Slacks or sorts/capris - Med cruise in August

Cruise2End

Trying to pack. I wouldn't usually wear sorts or capris on the ship as you have A/C. However, would you wear them when doing shore excursions? DH says no due to visiting churches and things, you would never wear shorts or capris in Europe?? Anyone with recent experience on what's appropriate? TIA

Trying to pack. I wouldn't usually wear sorts or capris on the ship as you have A/C. However, would you wear them when doing shore excursions? DH says no due to visiting churches and things, you would never wear shorts or capris in Europe?? Anyone with recent experience on what's appropriate? TIA

Capris maybe but never shorts. To visit churches you need to have arms and legs covered.

Yes to capris if in a city, visiting museums and churches. Shorts maybe if doing a beach/country walk excursion. Depending upon the ports I might also take a shawl or pashmina with me in case I need to cover my head and shoulders for a temple or mosque.

Good advice. Going a bit further, you might consider a long skirt. Something like a crinkle or gauze material. Scrunches up easily. Could do for dinner with some sparkle. Good sandals instead of sneakers for a great look. Check out Allrounders as an upgrade, made by Mephisto but closer to $150.00. Of course Merrell and Tevis deserve a close look.

We did a 14 day Med cruise and loved it. Have a wonderful time.

Blessings

As above, most religious locations require that you have covered knees and shoulders/upper arms. A lightweight scarf/shawl is an excellent idea as more rarely places require a head covering.

Capris are fine. Shorts won't do it for many excursions. A long skirt (as above) is a great idea. You will wear it with sneakers for walking though.

I Was over there last sept, do not wear shorts. They are not considered acceptable dress by the locals. Some areas actually find them offensive. Do carry a shaw in case you visit a church and have to cover your arms, some places require women to cover their head too.

Capris maybe but never shorts. To visit churches you need to have arms and legs covered.

Actually it is shoulders and knees. You don't need long sleeves, and a woman wouldn't need full length pants. Just covered to below the knee.

Europeans don't consider shorts appropriate wear except at beach or lake resorts.

Incidentally, in hot weather you will feel much cooler wearing loose clothing ie loose pants rather than tight-fitting pants.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

You can wear shorts, but they have to extend at least to your knees or you will not be allowed into some religious places. When we were there last time, I noticed a woman wearing shorter shorts, but she had this long scarf thingy that she would tie around her waist which extended past her knees that she would use in religions places. It can be quite warm there at that time.

I Was over there last sept, do not wear shorts. They are not considered acceptable dress by the locals. Some areas actually find them offensive. Do carry a shaw in case you visit a church and have to cover your arms, some places require women to cover their head too.

The last three times we have been there, we wore shorts, and there were no issues whatsoever. Several Europeans were also wearing shorts.

I like to wear Jockey long line underwear when I wear a dress or skirt to prevent chafing in the heat. Any major US department store has them, they are made of the usual lightweight stretchy underwear material, so not hot or restrictive. Other than that, I always choose capris over shorts when off ship.

I have to say, I find this thread bizarre, full of inaccurate generalisations.

It is true that in Churches and Mosques there are certain dress codes that mean shorts are often not allowed for both men and women (probably including capri trousers for women - longer dresses are often requested) and it is best to research individual sites such as the Vatican etc.

I am a European from UK and I have visited most of western of Europe. In towns and cities I see locals and visitors wearing skirts, dresses, trousers, shorts and capri trousers out in the streets, no issue. Younger ladies can also be seen wearing 'hot pants' - again no issue. but never in a church of course.

And just for the record, I have checked with my wife and she has packed summer dresses, trousers, shorts and capri trousers for our visit to ports across Italy, Greece and Turkey.

And us Europeans don't get offended when seeing people in shorts on a cruise ship (LOL).

So apart from showing respect by following the dress code for religious sites (which I presume is the same in the US?), where does this view of ultra conservatism in Europe come from?

Just check out sites you will visit before you pack and then enjoy yourself. You will love Europe!

It is true that in Churches and Mosques there are certain dress codes that mean shorts are often not allowed for both men and women (probably including capri trousers for women - longer dresses are often requested) and it is best to research individual sites such as the Vatican etc.

I am a European from UK and I have visited most of western of Europe. In towns and cities I see locals and visitors wearing skirts, dresses, trousers, shorts and capri trousers out in the streets, no issue. Younger ladies can also be seen wearing 'hot pants' - again no issue. but never in a church of course.

And just for the record, I have checked with my wife and she has packed summer dresses, trousers, shorts and capri trousers for our visit to ports across Italy, Greece and Turkey.

And us Europeans don't get offended when seeing people in shorts on a cruise ship (LOL).

So apart from showing respect by following the dress code for religious sites (which I presume is the same in the US?), where does this view of ultra conservatism in Europe come from?

Just check out sites you will visit before you pack and then enjoy yourself. You will love Europe!

Just an addition to the common sense of the above, where say a church, synagogue or mosque is a tourist focal point, there is usually an attendant with covers to borrow so as to respect their beliefs. Blessings abound.

Well I hate to say it, but you may see shorts in churches in the US depending on location and local cultures. I live in the Sonoran Desert, where 100+ degrees are pretty much an everyday occurrence in the summer months, so I do see shorts here. I personally don't feel comfortable wearing either shorts or capris to church here. However I'm going from an air-conditioned car into an air-conditioned church - not just strolling around the church for a short time combined with 6-8 hours of outdoor walking! My husband spent a year in Rome, and says the Europeans would wear slacks or dresses, but that was also 40 years ago...LOL and some things can change over a period of time. Since I always have sleeves and wear capris (the shorts are in DH's realm), sounds like I should be fine.... Again, thanks for everyone's input!!

Edited by Cruise2End

I think the no shorts in Europe thing is something of an urban myth. Back when I did a Med cruise (which was several years ago now, although the Baltic one was more recent), the temperatures that year were very high, mid to upper 90s and over 100 in Malta. Pretty much everywhere you went, people wore shorts. And it's not just tourists that were wearing shorts. Heck, we brought long pants to slide on for some churches, and in Malta, the guy watching the door at the one church just kinda laughed when he saw that we were going to slide pants on, and just told us to come on in (along with everyone else that was wearing shorts). It may have been true at one point, but these days, it's generally not a problem.

Now, that said, there are a couple of exceptions. If your visiting mosques, you will be expected to cover up, although many seem to provide a coverup you can borrow, but that will depend on where you're at. (And of course, right now you're not likely visiting mosques in istanbul.) St Peters at the Vatican was also the other major exception. They have people actively checking for clothing, although even then I found the policing to be somewhat arbitrary (that said, if they say no to what you're wearing, then you don't get much choice, so plan accordingly).

I have to agree with all of the above, whether it's a cruise stop or a European city, to cover all eventualities pack a fine ( not see through) sarong or large scarf in your bag. This can be used in so many ways and not just to cover up you shoulders and knees! Last August when I visited the Vatican I had Capri trousers and a t-shirt on as did a lot of women, I would dress for the weather which is going to be very warm. Enjoy!

On land, I wore sun dresses and shorts every day because it's sweltering. On days we would be touring churches, I wore a long dress. On the ship, it was cool indoors much of the time and even outdoors in the evenings, so I'd put leggings on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app