Blu question

TroubleT

Here is a few simple questions for those who has Blu dining experience.

We are aware of "free style dining" concept for Blu. But we don't like tables for 2 or being at different table every night.

Is it possible to request/reserve the same time at Blu so we could avoid waiting and also could be at the same table - maybe with different guests but at least with the same waiting staff?

If the menu in MDR looks better - can we have dinner in MDR instead of Blu?

Thanks!

There are tables for more than 2 in Blu, but typically they are for groups of more than 2 that show up together. You can't reserve a table but if you let the maitre'd know what you want and you show up at dinner the same time every night they might accommodate you.

As to eating in the MDR, yes you can do that but again, arrange it with the maitre'd.

I should add that we did end up at a table for 5 once when Blu was extremely busy and the maitre'd asked us if we wanted to share a table.

Edited by WEGL81

To add on to what WEGL81 said, you shouldn't expect to be put together with other people. You will be put in a table for two unless you arrange to eat with other passengers or, rarely, may find it possible to be seated with others when there are vacant seats at a bigger table. That said, the tables for two are close together and we usually enjoy chatting with our neighboring tables. You can ask for the same wait staff, but sometimes you may have to wait to be seated in their service area. It's unlikely you will get same table every night. We have cruised in Aqua Class often, and we always try to eat at a non-prime time. Rarely have we had to wait to be seated. And, as WEGL81 says, you need to arrange to go to the MDR, usually not a problem, but you need to arrange it and let the Blu maitre'd know. Your assigned dining room is Blu and you don't get guaranteed seating in the MDR.

WE sailed Aqua on Infinity. I believe there were three tables for more than two in the Blu dining room. Early on the cruise we arrived one night a little later than our usual, and most of the two tops were full. When we agreed to share a table, the maitre d' was delighted. As were we, since we prefer traditional dining at a large table. We tried every night after that to show up at the right time to share a large table. EM

Thank you so much for your quick response! :)

Well, I already don't like Blu and looks like it will be our first and last AC and Blu experience... :-(

Give it a chance! :) it might not fit with your preconception of how it would work, but there are legions of folks who love how Blu works. Hope you will too. We do and will never go back to the MDR. Happy cruising :D

We just sailed on the Solstice. We were in Aqua Class to celebrate our anniversary. We weren't sure if we would like Blu and loved it! Enjoyed the food and service. Loved the tables for two and met several different couples that were sitting next to us because of the dining room set up. Will sail Aqua again, because of the good experience.

We also love Blu. Several cruises ago we had our first aqua cabin and I don't see us ever going back to the MDR. Last cruise we were upgraded to a sky suite and ate in Luminea. That was also wonderful. Next up the Silhouette in August and back to Blu.

We are early dinner eaters so we arrived at 5:50 - 6:00 every night and never had to wait. We had the same table, same servers. The other tables are so close that you can have conversations with others no problem. You can change locations or keep the same area

We are early dinner eaters so we arrived at 5:50 - 6:00 every night and never had to wait. We had the same table, same servers. The other tables are so close that you can have conversations with others no problem. You can change locations or keep the same area

Our experience exactly!

There will either be four or six in our party most nights. Will that be a problem on an S class ship?

No. The larger tables in Blu can accommodate that just fine- you can always go see the maître d' on the first night upon boarding- tell him/her your plans. The larger groups tend to be put in the near left corner where the room opens up behind the colored circle artwork/devider wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that I've read you can order food from the MDR when dining in Blu. Is this correct?

No, it's not generally offered in Blu. We have, from time to time, been able to get a dish that is on the MDR menu when there is absolutely nothing on Blu menu that we wanted. However, this depends both on your waiter and the manager of Blu. Some have reported getting MDR food frequently in Blu, but that has not been our experience in 9 cruises in Aqua Class. We have asked politely and been told no more times than we have been told yes.

I thought that I've read you can order food from the MDR when dining in Blu. Is this correct?

Untrue during our experience. Why would you want to? [emoji15] Blu's 'thing' is to serve dishes in lighter/healthier (but not rabbit food) sauces, etc.

Edited by bob221b1

We have never been able to order main courses from the MDR while dining in Blu. So we will opt for a specialty restaurant or eat in the buffet if we do not like what is on the men for a night.. Lately, there have been dinner theme nights in the buffet which we have really enjoyed.

I guess it differs from ship to ship. We were on Silhouette last year and checked both the MDR and Blue dinner menus. There were two occasions that we didn't find anything on the Blu menu that appealed, so we were allowed to order an entre from the MDR menu.

Here is a few simple questions for those who has Blu dining experience.

We are aware of "free style dining" concept for Blu. But we don't like tables for 2 or being at different table every night.

Is it possible to request/reserve the same time at Blu so we could avoid waiting and also could be at the same table - maybe with different guests but at least with the same waiting staff?

If the menu in MDR looks better - can we have dinner in MDR instead of Blu?

Thanks!

TroubleT, I'm confused by your saying "you don't like tables for 2". How many are in your party? If 2, then I'm afraid that will be where you sit - the vast majority of the tables in Blu are for 2, and has been stated close enough together that you can chat with your neighbors - or not. You can tell right away who wants to chat and who doesn't, and we've always respected that. And they aren't going to seat you at a 4-top and let two seats go to waste every night.

This past time we also had the same servers every night - it just so happened we had the same ones the first few nights, so we then would say to the M'D "can we sit at so and so's station" and after that it was automatic.

But we REALLY liked having different people next to us every night - to us it was the best of both worlds, our own little table and the ability to have the camaraderie of the MDR.

And if you don't want to talk, an icy stare when the party next to you makes an overture will be all you need to do.

Untrue during our experience. Why would you want to? [emoji15] Blu's 'thing' is to serve dishes in lighter/healthier (but not rabbit food) sauces, etc.

Just asking in case there is something on the MDR menu that looks better than the Blu menu.

Thanks all for your informative posts! It is really appreciated!

One more question: How does it work in Blu on Formal/Evening Chic nights?

We like to dress up for dinners and I would hate to go casual on Evening Chic.

I believe over time Blu has increased the items from the MDR that you can get in Blu; shrimp cocktail, French onion soup, Caesar salad, French fries. We have never gotten a entree from the MDR menu in Blu.

I was explained to us once that on S class ships the Blu kitchen is close to Blu and the MDR is on a different deck and area.

TroubleT, I'm confused by your saying "you don't like tables for 2". How many are in your party? If 2, then I'm afraid that will be where you sit - the vast majority of the tables in Blu are for 2, and has been stated close enough together that you can chat with your neighbors - or not. You can tell right away who wants to chat and who doesn't, and we've always respected that. And they aren't going to seat you at a 4-top and let two seats go to waste every night.

This past time we also had the same servers every night - it just so happened we had the same ones the first few nights, so we then would say to the M'D "can we sit at so and so's station" and after that it was automatic.

But we REALLY liked having different people next to us every night - to us it was the best of both worlds, our own little table and the ability to have the camaraderie of the MDR.

And if you don't want to talk, an icy stare when the party next to you makes an overture will be all you need to do.

Hi warmwinds, :-)

What I meant was: we like bigger tables. And we always request table for 8-10 when we dine in MDR. Please don't misunderstand me - I love my DH. But I will probably kill him if I will be stuck with him at table for 2 for 14 nights. :-)