What is something you pack that most people don't know to pack for a cruise?

CruiseMuch?

Small travel clock with temperature readout. Ends arguments about cabin temperature.

There is no way someone can have speakers and music on a balcony and not bother their neighbors.

On one cruise, the neighbors set out their speakers, cranked up the sound then went into their cabin with the door open. Needless to say, they only did that once.:D

THIS!!!

Also for Duck (sic) tape folks who gotta have it, consider substituting the blue painting tape. Easy to tear, holds well, leaves no residue.

I'm having a hard time imagining you all enjoying a cruise when you get yourselves worked up over assuming the worst in people. We have never had a single request about our music. A lot of folks just in this discussion take wireless speakers and going to assume they haven't received any complaints either.

Let's not follow this rabbit trail any farther and get back to what has been an enjoyable discussion.

Burt

I suggest some wireless earphones, otherwise, you are inconsiderate to your fellow passengers whether they have the guts to complain or not.

I am going to sound like such a nasty person, but I have found that people who blast their music so that others can hear their musical choices are not the considerate type that will turn the music down because you ask nicely. If they were considerate people to begin with, they wouldn't be blasting their music. But isn't it nice to just glare at them??? While they smirk, that la de da, you wont say anything any way....

Ambesol. That is what I always pack. Yes you can find a doctor on board, but a dentist???

Edited by marshhawk

I suggest some wireless earphones, otherwise, you are inconsiderate to your fellow passengers whether they have the guts to complain or not.

You folks are just being silly. Your neighbor is likely playing music and you never know it. We have taken our speakers many times without any comments. You make it sounds as if even a persons voice would be offensive.

Burt

You folks are just being silly. Your neighbor is likely playing music and you never know it. We have taken our speakers many times without any comments. You make it sounds as if even a persons voice would be offensive.

Burt

Sorry bud but you're so wrong. If you can hear the speakers, so can the folks on either side of you (at least).

And beyond the issue of not liking "your" music, there's the added insult of the distorted sound quality produced by the vast majority of little blue tooth speakers (perhaps with the exception of something like the JBL Flip 3 at about $90).

Nonetheless, please don't be rude. Get some earphones and a signal splitter so that two of you can listen to that awful _________ (fill in the blank).

Burt

Silly? Hardly. I'm out on my back deck. My neighbour is sitting on her deck 60 feet away. And I can hear her conversing with her friend quite clearly. So yes, if you are on your balcony and playing music on your speakers, your neighbours will hear it. And don't think for a minute that they appreciated the noise just because you didn't receive a complaint. Be a decent and considerate cruiser. Use those earbuds.

And no, I don't find the sound of another person's voice offensive if held to a normal conversational level.

Burt

I totally agree with the others who are asking you to not bring your music unless you bring earphones. Cabin walls are not sound proof. You hear their TV or kid crying but those you only hear for a little time and are expected. Music from someone else usually means it isn't your type of music and when you are out on your balcony you want peace and quiet. When we have been out on the balcony, people usually try to talk quietly so as not to bother the neighbors but music blasting away would be a call to the front desk. It would not work for us if you were next door.

We are not being silly. We want to enjoy our cruise too and you are being selfish if you think your music is okay for others to have to listen to. We all have the right to enjoy our cabin and you are making others put up with your way or you call them names.

Don't like it, don't read it:D

Also just because you don't need or want any of those things doesn't mean someone else might not.

Being ex military I take a few things, just in case, you wouldn't need those either, til the time came!

Im interested, what are those few things?? 😁

I totally agree with the others who are asking you to not bring your music unless you bring earphones. Cabin walls are not sound proof. You hear their TV or kid crying but those you only hear for a little time and are expected. Music from someone else usually means it isn't your type of music and when you are out on your balcony you want peace and quiet. When we have been out on the balcony, people usually try to talk quietly so as not to bother the neighbors but music blasting away would be a call to the front desk. It would not work for us if you were next door.

We are not being silly. We want to enjoy our cruise too and you are being selfish if you think your music is okay for others to have to listen to. We all have the right to enjoy our cabin and you are making others put up with your way or you call them names.

With respect, I not going to consider your request. I have never receive any comments on our music, so do you really think I would take the word of folks who have NEVER heard my music?

You will likely never sail with us, so who are you trying to speak for, our many non-complaining neighbors who have cruised with us?

You are admittingly tolerant of your neighbors conversations, kids play, and tv's, as acceptable noise. But not the music you never heard. And you don't think that reaction is silly?

Before you overreact and over assume when, where and how I or others with music might be (blasting?) our speakers, you first need to address your neighbors conversations, their kids play, their TVs blaring and the captain's announcements. Then I might believe you have a real issue with noise. Until then, the tone of your comments have the appearance of being selfish and hypocritical.

Burt

]With respect' date=' I not going to consider your request. [/u']I have never receive any comments on our music, so do you really think I would take the word of folks who have NEVER heard my music?

You will likely never sail with us, so who are you trying to speak for, our many non-complaining neighbors who have cruised with us?

You are admittingly tolerant of your neighbors conversations, kids play, and tv's, as acceptable noise. But not the music you never heard. And you don't think that reaction is silly?

Before you overreact and over assume when, where and how I or others with music might be (blasting?) our speakers, you first need to address your neighbors conversations, their kids play, their TVs blaring and the captain's announcements. Then I might believe you have a real issue with noise. Until then, the tone of your comments have the appearance of being selfish and hypocritical.

Burt

I did not comment until you said others were being silly. Disrespecting others opinions is what lead me to believe that you would not consider if your neighbors asked you to turn your music down. That may be why no one has had the courage to ask you to turn it down.

I did not comment until you said others were being silly. Disrespecting others opinions is what lead me to believe that you would not consider if your neighbors asked you to turn your music down. That may be why no one has had the courage to ask you to turn it down.

Interesting that you jumped in because you felt I was being disrespectful, yet your response to me was no less disrespectful. Don't you find that odd? Maybe even Silly? Maybe you weren't so much as trying advise those of us who bring music on board as you want to just get even.

Courage? As many have pointed out, they wouldn't hesitate asking the ship crew deal with the noise. The folks here just overreacted to their imagination. You are right, folks say many silly things on the forum, I should have ignored them.

As I have said, a lot of folks bring on board devices that play music, they must be doing something right because it is rarely discussed here.

Burt

I have no reason to worry about "getting even", your words. I was out working on my truck and thought about you. When I go on a cruise I have no problems, I look like one of the brothers on duck dynasty so I rarely get some one telling me what to do. I have had whole lines move over so I can go first but I usually try not to take advantage of my size. However I do not believe that you would feel the way you do if the person next to you was playing their hill billy music out on their balcony and you had to listen to it. I have always tried to live by the thought that if someone treated me the way I was acting would I be offended. You might want to try walking in someone else's shoes before you do just want makes you happy.

To the poster who mentioned TV noise from the next room: Did you call Guest Services and ask for someone go and tell the guest to turn it down/off? What would be different from TV noise/kids screaming in the room to music playing a a room?

I do understand the outside noise (be it people talking on the balcony, to a kid splashing in a brought-aboard plastic tub, to music from a speaker), but it sounds like the discussion is getting morphed into wanting total silence IN cabin also.

I bring my mini Jambox on all my trips. Use it to listen to music in my room. I also use it at home on my patio. The house on one side is a 2nd home (rarely used), the other has a family with 3 energetic, screamer kids, the back of the house faces open space. No complaints yet - and we have a neighborhood "compliance police" who even report barking dogs to our HOA...

The issue with you, and the others who replied on the music is the overreacted assumption that it will be loud and offensive. But nobody is getting complaints. So, they must be doing it in such a way that it isn't offensive.

But, in yours, and theirs silly response, you and they assumed the worst and started advising accordingly. You are spending too much time concerned about those things you nothing about. Think best of your fellow man instead of the worst. And ask before judging because I know that in the end, you will agree with me and glad for it because you can play your hillbilly music to your hearts content.

Burt

Beachdude,

You seem pretty sure that if no one complains, you're in the good. Well, on deck, I would simply find another place to sit. However, on my balcony, I can't move away.

So based on your comment "Think best of your fellow man instead of the worst." I will assume that when you want to play music in such a close environment you would first consider your fellow man. And since you are determined to play your music through speakers, perhaps it is on you to ask your neighbors first instead of having them have to complain if bothered.

• 1 month later...

We bring very little "extras" and pack light.

We do bring (beyond the obvious items):

Binoculars (mine are powerful and lightweight Nikon from LLBean.)

Small pack of anti bacterial wipes (I wipe down the remote, phone, toilet etc.when we first into our cabin.)

Small First Aid kit

Small Flameless Candle

After taking so many cruises, I've found that we didn't need so many of the item listed here. Brought and never used Duct Tape, pop up hamper,towel clips, magnets, plastic over the door shoe thingy,etc.

But, to each his own!

Edited by Donder1

What are some items on your cruise packing list that most people would not know to bring on a cruise?

Here are a couple of items we learned to bring with us:

-Tervis cups/lids for the pool

-A hole punch for our ship card/lanyard

-Magnetic Board to leave notes for our friends

-Wireless speaker to have in our cabin

-Command hooks-we always need room to hang items

-Ziploc bags-good for wet clothes on port days

Can anyone add to these? I like to update our packing list.

My wife and I always bring along a couple of cloths line pens(either the wooden or plastic) because we always get a balcony and can never get the drapes too close completely, leaving a two inch gap which no matter WHERE I'm sleeping, shines in my eyes. We also take 2 small plastic 2AA battery flashlights (Just in case of an emergency) and there's no power for lights in the early morning. Also a medium zip lock medical bag (with aspirin, antiacid tablets. You know how we 'older' travelers are :( Just some suggestions. My motto: Better to have it and NOT need it than the other way around.

Mac

Edited by SmoothFlying
unclear wording

We pack light ( 1- 19" backpack each). Here are some of the more valuable items inside :

4-6 various sized one zip bags

1 kitchen trash bag (dirty clothes on the way home, keeps my bag nice)

$1 store battery tea light x1

$1 store rain poncho

Poo-Pourri (travel size, won't travel without it)

A wrist coil for my S&S when I don't have pockets.

An IceBreakers mint container with a small amount of every OTC we may need. (Peel off the top sticker and use a sharpie to write the name/dosage of each)

Depending upon our cabin, itinerary and our plans :

Insect repellant wipes

Hammock (about the size of a grapefruit)

Snorkel gear (good gear is worth the real estate in my bag)

Folding tote if I plan to shop in port (rare)

Small Maglite (if I'm in an inside cabin or lower deck)

Flashlight, small first-aid stuff including OTC medicines, deodorizer for bathroom. Snacks for late-night munchies (1 small bag of pretzels should last all week), playing cards, puzzle book, Kindle app on my tablet with a couple of books downloaded, MP3 player. Also, my own pillow. It's a neck roll and the only pillow I've used for years.

I actually always have this stuff, whether it's a cruise or some other trip.

Edited by Blondilu
add

brought a very nice long heavy duty extension cord and a gallon of distilled water

Nice of them considering they make thousands of gallons of distilled water every day. They can tap some before the part that adds minerals for taste.

Less common things we bring:

• If we have a balcony we bring cheap plastic heavy duty spring wood clamps for pinning hand-wash items to chairs on sea days.

Flashlights - yes but one is a head strap type in case of emergency or power outage to keep hands free. The other is for nightstand just like at home.

2 tall kitchen garbage bags for dirty clothes in suitcase.

Nook pre-loaded with two books - hard to download during cruise.

For Alaska a copy if the Alaska Gazetteer map book.

European pin style electric plug adapter for electronics that can do 220v.

Journal book if not taking laptop for daily log.

Regular binoculars and compact binoculars.

Compact umbrella for places with more rain than Seattle.

Our three-ring zippered binder for all the port info we've gathered and cruise documents.

Edited by Sequim88