting through FAQs on the website. I haven't found cruiseline websites to be super user friendly when searching for specific info. Cruiseline phone reps are not always any more knowledgeable than we are. We speculate about weather with other people all the time when we could just look up the weather on tv or internet. No one gets in a huff about that. We just like to talk with others about their experiences. Those of us who have cruised know that what is published on websites is not always reality.

Before I create a new thread I look to see if my question has been asked and answered in the past. If the answer is stale say 1 or 2 years ago I may ask the question again. There maybe newer information that other cruisers have because they just returned from a specific itinerary or ship and have updated information.

Experiences do not match up with questions that you ask Princess. Some post here of what a Princess rep told them and from experienced cruisers, the answer they got was totally wrong. Even some of the "perks" Princess offers is misleading and people come here to ask the question and they get the correct answer. There's no need for me to go to Princess FAQ because I know what I read here is probably 99.9% correct.

Well, for a variety of reasons. [emoji41]

Have you called into a customer service number for any company recently? Why go through painful prompts and hold times when you can spend 30 seconds and get an answer to a question that is likely more accurate than what the cruise line rep is telling you who is likely in some call center and has likely never set foot on a Princess Ship.

You mention dress code in your post. The Princess website clearly lists the dress code for formal night as a dinner jacket, tux, or dark suit. In reality a lot of people wear a variety of clothing from long sleeve dress shirts to sport coats etc. So the answer you would get from the cruise line is in effect "wrong". Please don't turn this thread into a dress code discussion, I was simply showcasing the difference between a cruise line answer and reality whether you agree with reality or not.

We all like talking to each other here! Most every question has been asked and answered, why not just make a FAQ based on those previous answers? Because this is a forum where enjoy interacting with one another, brining up new ideas and thoughts, and sharing those with others on here that share a common interest. I enjoy reading posts from Pam, Tracie, moki, and many others here. Much more fun than reading a FAQ!

Just my thoughts, thanks to everyone for making this board what it is!

Because it appears that some people try to think up a really quirky question just so they can post.

Just because I had a great time or a poor time on a cruise doesn't mean you will.

I thought it was great going on my first cruise knowing nothing except what I read in the brochure, an adventure for sure.

Why does someone need to know who the Matre'D will be.

People should check there (FAQ) first to see if they can find the answer there. I can't think of a question that would not be in there. If you can't find it thats fine ask away but put some effort in.

I think you have that backwards. Why ask the reps who know nothing when you can get the answer here.

I agree. With this web site and the internet... a traveler and cruiser is armed with all the info they need to book and manage their own travel fairly easily if they want to invest the time.

We have well over 50 cruises on 9 different lines; still find cc is an excellent resource if quesitons.

Because it appears that some people try to think up a really quirky question just so they can post.

Just because I had a great time or a poor time on a cruise doesn't mean you will.

I thought it was great going on my first cruise knowing nothing except what I read in the brochure, an adventure for sure.

Why does someone need to know who the Matre'D will be.

To each his own. :p

Edited by Colo Cruiser