What can be done in Australia if you have a bad cruise?

Golden is lovely, Mic. We really enjoyed our cruise on her.

Only negative is the tiny showers in the the bathrooms.

Nice to hear. The princess showers are not great and the curtains always want to stick to you, I bring magnetic clips to try and stop this from happening too much.

I also avoid cabins by the lifts and stairwells as some people tend to have a gossip while waiting for the lifts, teenagers love sitting on the stairs as well.:(

Whereas I look for one close to the lift foyer, maybe two or three cabins away.

Nice to hear. The princess showers are not great and the curtains always want to stick to you, I bring magnetic clips to try and stop this from happening too much.

Just do what I do.

Take anything you don't want to get wet, out of the bathroom, use the whole room as your shower recess.

Yes. We had a herd of elephants next to us on the Equinox.

We heard several herds of elephants on Solstice - ie kids running down corridors, all hours, even as late as 11pm.

Cabin walls on Solstice seemed very thin - we often heard the TV from one side, and our TV would turn on sometimes when they turned theirs on/off. And also heard voices and loud laughter from the other side when they were entertaining friends.

Never noticed any adjacent cabin noise on any Princess ship so far.

We heard several herds of elephants on Solstice - ie kids running down corridors, all hours, even as late as 11pm.

Cabin walls on Solstice seemed very thin - we often heard the TV from one side, and our TV would turn on sometimes when they turned theirs on/off. And also heard voices and loud laughter from the other side when they were entertaining friends.

Never noticed any adjacent cabin noise on any Princess ship so far.

Like I have mentioned previously, no matter how well you pick your cabin, you don't always get to pick your neighbours.:(

Ear plugs can be useful.:D

Whereas I look for one close to the lift foyer, maybe two or three cabins away.

We had a potentially terrible cabin on Dawn - near the lift foyer, and the laundrette, with a steward's storage area next to us. It actually turned out to be fantastic. Very little noise from people coming from the lift foyer or using the laundrette, and rarely any noise from the steward's storage area apart from one morning. All good, in fact.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We had a potentially terrible cabin on Dawn - near the lift foyer, and the laundrette, with a steward's storage area next to us. It actually turned out to be fantastic. Very little noise from people coming from the lift foyer or using the laundrette, and rarely any noise from the steward's storage area apart from one morning. All good, in fact.

I often wonder if we take our cautions too far.

Very lucky I would say, sounded like it was going for the noisy trifecta with only having the theatre below and the basketball above to make it worse.;)

Like I have mentioned previously, no matter how well you pick your cabin, you don't always get to pick your neighbours.:(

Ear plugs can be useful.:D

Luckily the noise was during the day or early evening. Also I don't think they were being excessively noisy either. I think the cabin walls are thinner than on the Princess ships. We shall see what it's like in February when we cruise on Solstice again.

I always carry ear plugs - actually ear putty as I can't tolerate normal ear plugs.

I think the worst noises would come from being under the pool deck and the scraping of seats. Or the restaurant prep area.

Never had one, but heard some disaster stories about them.

We were lucky our first few cruises we had a cabin that was two down to MDR etc and two up to buffet and pool deck, (small ship) and kept looking for similar, only after we heard complaints about noise from above and below did we realise how lucky we were.

Very lucky I would say, sounded like it was going for the noisy trifecta with only having the theatre below and the basketball above to make it worse.;)

It was an IA guarantee so could could only be on two decks - 9 & 10 on Dawn (sandwich decks) - unless they gave me a category upgrade which, thankfully they didn't. It was a calculated risk, especially as that cabin had been going in and out of inventory, but it paid off.

The reason I went for the IA guarantee was because some of the IBs are under the pool deck.

We've picked a very similar location on our upcoming Sun cruise, just one cabin further along so we're not next to the steward's storage area.

Luckily the noise was during the day or early evening. Also I don't think they were being excessively noisy either. I think the cabin walls are thinner than on the Princess ships. We shall see what it's like in February when we cruise on Solstice again.

I always carry ear plugs - actually ear putty as I can't tolerate normal ear plugs.

Most areas would only bother you if you sleep late, but then when on holiday, who wants to be up with the sparrows unless it is a port day.:D

It was an IA guarantee so could could only be on two decks - 9 & 10 on Dawn (sandwich decks) - unless they gave me a category upgrade which, thankfully they didn't. It was a calculated risk, especially as that cabin had been going in and out of inventory, but it paid off.

The reason I went for the IA guarantee was because some of the IBs are under the pool deck.

We've picked a very similar location on our upcoming Sun cruise, just one cabin further along so we're not next to the steward's storage area.

Glad the measured gamble worked out for you.:D

Most areas would only bother you if you sleep late, but then when on holiday, who wants to be up with the sparrows unless it is a port day.:D

I usually wake in time for breakfast in the MDR. Rarely set an alarm unless it's a port day where we're doing an excursion. I did NOT enjoy getting up at 5:30am for a Bangkok excursion, although I was glad we did it.

I usually wake in time for breakfast in the MDR. Rarely set an alarm unless it's a port day where we're doing an excursion. I did NOT enjoy getting up at 5:30am for a Bangkok excursion, although I was glad we did it.

When cruising, we tend to rise around 8-8.30am unless it is a port day and then depending on the port, I will often get up for the sail in around 6am. At home we are nearly always up early, so relaxing on a cruise and getting up when we naturally wake is part of the holiday.:D

I can imagine as it is one of the several areas to avoid.

Especially if the pool leaks with all those food laden cruisers in it, instant super shower, rather unpleasant in the cabins below.

Edited by NSWP

Especially if the pool leaks with all those food laden cruisers in it, instant super shower, rather unpleasant in the cabins below.

Water beds on a cruise ship and inside cabins with views of the water are two advantages.:p

Edited by MicCanberra

That's another reason to avoid exposed balcony cabins. When the crew wash down the pool deck at night they push the water over the side. If you happen to be sitting on your balcony it can come as a bit of a shock!

That's another reason to avoid exposed balcony cabins. When the crew wash down the pool deck at night they push the water over the side. If you happen to be sitting on your balcony it can come as a bit of a shock!

Yuck! I would have thought there would have been drains to take that water away.