who carries $187,000?

I'm trying to think of anyone other than a drug courier who carries that much cash, but so far have not come up with anybody. Any other suggestions? I'd think the DEA and Boston PD would be curious.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7122

Royal Caribbean Surprises Honest Boston Taxi Cab Driver with a Free Cruise

Royal Caribbean has stepped in to reward the cab driver who found and returned a backpack with $187,000 in it -- and received a $100 tip in return. In hearing the story, Royal Caribbean felt the selfless act by Raymond "Buzzy" MacCausland deserved more and surprised the driver with a free seven-night Caribbean vacation onboard his choice of one of the world's largest cruise ships, Oasis of the Seas or Allure of the Seas. According to the Royal Caribbean blog: "The unexpected honesty and integrity MacCausland demonstrated is what made Royal Caribbean want to reward his good deed." The line will also provide roundtrip airfare and VIP treatment onboard.

I'm trying to think of anyone other than a drug courier who carries that much cash, but so far have not come up with anybody. Any other suggestions? I'd think the DEA and Boston PD would be curious.

Royal Caribbean has stepped in to reward the cab driver who found and returned a backpack with $187,000 in it -- and received a $100 tip in return. In hearing the story, Royal Caribbean felt the selfless act by Raymond "Buzzy" MacCausland deserved more and surprised the driver with a free seven-night Caribbean vacation onboard his choice of one of the world's largest cruise ships, Oasis of the Seas or Allure of the Seas. According to the Royal Caribbean blog: "The unexpected honesty and integrity MacCausland demonstrated is what made Royal Caribbean want to reward his good deed." The line will also provide roundtrip airfare and VIP treatment onboard.

Anytime you take that much out of bank Gov't already know's. But if you read the story he was a homeless man who received an inheritance...

The man had been homeless for the last six months and was living in the Pine Street Inn in Boston. He had recently inherited the money after his parents died. The story has been verified by the authorities.

The man had been homeless for the last six months and was living in the Pine Street Inn in Boston. He had recently inherited the money after his parents died. The story has been verified by the authorities.

Sad, hopefully there is help for the homeless guy to fix whatever demons made him go homeless, protect his money in a bank and get him in a safe shelter or an apartment.

Hipefully, his money could be used to get him a more normal existence.

Anytime you take that much out of bank Gov't already know's. But if you read the story he was a homeless man who received an inheritance...
CruiseCritic did not provide a link (at least not that I see), and I had not searched. Thanks for the rest of the story. I hope the guy gets his act together and becomes more settled (but not holding my breath).

BTW I don't think drug dealers tend to use banks - but not knowing any drug dealers I might be wrong:rolleyes:

Thom

Well, the Ohio State football player who was found to have thousands of dollars of cash under his mattress said it was because he didn't trust banks.

At least it wasn't buried in a tin can (rust) in his back yard, like in "the olden days."

The story has been all over all the news outlets including CNN, USA Today and Good Morning America to name a few. It is a story of two people, the homeless man and the cabbie, both down on their luck who could use a break. Here is a link:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/07/05/cab-driver-returns-cash-fare-that-left-cash-backseat/rWly95VAmLghy4OlEsllMK/story.html

Might want to find out what the whole story is before you go judging people.

Boston PD and DEA checkout the money. He had the paperwork to prove that it was money he got from an inheritance . He was on the way to bank.

CruiseCritic did not provide a link (at least not that I see), and I had not searched. Thanks for the rest of the story. I hope the guy gets his act together and becomes more settled (but not holding my breath).

BTW I don't think drug dealers tend to use banks - but not knowing any drug dealers I might be wrong:rolleyes:

Thom

Here in the UK you have to go thro hoops to open any sort of account dealing with money just to prove you are not a drug dealer.

Talk about innocent til proved guilty.

Try doing anything for your grandchildren!!!

Once in Vegas, we won a bundle over several days, so it wasn't a one-time payout....LOTS of cash...we had trouble figuring out how to get it safely home. It was nowhere near that amount, tho!

(BTW...this was a one-time thing....hasn't happened again...drat it all!)

Most homeless folks have mental issues, if the homelessness is an ongoing thing....he will probably lose that money in short order, either to bad habits, carelessness, or some other lack of discipline or maturity that caused the homelessness in the 1st place.

Every one does, don't you???

I guess this person doesn't know about the $10,000. cash rule. Can't deposit or withdraw over this amount from any US bank or carry it out of the country.

You certainly, legally, can. The bank will be required to report the transaction to the government, though.

Edited by Mark_K

Diamond dealers are one.