Can help with Q for Oslo if someone needs it;)

Thank you, that's helpful with the labels for the buildings. On Google Maps they are not all labeled so I was having trouble figuring out which one exactly was the art stable. (I am assuming it's the one labeled Stallbygningen because Google Translate tells me that means "stable block" and the change to the art gallery did not happen until 2017.)

On Google Maps, the art stable is marked as "Dronning Sonja KunstStall": https://goo.gl/maps/FZzLhe4UJpP2

The sculpture garden doesn't really show up on Google Maps, because it's part of the existing park. I'm not sure if they're all in the same small area, but the fox and rabbit (and I believe the rainbow) are easily spotted in the area near Wergelandsveien from the path that runs from the palace to the northern corner of the park (a popular thoroughfare for local foot traffic). I'm not sure where the fourth piece is (since it's not as brightly colored), but I would expect it's in the same area.

• 3 years later...

Fingers crossed that there will be a cruise season in Norway in 2022 for international travellers!

Hurtigruten is allowed to sail for people in Norway. You must have a negative PCR-test before boarding and they only sail at low capacity.

Coastal cruises in Norway will happen in July/august on Sea Dream. 

If someone wonder how entry to Norway is for the moment, follow the link to the Norwegian Government. It will show status on who's allowed to enter Norway and restrictions. 

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/topics/koronavirus-covid-19/travel-to-norway/id2791503/

7 minutes ago, Norwaylady said:

Fingers crossed that there will be a cruise season in Norway in 2022 for international travellers!

Hurtigruten is allowed to sail for people in Norway. You must have a negative PCR-test before boarding and they only sail at low capacity.

Coastal cruises in Norway will happen in July/august on Sea Dream. 

If someone wonder how entry to Norway is for the moment, follow the link to the Norwegian Government. It will show status on who's allowed to enter Norway and restrictions. 

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/topics/koronavirus-covid-19/travel-to-norway/id2791503/

just booked my 8th 12 day return trip yesterday for october  on HUrtigruten Polarlys

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ericfromri said:

just booked my 8th 12 day return trip yesterday for october  on HUrtigruten Polarlys

Crossing finger & toes!

I see that your preferred cruise line is RCL😊 Hurtigruten is very different, so glad that you like it! (its not to everybody's taste;)

Depending on the situation, we are considering a Hurtigruten cruise also this autumn;) 

Last 12 day returtrip on Hurtigruten for us was march 2011... But we see them frequently and visit them during longer stops when we have the chance... 50% of us is from the north of Norway. So we tend to bump into Hurtigruten😂 

We always do Med in October, but its not looking the best due to travel restrictions for returning into Norway..... So planning vice its better to stay local this year;) 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Norwaylady said:

Crossing finger & toes!

I see that your preferred cruise line is RCL😊 Hurtigruten is very different, so glad that you like it! (its not to everybody's taste;)

Depending on the situation, we are considering a Hurtigruten cruise also this autumn;) 

Last 12 day returtrip on Hurtigruten for us was march 2011... But we see them frequently and visit them during longer stops when we have the chance... 50% of us is from the north of Norway. So we tend to bump into Hurtigruten😂 

We always do Med in October, but its not looking the best due to travel restrictions for returning into Norway..... So planning vice its better to stay local this year;) 

i love Hurtigruten.   my parents are from Bodo

Edited by ericfromri
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

Depending on the situation, we are considering a Hurtigruten cruise also this autumn;

Cancelled a MS Lofoten voyage last year due to COVID- hope the situation soon will normalize.

I actually considering a Havila Voyage once they get their ships operationally - hopefully by end of September. Might be time for Northern Lights

Raftsundet January 2019

6FB4419A-E286-4883-B86C-4214476BF122.png

• Like 1

1) We will be in Olso  Thursday, June 2 on the Princess Sky.

Does the Hop On Hop Off have a stop near the dock?

2) We will be in Copenhagen Tuesday, May 31 on the Princess Sky 

Does the Hop On Hop Off have a stop at the dock?

If there is a stop, is there more than one HOHO company for the city?

1 hour ago, phabric said:

1) We will be in Olso  Thursday, June 2 on the Princess Sky.

Does the Hop On Hop Off have a stop near the dock?

Hello

Since you are cruising in 2022, things can change. But they will by 99% keep the same route. 

https://hopon.no/wp-content/uploads/HopOn-brochure-Oslo-2021.pdf

They have stops on all locations were you can dock. 

https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/city-sightseeing-oslo/191409/?lang=primary

If someone needs tips for what you can do in Oslo

https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/eastern-norway/oslo/

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I would suggest you post this as a separate topic, since this one is specific to questions about Oslo. What I will say is there are 3 docking areas in Copenhagen; it would help if you knew where  you are docking.

2 hours ago, phabric said:

As suggested ask the question in separate topic or ‘Wonderful Copenhagen 2020’ topic .

Since many tours might be suspended right now you should ask closer to your departure. Include dock if known.

There are three operators - RED Sightseeing, City Sightseeing Copenhagen, and Stromma - serving the cruise ports. If your cruise ship docks in the northern harbor (Oceankaj) off the route, a free cruise ship shuttle is available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 11:29 AM, Norwaylady said:

Just a heads up to all of you!

If you are cruising to Oslo in 2022 or a few years onwards….
The Viking Ship Museum closes for refurbishment this fall, and remains closed throughout the five-year construction period.

https://www.khm.uio.no/english/news/welcome-back.html

Oh phooey, I just came to this forum for the precise purpose of finding out how to get there from the ship.  We'll be there next July, 2022.  I remember the museum from the late 70's and it was awesome--I so looked forward to seeing it again.

I'm afraid this will mean we'll be stuck doing a bus tour, since a lot of walking is not an option (otherwise I'd do the outdoor Cultural History Museum, which I also loved.)

Sounds like if it's going to take 5 years that they are doing major work on the ship itself?

Thanks for the heads-up, and thanks for maintaining this thread!

On 7/24/2021 at 9:40 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Sounds like if it's going to take 5 years that they are doing major work on the ship itself?

Thanks for the heads-up, and thanks for maintaining this thread!

The Norsk Folkemuseum, will be open as usual;) It’s only the Vikingship museum that will be closed due to renovation and construction of a larger museum. So all other museums at Bygdø will be open. 

And hopefully as planned the new Munch museum will open 22.October 2021. 

https://www.munchmuseet.no/en/

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings! I will be in Oslo on May 5. I am interested in doing the zip line at Holmenkollen. This year the ski museum (and presumably the zip line) didn’t open until June 19. That is likely later than usual due to the pandemic, but I wondered if it normally would be open as early as May 5? Of course we don’t know how “normal” 2022 will be, but I am trying to determine if the zip line is even a possibility that early in the year, or if I should focus my plans elsewhere.

thanks,

Mo

15 hours ago, Mo Jito said:

Greetings! I will be in Oslo on May 5. I am interested in doing the zip line at Holmenkollen. This year the ski museum (and presumably the zip line) didn’t open until June 19. That is likely later than usual due to the pandemic, but I wondered if it normally would be open as early as May 5? Of course we don’t know how “normal” 2022 will be, but I am trying to determine if the zip line is even a possibility that early in the year, or if I should focus my plans elsewhere.

thanks,

Mo

5 May is quite early for a lot of summer-season activities, so I’m not sure they’d be open yet. I’ve seen some other sites mention a late-May opening, but your best bet is probably to drop them an email and ask.

https://www.kollensvevet.no/apningstider#contact

• 4 months later...

@Norwaylady & @kaisatsu

Happy New Year.

Am excited that we're heading for our Northern Lights trip in Oct 2022 (after cancellation and rebookings). 

Am wondering if the Northern lights requires travel far from the port to view ? If we can do it by ourselves or book a local tour ? Places covered includes:

Stavanger, Norway (10:00am – 6:00pm)
Tromso, Norway (9:00am - 11pm)
Alta, Norway (morning ? - overnight - next day 11:pm)  
Lofoten Islands (gravdal), Norway (8:00am – 11:00pm)
Alesund, Norway (8:00am – 5:00pm)

Suggestions & recommendations appreciated. There may be a few others in the roll-call that may be interested in joining the private tour too. 🙂

Thank you very much 

2 hours ago, JimChar said:

Suggestions & recommendations appreciated.

You will primarily be able to see the northern lights within the Arctic Circle - in this case Tromsø, Alta and Lofoten (Gravdal).  The chances of seeing the northern lights depend on whether there are visible northern lights that night and whether the sky is clear without too many clouds.

The Northern Lights are most often seen in the period from 9 pm to 3 am

If the primary purpose is to see the northern lights I would recommend an excursion in Alta where the ship is staying overnight.  An excursion provides more flexibility if cloudy as you can drive to an area where there are better opportunities to see the northern lights - no difference whether you choose private or ship excursion but arrange well in advance.  Available excursions are limited and they are not available on the day at the  pier.

Besides Alta, it should be possible to see the Northern Lights from the ship in Tromsø and Lofoten. Since the ship sails at 11pm, it is not realistic to arrange excursions ashore to see the northern lights - most northern lights I have seen are from ships - including Lofoten when sailing along the Norwegian coast.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree completely with hallasm. Book an excursion when you have an overnight, because they know the area and will try their hardest to find a spot without cloud cover if it’s overcast. In any of the ports under the Aurora band, it’s fully possible to see the lights anywhere, but if it’s cloudy, you’re out of luck. If it’s a weak display, you’ll be best served finding a darker area with low light pollution.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. We have just booked a Cruise leaving from Oslo on Norwegian Dawn. The Cruise leaves on 16 June 2024. I know it is a ways off but I have a couple of questions to help me plan. 

I wondered where NCL usually docks? I also wondered if there were  recommended hotels near the dock? We plan to fly into Oslo the day before. Any info would be appreciated. 

Thanks, Julie

• 3 months later...
On 6/12/2022 at 11:56 AM, duquephart said:

Anything to say about Engebret Cafe?

They have a charming building and a really nice location. Its very historic. 

Recommend that you book a table. 

Please notice that they have summer closed from 9 of July to 2 of august. 

On 2/16/2022 at 1:29 AM, jrmende63 said:

Hello. We have just booked a Cruise leaving from Oslo on Norwegian Dawn. The Cruise leaves on 16 June 2024. I know it is a ways off but I have a couple of questions to help me plan. 

I wondered where NCL usually docks? I also wondered if there were  recommended hotels near the dock? We plan to fly into Oslo the day before. Any info would be appreciated. 

Thanks, Julie

Its to early to say were it will dock. 

But they can dock at all locations.

SAK, Søndre Akershus Kai

FiL, Filipstad

ViP, Vippetangen

REV, Revierkaia

I will attache the arrival/cruise list for 2022. So you can see were they dock this year.

https://www.oslohavn.no/globalassets/oslo-havn/dokumenter/cruise/cruise-liste-10.-juni-2022.pdf

Hotels in Oslo City center is my recommendation. Depending on how much you will spend, you have lots of options. Is it primarily for sleeping or staying inside?  Scandic, Thon and Choice hotels has several in the city centre. There are also others. 

If you have more questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Thank you all for excellent help/summary.

Single journey ticket (39 NOK) - are they still available for sale from 7-11 stores or everything has shifted to Ruter app? (it is annoying to install app for one day visit and just to find that it is having technical glitches just for that day while struggling with roaming data)

If you are using transfer(s),  one has to get off the bus before time expires or it is ok as far as ticket was valid when got on board?

Thanks