Another guaranteed stateroom question.

Nimbet

We are leaving on 1 August to Alaska on the HAL Maasdam. For the first time ever I booked a guaranteed outside because of the great price for 14 days. Since I was going to book an HH (fully obstructed) I decided that guaranteed for the same price gave me a chance for something better. No room assignment yet but I see the cruise is completely booked for all category levels (first time I have seen fully booked). My question is since it is fully booked does that give me a better chance for an upgrade or better chance to get the fully obstructed. Also since fully booked should I see a room assignment soon.

Since I'm asking so many questions has anyone been on this ship and how did you like it? Food? I did notice the beverage packages seem to be higher than other ships I have been the on.

Thank you.

It depends. They may have saved enough Cat. HH cabins for everyone who booked one. They may be waiting for any last-minute cancellations to determine when to assign your cabin. You will find out sometime. It could be soon or it could be when you show up at the pier. That happens less frequently nowadays since people are able to sign on to see if they've been assigned a cabin.

It's pretty rare in my experience to get an assignment more than 11 days out whether the ship is fully booked or not.

We've been on all four S-class ships (two are now gone) and the Maasdam was our favorite.

Enjoy AK!

The Maasdam is my very favorite HAL ship. My last cruise I booked an HH, and the ship turned out to be fully booked. I got my cabin 3 days before we sailed, and I wound up in a C cabin smack dab in the middle of the ship (Oosterdam)-however, I would have preferred my HH on the promenade than my C on A deck.

In doing GUARs with HAL over many years, we have found that an HH GUAR generally gets a higher assignment and the HHs are assigned to the Inside GUARs.

Of course, not a hard and fast rule, but you should have a good chance.

Whether the ship is "fully booked" or not won't matter. GUARS are part of the "fullness".

I suspect that the price you pay likely has something to do with your assignment. The pax paying $1000 will not do as well as one paying $1200. This has been our experience much of the time.

You may not get assigned until July 25 or so, but please come back and let us know how you did!

HH cabins are considered by HAL to be in a lower price category than Outside View cabins, IIRC. If you receive an upgrade, in my opinion it would not be to any HH cabin. It could be to a Cat C on the Lower Promenade, however, which would be nice.

We have booked HH's an number of times because they provide easy access to the outside. They are a good value, in our opinion.

Have a great cruise!

There are no C's on the L.P. deck, and IMHO it's not likely that a HH gty would be assigned to a CA (Lanai) on the L.P.

I have a CA cabin on that sailing and the category has been sold out for several months.

I have only sailed on the Maasdam once before but I loved the ship. It would be my 2nd all time favorite (after the previous Noordam) and my favorite in the current fleet.

Well I got my cabin assignment with no upgrade. Deck 6 HH 301 fully obstructed. Does anyone know what I will be looking at? A wall? From what I can see on a picture of the ship it won't be a lifeboat. Suspect a large, white, steel wall. I do like that it is the end stateroom and Deck 6.

Well I got my cabin assignment with no upgrade. Deck 6 HH 301 fully obstructed. Does anyone know what I will be looking at? A wall? From what I can see on a picture of the ship it won't be a lifeboat. Suspect a large, white, steel wall. I do like that it is the end stateroom and Deck 6.

You will be looking at a wall but you will get light through the window and very easy access to the lower promenade deck (the biggest balcony on the ship). This is a wonderful itinerary. See you on board!

You will be looking at a wall but you will get light through the window and very easy access to the lower promenade deck (the biggest balcony on the ship). This is a wonderful itinerary. See you on board!

Thank you for the info. Not long to go now.