Before I book the Zuiderdam

baggal

We are considering a partial Panama Canal transit on the Zuiderdam in February 2017. We were last on the Zuiderdam in 2008.

Since then, have they added cabanas to the pool deck like there are on the Eurodam? I hope not. The thought of a 10 day cruise with an overcrowded pool deck is very unappealing.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
We had the BEST time on our partial Panama Transit on the Zuiderdam. Here is a short video to get you pumped !!

Book it and have an amazing time!

Thank you for sharing that. Great video. Seeing you so happy made me smile.

We had the BEST time on our partial Panama Transit on the Zuiderdam. Here is a short video to get you pumped !!

Cool video! Can't beat the Zac Brown Band, well maybe the BB King Band onboard can ;)

We did book - taking a Signature Suite with the Explore 4 package. As many have advised, we compared the per day cost to Princess in a balcony. HAL actually came out to be less expensive!

The Vista ship Signature suite in our opinion is the best cabin value out there. Breathing room to unpack and relax. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for the cool video Charlene. We are booked on Zuiderdam this coming winter for the 10-day partial canal cruise. I noticed you did the Tortuguero Canal excursion and we're considering it as well - was that through HAL and what are your thoughts on it?

From time to time over the past years I've read on these boards that the Zuiderdam has had air conditioning problems and also toilet problems. Can anyone tell me if either or both of these issues has been permanently resolved or should I anticipate possibly running into one or both of these next February when I do the partial transit. Thanks in advance for any input! 😀

From time to time over the past years I've read on these boards that the Zuiderdam has had air conditioning problems and also toilet problems. Can anyone tell me if either or both of these issues has been permanently resolved or should I anticipate possibly running into one or both of these next February when I do the partial transit. Thanks in advance for any input! 😀

All ships on all cruise lines from time to time report similar problems. Biggest plumbing problems come from passenger ignoring the warnings not to dispose improper items down the plumbing system which cause back-ups elsewhere on the same line. A ships engineer reported here just recently that everything from underwear, bathing suits to wet wipes goes down the plumbing systems causing havoc for others in cabins on the same lines.

So yes, one can "expect" the occasional plumbing problem on ships - lots of people living together in closed system. One violator can make it tough on a lot of other people.

Same with the A/C, some passengers insist on leaving balcony doors open contrary to express signs asking them not to. This also in this closed system cause problems for other passengers.

Additionally, when traveling near the equator, like the Panama Canal, there will be an over-stressing of any A/C system simply due to the outside temperatures. They ask passengers to keep curtains closed when leaving their cabins so that helps others too by reducing the daytime demands on the system.

So yes, again in this closed system that depends upon mutual passenger cooperation, there can be the occasional mishap in the A/C systems too.

Several years ago there were reports of aft cabins on the Zuiderdam having A/C issues during a Panama run but there have been been recent reports.

I have always held if one goes to the tropics, one will be in the tropics which is part of the expected travel experience. No guarantee one will get a 100% room temperature northern climate experience on this route. Order a cool drink, pull out your fan and languidly enjoy the change of scene may be the best way to approach any glitches you run into.

Thanks for the response. I've experienced people putting who knows what in the toilets so a whole section of the ship toilets don't work! I do get that. A bit worried about the a/c. I know it can't be optimal, hopefully just comfortable. Thanks again.

Thanks for the response. I've experienced people putting who knows what in the toilets so a whole section of the ship toilets don't work! I do get that. A bit worried about the a/c. I know it can't be optimal, hopefully just comfortable. Thanks again.

For a few days it might not be comfortable. But the ship will move on to more accommodating climes in short order. BTW, I have to be prepared to take my own advice as I soon head to the Panama region on a ship that has also had a string of A/C complaints in the past too. I am prepared to be uncomfortable for a while and will be surprised if we are not. It helps to know this up front.

I remember it being blistering hot in Cartegena Columbia, which was such a pretty old city to visit but punishing in the heat. Then when I reminded myself where it was on the map, I realized the heat simply came with the location. Averages close to 90 degrees year round - with humidity. (Well, duh?... as they say).

Edited by OlsSalt

The Vista ship Signature suite in our opinion is the best cabin value out there. Breathing room to unpack and relax. Enjoy your cruise.

I second that! We also had the Signature Suite and Explore 4 on the Panama Canal, Zuiderdam cruise. Great cabin, and the Explore 4 is icing on the cake. OP: Enjoy your cruise!

A major cause of the Zuiderdam A/C problem is leaving your curtains open while in the Panama Canal area. The direct sunlight into the stateroom heats the furniture and the A/C just cannot overcome that. Keeping the curtains closed really made a difference once our Room Steward enlightened us.

We will be returning to the PC again this November on the Zuiderdam.

Thank you for the cool video Charlene. We are booked on Zuiderdam this coming winter for the 10-day partial canal cruise. I noticed you did the Tortuguero Canal excursion and we're considering it as well - was that through HAL and what are your thoughts on it?

We enjoyed that tour alot! We used private company Syl Travel Day Tours 4 hr tour Tortuguero Canals and Banana plantation for only $55pp. Look up TripAdvisor and Charlene351 for all my reviews for that cruise and glad you liked the video!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my memory is ok , Zuiderdam has some absolutely great balconies aft , some with two regular chairs and two beach chairs ( loungers). No crowd ! ( but no pool ;)

Large verandahs with the aft staterooms. No pools on the verandahs but a large one on the aft Lido Deck 9.