What is something you pack that most people don't know to pack for a cruise?

CruiseMuch?

Thank you all for the replies. A lot of good information and good ideas.

Since I started this post, I guess I will address some of the comments made:

cbatsea: Of course you don't NEED any of these things. Just looking for ideas from other seasoned cruisers.

donaldsc: This wasn't a must have list, just some ideas people might bring and benefit from, to make the cabin etc more functional, space saving etc.

Many ideas are solved with a smart-phone, flashlight, clock etc.

Ashland: The magnetic board counts the days, says happy sea day etc. We also post things "like went to the pool" etc. A great way to communicate. we are not giving away our exact whereabouts to psychopaths.

Side-note: keep the marker in your cabin, not clipped to your board-we had some interesting artwork drawn on our board.

Magnum60- A Credit card is a good piece of vacation info-Thanks for that. Many people choose to pack wisely so as to not buy a bunch of stuff to take home and store with the same stuff you could have packed and benefited from. For example, I would be happy if I brought Advil from home rather than paying $9 for it on the ship.

Keep the ideas coming.

Happy Cruising.

...as little as possible. We only do carry on.

Many people do not know how to pack. They revert to bringing everything right down to every pair of shoes they have ever owned and the kitchen sink for good measure.

Edited by iancal

...as little as possible. We only do carry on.

Many people do not know how to pack. They revert to bringing everything right down to every pair of shoes they have ever owned and the kitchen sink for good measure.

Who says they don't know how to pack....they just don't pack sparingly like you do. I don't do carry on only so I have more room for things. I'd rather have it available than have to find something and pay a high price for it...if I can find it. My choice on how I want to spend my vacation time and money. It's not your choice, but it is not wrong either.

The extension cord they give you is about 1/4 in Dia. and i never had a problem with Duct tape.

But did you check to see if the duck tape came off cleanly w/o a residue or have you just gotten away w it.

DON

I always NEED to bring an extension cord and duct tape.Since Ships do not have outlets on the headboard side of the room. My wife like many cruisers needs a C Pap machine.

My DH decided to bring his C Pap machine at the last minute (after some encouragement by me ;)) and we had no time to contact special needs. We called housekeeping as soon as we got into our cabin and they very quickly brought a very nice long heavy duty extension cord and a gallon of distilled water.

My DH decided to bring his C Pap machine at the last minute (after some encouragement by me ;)) and we had no time to contact special needs. We called housekeeping as soon as we got into our cabin and they very quickly brought a very nice long heavy duty extension cord and a gallon of distilled water.

Years ago they did the same for us but the Heavy Duty Cord must go across from the bed over to the opposite wall leaving a possible tripping hazard.That is why i bring Duct Tape.

If I could suggest only one must-have item after looking back at our 20 something cruises over the last 20 years, it would binoculars. I never knew how much I would use them until our Alaska cruise. I have taken them on every cruise since Alaska and use them frequently.

But after reading the other posts on the thread, I admit we have also grown attached to our wireless speakers.

Burt

[email=https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=111,3632&T1=MLP457+BK]https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=111,3632&T1=MLP457+BK[/email]

These are great for the nightstand. Pack flat and when you snap them together they hold everything you put on the nightstand top--keeps things like watches, earrings, etc from falling behind the nightstand and under the bed. I always take off my watch and earrings and put them there.

Edited by GlendaleCruiser

Small travel clock with temperature readout. Ends arguments about cabin temperature.

There is no way someone can have speakers and music on a balcony and not bother their neighbors.

On one cruise, the neighbors set out their speakers, cranked up the sound then went into their cabin with the door open. Needless to say, they only did that once.:D

If you care anything about the marine environment, please don't use anything but the ocean safe detergent provided by the cruise line.

I really care about the marine environment. I have never heard regular detergent should not be used, only use the cruise line detergent. I searched the internet and couldn't find anything saying to just use the cruise line detergent. Can you cite anything about that? Today's laundry detergents have been modified from years past to help the environment, I know that.

We always bring prescription anti puke and anti diarrhea meds in case we eat something on or off the ship that does not agree with us.

This is especially useful when traveling in third world country areas. We do this on both cruise and land trips and there have been several occasions I have woken up feeling really awful in the middle of the night. Worth their weight in gold especially if you have a sensitive stomach.

DH, the lucky sucker, has never had to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Viv0828

I really care about the marine environment. I have never heard regular detergent should not be used, only use the cruise line detergent. I searched the internet and couldn't find anything saying to just use the cruise line detergent. Can you cite anything about that? Today's laundry detergents have been modified from years past to help the environment, I know that.

Are you aware that a cruise ship discharges hundreds of thousands of gallons of gray water (showers, laundries, etc) per week?

Some cruise lines with self-serve laundries, provide detergent that is formulated to have a minimal impact on the ship's gray water disposal system as well as the body of water into which that waste is pumped.

For example, Oceania has a liquid detergent dispenser and signs that explain the necessity of protecting the system and environment by using only that detergent. It is my understanding that HAL has a history of going one step further with washing machines that auto dispense their own detergent. Not sure how Princess operates. But, they may have some information posted in their laundries that state similar precautions.

While we're at it, I hope you're using "reef safe" sunscreen too.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I would say that with the possible exception of the Ziploc bags, 100% of your list is totally unnecessary. I will also comment that we have not had one of what will be a long packing list thread in at least a day or so. Here we go again.

DON

Don't like it, don't read it:D

Also just because you don't need or want any of those things doesn't mean someone else might not.

Being ex military I take a few things, just in case, you wouldn't need those either, til the time came!

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

What are some items on your cruise packing list that most people would not know to bring on a cruise?

This time we're bringing a magnetic poetry kit on our 15-day Panama Canal trip. Lots of sea days, and since the cabin is magnetic, I thought we'd have some fun with it.

But after reading the other posts on the thread, I admit we have also grown attached to our wireless speakers.

Burt

I hope that you have always had the courtesy of only using these inside your stateroom, and not where you would be inflicting your music on other guests. There are few things that bother me more than trying to relax on my balcony and having to hear someone else's noise.

There are few things that bother me more than trying to relax on my balcony and having to hear someone else's noise.

I'm confident that you courteously ask your neighbor to keep their noise at acceptable levels.

Burt

I'm confident that you courteously ask your neighbor to keep their noise at acceptable levels.

Burt

To me, if I can hear it, it's not acceptable. I want to only hear the sound of the ocean passing by. So there is not an acceptable level to me, and a call to the front desk is in order. Asking them to turn it down is not going to work.

To me, if I can hear it, it's not acceptable. I want to only hear the sound of the ocean passing by. So there is not an acceptable level to me, and a call to the front desk is in order. Asking them to turn it down is not going to work.

Same here. If I am out on my balcony, all I want to hear is the ocean. On one of our first cruises, our neighbors had brought a guitar on board and played it on the balcony. It drove me crazy. I wish I had said something, but I didn't know my options at the time.

I'm having a hard time imagining you all enjoying a cruise when you get yourselves worked up over assuming the worst in people. We have never had a single request about our music. A lot of folks just in this discussion take wireless speakers and going to assume they haven't received any complaints either.

Let's not follow this rabbit trail any farther and get back to what has been an enjoyable discussion.

Burt

We enjoy bringing a Fitbit so we can see how much we walked each day. Certainly not an essential item but we enjoy keeping track of our steps and miles walked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app