who carries $187,000?

I guess this person doesn't know about the $10,000. cash rule. Can't deposit or withdraw over this amount from any US bank or carry it out of the country.
You certainly can withdrawal or deposit more than 10,000 from the bank anytime you wish....K.O.

You certainly, legally, can. The bank will be required to report the transaction to the government, though.

Yes you can, but your opening yourself up to a IRS audit. Also if carrying the cash out of the country and your caught, the cash can be confiscated from you. Wouldn't be a smart move.

Yes you can, but your opening yourself up to a IRS audit. Also if carrying the cash out of the country and your caught, the cash can be confiscated from you. Wouldn't be a smart move.

Newsflash, People can be honest and not worry about an IRS Audit. You also can carry the cash out of the Country as Long as it´s declared.

That's not even true at all.

It's just all about declaring it.

And taking that money out doesn't = an audit. There are plenty of people who legitimately move that sort of money around all the time and don't have audits happening every year.

Diamond dealers are one.

Lots of people carry that kind of cash around. Maybe not every day but it happens more often than you'd think.

And taking that money out doesn't = an audit. There are plenty of people who legitimately move that sort of money around all the time and don't have audits happening every year.

I can remember as a kid my dad taking more than that in US currency when we'd go out of the country on vacations.

FWIW, yes, drug dealers do use our banking. A US bank is one of the safest places in the world to put your money. It is just deposited in increments of under $10,000.

I guess this person doesn't know about the $10,000. cash rule. Can't deposit or withdraw over this amount from any US bank or carry it out of the country.

You certainly can. There is no such rule. Have done larger deposits/withdrawals several times this year alone.

Sad, hopefully there is help for the homeless guy to fix whatever demons made him go homeless, protect his money in a bank and get him in a safe shelter or an apartment.

Hipefully, his money could be used to get him a more normal existence.

Not all homeless have demons. Some just have rotten luck. I have a friend who is currently homeless (has a place to live right now only because she is house sitting for friends who have gone to Europe for the summer to visit relatives). She is employed, but just recently after a long period of unemployment due to layoffs and a beyond tight job market in her field. She applied for numerous lower level positions but was over qualified for them so didn't get hired. She lost her apartment a year ago and only kept her car because a few of us took care of the payments for a few months. She doesn't use drugs, drinks occasionally on a social basis, volunteers her time with two charities, and has no mental illness issues. She just got hit time and time again over the last few years and then kicked when she was down. I should mention she is a widow and her husbands illness took their life savings and she sold their home to pay off the medical bills which were around $250k after insurance. She tried to do everything right and got penalized for it time and again. Next time you see a homeless person, but them a meal and listen to their story. You will probably be surprised--and educated.

Where on earth do some people come up with this nonsense? It is perfectly legal to deposit or withdraw that amount, it is done regularly. It simply requires a form that is submitted to the IRS. As long as you can show the paper trail it is never a problem. It is also legal to bring that much in and out of most countries, it simply needs to be declared and you need to have a verifiable legitimate reason for it.

I have carried over $30k in cash between the US and Canada several times. I had a good reason for it which was verifiable, paperwork which showed the reason for it, and some additional official paperwork from a banking institution to add additional documentation.

I have also made six figure cash deposits. Again I had a paper trail and legitimate reason for it. The money went in and was immediately wired to a different bank account. If you knew what my job was at the time, it would make perfect sense. Yes, it was 100% legal and legitimate. In fact it is quite possible that well over half of the posters on these boards did business with myself or a coworker, in cash, at some point in their life.

Where on earth do some people come up with this nonsense? It is perfectly legal to deposit or withdraw that amount, it is done regularly. It simply requires a form that is submitted to the IRS. As long as you can show the paper trail it is never a problem. It is also legal to bring that much in and out of most countries, it simply needs to be declared and you need to have a verifiable legitimate reason for it.

I have carried over $30k in cash between the US and Canada several times. I had a good reason for it which was verifiable, paperwork which showed the reason for it, and some additional official paperwork from a banking institution to add additional documentation.

I have also made six figure cash deposits. Again I had a paper trail and legitimate reason for it. The money went in and was immediately wired to a different bank account. If you knew what my job was at the time, it would make perfect sense. Yes, it was 100% legal and legitimate. In fact it is quite possible that well over half of the posters on these boards did business with myself or a coworker, in cash, at some point in their life.

Sometimes all I can do is smile ducklite! It's amazing what folks will post at times!........K.O. Edited by Thetrail

Please. Stop. You are only digging a deeper hole and proving you don't have an inkling of a clue about any of this. You have not made a single valid statement on this thread. You are so misinformed that it laughable.

Edited by ducklite

years ago when my MIL passed away she left each of her kids some money. My husband decided we would take a drive down the shore to his mom's bank and cash the check there since it was the bank it was drawn on ( we had to call ahead and make an appointment so they would have the cash on hand). Everything went fine, so here we are driving in the car with $140,000 dollars in a duffle bag in the car. We stop at a light and a 17 yr old kid T-bones our car!! Pushes us across the road smashes in the side of my car! Here comes the police and fire department and I'm trying to figure out how you explain a duffle full of cash. Well they never even looked in the car but seeing this question who carries that kind of money brought back some memories and made me laugh. My lovely husband just wanted to see and hold that kind of cash for once. Said it was one thing to get a check but to actually see the cash would be fun.

Many business will also carry large amounts of cash to and from the bank, I know it wasn't the case here, but many people carry large amounts of cash, I was in a former career a banker, we had customers who carried huge amounts of cash.

One fellow was a used car dealer he'd always want cash when going on a buying trip, claimed he got better deals. We also had what many thought was a homeless lady as a customer, every month in she'd trot, into the managers office a withdrawal for the petty amount of $100,000 and off she toddle, I believe she gave most of it away to her fellow "homeless", her family were the owners of one of the biggest wineries in the country she had suffered with mental illness for decades the money was about 1/4 of the interest on her inheritance.

And whilst I'm in Australia we have similar rules about reporting and taking cash out of the country.

I'm trying to think of anyone other than a drug courier who carries that much cash, but so far have not come up with anybody. Any other suggestions? I'd think the DEA and Boston PD would be curious.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7122

Royal Caribbean Surprises Honest Boston Taxi Cab Driver with a Free Cruise

Royal Caribbean has stepped in to reward the cab driver who found and returned a backpack with $187,000 in it -- and received a $100 tip in return. In hearing the story, Royal Caribbean felt the selfless act by Raymond "Buzzy" MacCausland deserved more and surprised the driver with a free seven-night Caribbean vacation onboard his choice of one of the world's largest cruise ships, Oasis of the Seas or Allure of the Seas. According to the Royal Caribbean blog: "The unexpected honesty and integrity MacCausland demonstrated is what made Royal Caribbean want to reward his good deed." The line will also provide roundtrip airfare and VIP treatment onboard.

That's why I travel RCCL...

I think after working 30+ years in banking, I know what I'm talking about. If someone came into my branch with $10k in cash, either depositing or withdrawing, we would be in deep do- do if we did not fill out a cash currency transaction report. Who do you think looks at these?

I think after working 30+ years in banking, I know what I'm talking about. If someone came into my branch with $10k in cash, either depositing or withdrawing, we would be in deep do- do if we did not fill out a cash currency transaction report. Who do you think looks at these?

So let me ask you, have you ever deposited or withdrawn over $10K in cash to your personal account? Until you have and have had it specifically trigger an audit, you simply can not make that claim. As I mentioned previously, I have done so over 100 times and it NEVER triggered and audit.

Many of us have mentioned the need to present ID and fill out a government form. No one is denying that. We are however saying you are completely and absolutely incorrect in saying that doing so is "illegal" (your word) and would trigger an automatic audit.

Just admit it, you either don't know the law or had a momentary lapse of reason when making those incredibly inaccurate statements.

as long as a ctr is filed it's not a problem. there's probably thousands of ctrs filed per day. it's when you do smaller amounts often enough for them to see a suspicious pattern then it becomes a concern. your bank filing sars repeatedly would be much more of a problem than repeated ctrs. people are usually encouraged to deposit / withdraw more than 10k + one penny so you get the ctr filed. the compliance people in the bank are looking for unexplained activity that there isn't paperwork for. as long as you generate the paperwork, you're fine, unless there really is nefarious activity involved.

Nothing like hijacking a thread to discuss banking procedures. This WAS about a man doing the right thing and being recognized for it.. :rolleyes:
Actually the thread was about who carries large sums of money. As the OP I did not discuss the taxi driver (who did do the right thing). You really should read the original post before chastising people for not paying attention.:rolleyes:

I'm trying to think of anyone other than a drug courier who carries that much cash, but so far have not come up with anybody. Any other suggestions? I'd think the DEA and Boston PD would be curious.

[/i]

It's probably already been said, but I heard that he was homeless, but inherited it from a recent deceased relative. I'm hoping after that, he got some money management help.