OMG, I travel in 2 days and passport is expired

The key is to make sure the birth certificate is an official certified copied (not a photo copy unless it is notarized). This is very important as they will not allow you on with just a photo copy of the official certificate. It is fine if it is tattered, folded, etc. just make sure it has the raised seal and is official. Other than that just have your DL with you and you are fine. The odds of you needing a passport to get home are very slim so don't fret over that as it won't do any good at this point.

Have fun.

Thanks everyone for the info. I have my state registered birth certificate and will use that. Not sure why I spent the extra $60 per kid for their passports. But at least we can do more international trips now (once I renew mine)

The key is to make sure the birth certificate is an official certified copied (not a photo copy unless it is notarized). This is very important as they will not allow you on with just a photo copy of the official certificate. It is fine if it is tattered, folded, etc. just make sure it has the raised seal and is official. Other than that just have your DL with you and you are fine. The odds of you needing a passport to get home are very slim so don't fret over that as it won't do any good at this point.

Have fun.

Just a side note as we've seen people denied boarding because of it, but the "happy Feet" birth record that you may have received from the hospital does not qualify as a birth certificate.

Thanks everyone for the info. I have my state registered birth certificate and will use that. Not sure why I spent the extra $60 per kid for their passports. But at least we can do more international trips now (once I renew mine)

Well, as has been pointed out, there are some additional protections involved in having a passport, particularly if there is some emergent need to travel back home by air. It's much easier to accomplish, if you already have a passport. If you don't, you'll have to contact your consulate and go through the process of getting temporary emergency credentials, just adding to an already stressful situation.

The good news, though, is that something like that is unlikely to happen, so bring that birth certificate and enjoy your crusie.:cool:

Just a side note as we've seen people denied boarding because of it, but the "happy Feet" birth record that you may have received from the hospital does not qualify as a birth certificate.

As another side note, some states no longer have the "raised seal" on official BC's so thats not necessarily a requirement. Georgia has went to a stamp and watermark. Basically put, as long as it comes directly from the state or vitalcheck, its considered certified and official and will work on a RC closed loop cruise.

Also, some cruiselines do in fact accept photocopies. Im pretty sure this is the case with all cruise lines sailing under the Carnival Corporation banner. I know for sure its the case on Carnival. Royal does state it has to be the original though.

Edited by ryano

Not your question, but for others, if your passport is within 6 months of expiration, it is effectively 'expired' for all practical purposes. Gotta have that window left for many places to accept it.

You need to look at the long list of countries that don't require 6 months.

When I've travelled to Mexico by air, everyone had to present a passport. They typically don't check at cruise ports, but theoretically they could.

At least that is how it was explained to me by a customs officer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

By AIR, yes, passport is required. But on a closed loop cruise, not the case at all.

Have fun.

Actually....https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID.

"original" just means a certified copy.

The fact that they state "or copy", and not "certified copy" on a legal page is pretty important.

And plenty of people have said that they have boarded with a plain old copy of their official BC.

It's not something I personally would play with (unless I had the certified BC in my purse just in case), and I'm a passport person all the way, but if they meant "certified copy" they would state "certified copy".

Really? You're just figuring this out now?

Try and get an emergency replacement. They'll need to see a copy of the itinerary. Royal may let you board, but the ports don't have to let you in.

Rudeness and bad advice in one post!

OP, I hope you can get a valid copy of your BC, and that you have a wonderful cruise!

Closed loop cruise from a US port, to those ports, then you don't need one. Only issue is going to be if you end up having to fly home from a foreign port. You need a passport for air travel but on a cruise of this type, you can go with a birth certificate and photo ID. If you have to fly home due to some sort of emergency you'll need to work with the US consulate for a temporary passport.

While it is possible that those countries could decide that you need to present a passport at any time, there's no current indication that any of them are going to.

Edited by makiramarlena

Are there any hassles or restrictions when using a birth certificate?

You will be fine with the birth certificate. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pull it out now and make sure it is indeed a certified certificate from the county in which you were born.

If not, you will either have to go get one today or head to the passport office and hope they can get you the passport in 1 day.

I'm sure the OP found this remark helpful. Glad you are here to provide this type of guidance.

OP, listen to and take heart in the advise of those here trying to provide assistance -- like Bob -- DL and official BC (raised seal, issued by state, not hospital).

gjc1111, thank you for saying it, before I did. I was having a difficult time restraining myself.

Exactly. While these counties generally take a relaxed approach to cruise passengers, they decide what documents are required for entry, not the US government, let alone RCI. So if Jamaica decides tomorrow that passports are required for cruise passengers, that's what you'll need.

The chances of that happening are slim and none and slim just left town.

Jamaica isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot and lose all that tourist money.

I've never seen any government pass and implement a change as you propose in 24 hours.

Bill

Jamaica isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot and lose all that tourist money.

I've never seen any government pass and implement a change as you propose in 24 hours.

Bill

I suppose something like that could happen, if they had a government coup. In that case, though, you probably wouldn't want to get off the ship there, anyway. :eek:

Bill

I couldn't agree more, Bill, which is why I couched it in hypothetical terms. FWIW, I never suggested that a change would be implemented in 24 hours, although in theory it could.

I'm just pointing out that Jamaica and every other foreign country visited dictates its own entry requirements. The US regulations regarding closed loop cruises apply solely to US citizens departing and entering the US, but a lot of posters on CC seem to believe that these regulations apply to the foreign countries visited, which is simply not the case. Should one of the countries being visited require a passport at some future point, the cruise lines would then require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a US requirement.

Edited by Fouremco

just don't get hurt. getting on and off are fine it's if you get stuck as in hurt and in the hospital or left behind because you just couldn't resist one more t-shirt and you miss the ship. Then it can get tricky...from what I have heard and I think that is the biggest reason we have our passports. I just went to the county store and got the paper work because my family are slackers (haha) my DH's will expire this month and my D(step)D has already expired. Thankfully they have until next August to get them or I WILL leave with out them :D:rolleyes:

Royal may let you board, but the ports don't have to let you in.

I have cruised several times and only had my birth certificate and drivers license. No port that I have ever visited asked to see my passport or documents, so this comment simply doesn't hold truth.

Yeah, lol another reason to book through the cruise line. They won't leave you if you are on a RCCL excursion.

Not exactly true. Sometimes things happen, and they can't hold up the ship. But, if you're on a ship-sponsored excursion, they (ie RCCL) have some responsibility to get you back to the ship.

I just read the expiration date on my passport and it expired 6 months ago. What are my options? I leave in 2 days from Galveston for Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica.

You're kidding right? You booked this cruise when? And you didn't have a clue? HUH? OMG is right!

Harry

Edited by traveling1969

You COULD go to Houston and "walk your application through"...getting it in one day. You need proof of international travel (hard copy of itinerary) and there is an additional fee. Call (877) 487-2778 for an appointment.

There may be other offices where this is possible.

I adore specific, helpful, right-on-point responses!

Kudos, TC!

:)

With all of the "bad" stuff happening in the world today, I can't believe this happened to you? I have several cruises booked and even though I KNOW my passport doesn't expire until 2021, I obsessively check the expiration date constantly............... You posted this as a joke, right?

I just returned from the Oasis and used my Birth Certificate and DL. This is fine on closed loop sailings (begin and end in same us port). We have done this many times with no issues. The only thing the security agent did was ask my kids their birthdays ( since they don't require photo ID under 16).

If you tried to fill out your online check in, it should have alerted you that the passport would not work as proof of citizenship. Another good reason for completing the check in as soon as it is available 90 days out.

We were going on a cruise on RCCL in Sept. 2014. I was doing our online checkin in June 2014 and when I entered my adult son's passport information the system kicked it out because his passport would have expired just before the cruise. We got an alert warning in red! He had plenty of time to renew it. Mailed off the application the following day and got his new passport within 3 weeks without expediting it.

If you tried to fill out your online check in, it should have alerted you that the passport would not work as proof of citizenship. Another good reason for completing the check in as soon as it is available 90 days out.

We were going on a cruise on RCCL in Sept. 2014. I was doing our online checkin in June 2014 and when I entered my adult son's passport information the system kicked it out because his passport would have expired just before the cruise. We got an alert warning in red! He had plenty of time to renew it. Mailed off the application the following day and got his new passport within 3 weeks without expediting it.

That's good to know! (that something in RC's website system actually works. ;))