Sushi on 5

I&J Cruisers

Sorry but your understanding is incorrect...in fact all fish served raw which includes sushi and ceviche served in a restaurant in the US must be flash frozen before serving per FDA guidlines. Other parts of the world may differ but flash freezing reduces the risk of parasites/etc. I suggest a google search on why you want it to be flash frozen (unless you like eating tapeworms and other parasites).

I'd hate to say your understanding is erroneous, but I've been served just-beheaded shrimp that was still quivering on the sushi rice.

I'd hate to say your understanding is erroneous, but I've been served just-beheaded shrimp that was still quivering on the sushi rice.

Actually both of you are correct. While the FDA does require fish (other than tuna) to be flash frozen, some of the high end sushi venues do circumvent this rule. I too have consumed sushi where the seafood component was alive and kicking moments before the meal. That said if flash freezing is done properly, the fish can still taste quite good and fresh.

Yes. Currently on Solsice and got 20% off first night. We had nice little meal, but I warn others that waiter admitted that the sushi fish is previously frozen, thereby violating our understanding of all of nature's sushi laws.

HI notjaded, this is completely out of context to this post but its the only way I could think of contacting you after reading your review of Seabourn Sojourn.

You got your wish! Seabourn has changed their policy.

http://www.oversixty.com.au/travel/cruising/2016/08/another-cruise-line-to-ban-balcony-smoking/

Edited by reedy8
more info

HI notjaded, this is completely out of context to this post but its the only way I could think of contacting you after reading your review of Seabourn Sojourn.

You got your wish! Seabourn has changed their policy.

http://www.oversixty.com.au/travel/cruising/2016/08/another-cruise-line-to-ban-balcony-smoking/

Many thanks for your kind advisory! We plan on returning on an Antartica cruise.

+1 on many of the comments around flash frozen fish.

Just had to throw in a comment about "fresh" sushi. I didn't realize until a few years ago that some fish, like tuna, taste better "aged", kind of similar to beef, to develop texture and flavour/umami. General rule of thumb is bigger fish are aged whereas smaller fish/crustaceans are not (but there are other factors like oil composition, etc).

Sorry but your understanding is incorrect...in fact all fish served raw which includes sushi and ceviche served in a restaurant in the US must be flash frozen before serving per FDA guidlines. Other parts of the world may differ but flash freezing reduces the risk of parasites/etc. I suggest a google search on why you want it to be flash frozen (unless you like eating tapeworms and other parasites).
That's exactly right; I had a roommate who worked in a sushi restaurant in San Francisco; he said without freezing, the salmon would be wormy. Yum!

As others have said, there is an exemption for Tuna and crustacians such as sea cucumbers, scallops, shrimp (and of course clams and oysters which many of us eat raw irrespective of sushi or the warnings). I would advise anyone to never eat unfrozen fresh water fish or fish that spend part of their lives in fresh water such as salmon. That doesn't mean it doesn't find it's way into sushi, but the risk of illness is far higher than salt water fish.

One final caution whether you are eating sushi on Celebrity or eating it at at home. When you see "white tuna" on a sushi menu (other than in Japan/Italy) it is very often Escolar, a fish that you really may want to avoid eating. There is no US law about serving Escolar, but it can cause digestive issues....hint: it has been nicknamed by some as the Ex-Lax fish. Google it...or at least look at:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2009/11/green-around-gills .

NOTE: it is illegal to sell escolar in Japan (or Italy) which should tell you something.

It's a bit tricky to avoid because when you order the combo sushi/sashimi or chirashi at a restaurant you have to remember to ask if it has "white tuna" and request it be substituted with something else.

For the record, I have no idea if Celebrity serves Escolar or not.....this is sort of a general warning for those that eat Sushi and weren't aware.

Edited by ghstudio

I don't recall any discounting at Bistro on 5. We will miss the crepes. We love sushi and we are lucky to live where there are excellent places to have it. We won't be spending extra on something we can enjoy (and a better quality) at home.

Same with us. We have fabulous sushi here in our city, actually outstanding. No need for it on a cruise, even if it's wonderful, we have "wonderful" sushi as often as we want it at home. HOWEVER, those decadent crepes we enjoyed at Bistro on 5 are hard to find anywhere, and now they are gone! :(

• 3 weeks later...
Since the decision to close Luminae for lunch on port days, Suite guests have been able to use Bistro on 5 for free. Does that still continue after the change over to Sushi on five.

Such a shame the official Celebrity poster chose to ignore your question. There has been a noticeable improvement in the quality of their posts too in recent times so they've let themselves down as it's a valid question.

Such a shame the official Celebrity poster chose to ignore your question. There has been a noticeable improvement in the quality of their posts too in recent times so they've let themselves down as it's a valid question.

There is nothing on the celebrity web site about this....and as you may have noticed, Celebritycruises only posts quotes from their web site. I wouldn't expect any official answer here.....unless it comes from a moderator.

Not surprised. Pasta is served at every large family gathering and office party at home. It's usually baked ziti because it's cheap and easy to prepare. While the Sushi in the buffet was generic, the perception was received as something special and took some effort to prepare. I'll pass on the 75cent box of spaghetti or rigatoni with the jar sauce thrown on top. I will miss the buffet sushi which we enjoyed as an appetizer with our pre dinner cocktail.

I completely agree with you! It is the only thing we would go to the buffet for all day. Would bring it back to our balcony for sunset and a cocktail! Yes, nothing to write home about, but it is fresh and free! Why should I pay ala carte prices like any restaurant at home! This is ridiculous!

I also posted on the facebook page and they have answered all the posts around mine but have managed to ignore my post. It must be a really difficult question that I asked that they can't or won't respond to.

I suspect that they do not want to admit that they have binned their get out to Luminae being available for breakfast, lunch and dinner to suite guests. Thus was what was promoted when we switched 6 bookings from AQ to suites. They took the extra $s but failed to deliver their promises.

I really don't know why I expected anything else from a cruise line who keep changing the goalposts as they make up rules on the hoof.

We have done 12 cruises in a row with this company, the last 5 in suites, booked following the introduction of Luminae.

I started looking at Oceana today to see if that was a viable alternative from a company that advertises a product, gets bookings on the basis of the adverts and then dumps the promoted product after the customer has paid his mighty $. Still have another 5 booked again in suites but I am getting fed up with the constant change in what we booked. We, unlike those in the US, cannot just cancel without losing our deposits.

One of the big incentives of booking suites was an escape from the cattle market of the Oceanview where you continually end up doing laps of the place to find an available table and then have to dine at differing times from your partner/spouse to retain that hard won table. At least bistro offered a certain outlet away from that.

Celebrity have a history of thinking on their feet and making changes without thinking through all of the implications and effects of the changes before they change things or perhaps they no longer care about their reputation and just decide that they have our cash in the bank.

We board the Silhouette in just over 2 weeks time, provided that Celebrity get round to issuing us with tickets, which they have not done as yet and we have no idea what we are getting for what we have already paid for. The cruise has only 3 sea days so no Luminae and I suspect no alternative either. I guess we will have to complain to the uk advertising standard board on our return if no alternative is provided.

This is not what you expect if you cruise in one of the top suites although it shouldn't matter which one you book. Sure their contract says they can make changes but this is beyond a joke.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

" One of the big incentives of booking suites was an escape from the cattle market of the Oceanview where you continually end up doing laps of the place to find an available table and then have to dine at differing times from your partner/spouse to retain that hard won table. At least bistro offered a certain outlet away from that. ".

Haha.....exactly.

We tried Sushi on 5 on our recent Reflection trip:

The food was good, better then any mass market Shushi we have ever had in the in the uk.

It was a realy enjoyable meal BUT the pricing was a tad too high for my liking.

We had:

2 starters

one noodle dish between two

a main course each

pudding for one

We had a Japanese beer each ( chargeable ) and the saki on the classic package.

It made a decent sized evening meal but came to $67. I thought that was a bit steep considering that a few nights before we had eaten in Murano for $60 !!

It might be an option on a sea day for a bowl of noodle soup, but it's not good value

Sushi on 5 had several cooked appetizers that were not expensive and the rolls were HUGE. We found that 5 of us could eat for around $11 each. California rolls were not expensive, avocado was fresh and the Veggie rolls were also crunchy and good. Edamame was nice, sake was on our premium package. Udon noodle soup was a nice change one day. We tried only once their raw fish, salmon, Tuna sashimi etc and found it sub par so skipped it in the future.

We tend to be long cruisers so on our next cruise which is 24 nights we will most definitely dine in Sushi on 5. We found the food in Bistro on 5 had declined to a terrible level since they stopped cooking freshly in the small attached kitchens....Sushi on 5 is a welcome addition for us and Celebrity is doing amazing business $$ we are told.....3X+ what Bistro was bringing in....Thus the roll out fleetwide.

Safe sails to all!

I did have a conversation today with the onshore concierge today and according to her both Sushi and the Porch are included within our RS speciality package. I will try and find out what is available for other suite cabins while onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did have a conversation today with the onshore concierge today and according to her both Sushi and the Porch are included within our RS speciality package. I will try and find out what is available for other suite cabins while onboard.

On the other Sushi on 5 thread it was posted ( #81 ) they are in an RS on the Silly and it was unlimited.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2366291

On the other Sushi on 5 thread it was posted ( #81 ) they are in an RS on the Silly and it was unlimited.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2366291

I meant if you were in either a Sky or a CS suite, which is what we have in our next bunch of Celebrity cruises.

• 2 weeks later...
I also posted on the facebook page and they have answered all the posts around mine but have managed to ignore my post. It must be a really difficult question that I asked that they can't or won't respond to.

I suspect that they do not want to admit that they have binned their get out to Luminae being available for breakfast, lunch and dinner to suite guests. Thus was what was promoted when we switched 6 bookings from AQ to suites. They took the extra $s but failed to deliver their promises.

I really don't know why I expected anything else from a cruise line who keep changing the goalposts as they make up rules on the hoof.

We have done 12 cruises in a row with this company, the last 5 in suites, booked following the introduction of Luminae.

I started looking at Oceana today to see if that was a viable alternative from a company that advertises a product, gets bookings on the basis of the adverts and then dumps the promoted product after the customer has paid his mighty $. Still have another 5 booked again in suites but I am getting fed up with the constant change in what we booked. We, unlike those in the US, cannot just cancel without losing our deposits.

One of the big incentives of booking suites was an escape from the cattle market of the Oceanview where you continually end up doing laps of the place to find an available table and then have to dine at differing times from your partner/spouse to retain that hard won table. At least bistro offered a certain outlet away from that.

Celebrity have a history of thinking on their feet and making changes without thinking through all of the implications and effects of the changes before they change things or perhaps they no longer care about their reputation and just decide that they have our cash in the bank.

We board the Silhouette in just over 2 weeks time, provided that Celebrity get round to issuing us with tickets, which they have not done as yet and we have no idea what we are getting for what we have already paid for. The cruise has only 3 sea days so no Luminae and I suspect no alternative either. I guess we will have to complain to the uk advertising standard board on our return if no alternative is provided.

This is not what you expect if you cruise in one of the top suites although it shouldn't matter which one you book. Sure their contract says they can make changes but this is beyond a joke.

g - It sounds like you need to switch all sailings that have not passed final payment.

Sorry that you feel disappointed in the service you have or may receive going forward, especially in the eating venues.

One should only sail with cruise lines on which they can be guaranteed full service based on advertizing, full dining privileges based on advertizing and any and all amenities based on advertizing rather it be within the scope of the cruise line or under its' control based on load factor or profitability.

As to ignoring your posts either here or elsewhere is such an abomination, not to be tolerated. :)

I support your jumping ship and moving on after your next sailing, after all you are on Holiday and need to expect it to be perfect in all aspects, without fail.

bon voyage

" One of the big incentives of booking suites was an escape from the cattle market of the Oceanview where you continually end up doing laps of the place to find an available table and then have to dine at differing times from your partner/spouse to retain that hard won table. At least bistro offered a certain outlet away from that. ".

Haha.....exactly.

K - sorry there are challenges with seating in OVC, I had the same challenges on my most recent Silly cruise.

Often times we would do the MDR or Room Service when our schedule was crazy or felt like not doing the laps around the OVC vs the pool... LOL maybe we should have just done the pool..

I, often times, went to OVC early morning to get some tea, coffee and nibbles to return to the cabin before getting ready for the day... which includes either the MDR or OVC for that all important meal. We usually found something outside... which was nice.

bon voyage and I trust there will be more places to dine on your next sailing.

g - It sounds like you need to switch all sailings that have not passed final payment.

Sorry that you feel disappointed in the service you have or may receive going forward, especially in the eating venues.

One should only sail with cruise lines on which they can be guaranteed full service based on advertizing, full dining privileges based on advertizing and any and all amenities based on advertizing rather it be within the scope of the cruise line or under its' control based on load factor or profitability.

As to ignoring your posts either here or elsewhere is such an abomination, not to be tolerated. :)

I support your jumping ship and moving on after your next sailing, after all you are on Holiday and need to expect it to be perfect in all aspects, without fail.

bon voyage

Gordon is from Scotland.

They, unlike those of us in the US, lose their deposits (which can be hefty! ) if they cancel AT ANY TIME !!!! :(

Edited by chamima

Gordon is from Scotland.

They, unlike those of us in the US, lose their deposits (which can be hefty! ) if they cancel AT ANY TIME !!!! :(

c - True, I understand that and do not know what the deposit requirements on non-U.S. bookings. If they are similar to U.S. and no further payments made, the deposit loss would be quite modest, I would think, then again I do not know.

Thank you for bringing that to light.

bon voyage

Celebrity replied to my question on their facebook page to say that there is now no provision for those in Sky and Concierge suites for the days when Luminae is closed (port days).

Yes it would be fine to cancel but we have had flights booked and paid for months ago along with hotels around the cruises. Even if we could cancel deposit free, we would lose much more than the cost of a few lunches.

I have reread my earlier post and it was slightly misleading. The cruise we are on in what is now just over a week we are in an RS and apparently can use both the Porch and Sushi on 5 as they are included int he unlimited specialities that come with the suite.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank