Sushi on 5

I&J Cruisers

I'm sad about this. X cruises are expensive, they are a luxury I save up for so I do watch my pennies when on-board.

It's a shame the free ( slightly lower standard ) sushi in the OV have been discontinued, replaced by a la carte in SO5.

Will Silk Harvest be gone? And what about Q-sine - I feel that concept is getting really old.
We were pretty disappointed with Q-sine. Maybe because it is gimmicky and the food nothing special, at least for us on the West Coast because tapas places are so common here. I'd buy a dining package only if I could do the other restaurant and not have to eat in Qsine again. Last time we never ate in the MDR and did eat in the Normandie a few times and Bistro on 5 several times. Both great, both gone now :( Edited by s2kreno

Due to the overwhelming success of the Sushi on Five pop-up restaurant on Celebrity Reflection, the decision has been made to make that restaurant permanent, and to roll out Sushi on Five in place of Bistro on Five on the remainder of our fleet.

Traditional Japanese sushi and modern take on Japanese dishes. Authentic Japanese cuisine with menu crafted by Yoshikazu "Yoshi" Okada. Variety of premium, super-premium sakes imported from Japan. Also, artisanal Japanese beers and innovative, crafted cocktails exclusive to Sushi on Five.

Roll-out Schedule (dates are subject to change)

• Millennium- 5/12/16
  • Silhouette- 6/7/16
  • Solstice- 7/1/16
  • Infinity- 7/24/16
  • Equinox- 8/6/16
  • Constellation- 8/28/16
  • Eclipse- 9/17/16
  • Summit- 10/16/16

Since the decision to close Luminae for lunch on port days, Suite guests have been able to use Bistro on 5 for free. Does that still continue after the change over to Sushi on five.

I'm not sure how well Sushi will go down on the Eclipse sailings out of Southampton as many passengers are British. Personally, I hate it and it's not really that popular in the UK.

Maybe it's not that popular in your part of Yorkshire but where I live it's hugely popular with 3 sushi restaurants in our small town alone. I could eat it for every meal. However having seen the menu for Sushi on 5 I think we'll probably not bother on our trip in 10 days, not the kind of sushi that appeals to us and more expensive than even in Central London.

We were pretty disappointed with Q-sine. Maybe because it is gimmicky and the food nothing special, at least for us on the West Coast because tapas places are so common here. I'd buy a dining package only if I could do the other restaurant and not have to eat in Qsine again. Last time we never ate in the MDR and did eat in the Normandie a few times and Bistro on 5 several times. Both great, both gone now :(

Yeah, I kept thinking, what are they trying to distract me from here! Too much weird presentation to notice what you are getting to eat. I'd never go again. But we liked the Bistro, however, love sushi so can't wait to try the Seared Scallop California roll and the Shrimp Tempura roll...mmmm:p

I see no date for Equinox. Are they not going to make the change on Equinox. We were on Reflection after the change. They no longer have sushi I on the buffet. However the menu in such I on 5 bears no resemblance to the buffet offerings. It includes foods other than sushi and is very creative and delicious. We had lunch there 3 or 4 times and enjoyed it very much. In our opinion this is a huge improvement.

Questions to "I&J" or any other member:

1. Does "Sushi on 5" use the same menu (with same prices) for both lunch and dinner -- as "Bistro on 5" did?

2. Is "Sushi on 5" closed during the breakfast hours?

Thank you.

Just wondering, if you have the beverage packages, can you just sit there and order a cocktail or sake that is within your limit and then leave without paying anything? since the drinks are covered by the package?

Same menu for lunch and dinner. No breakfast hours. Best roll was the sunset roll. Excellent. Hot pots were also very good.

Thank you! We forgot to ask one more question:

Is "Sushi on 5" open for lunch even on days in port?

We seem to recall that "Bistro on 5" WAS open for lunch on those days, but we are open to being corrected.

Has the bistro on five been converted to sushi on 5 yet. If not does anyone know when that is scheduled to happen.

Debuted on Celebrity ReflectionSM and Celebrity Millennium®, Sushi on Five expands throughout our fleet during 2016 Celebrity SilhouetteSM on June 7, Celebrity Solstice® on July 1, Celebrity Infinity® on July 24, Celebrity Equinox® on August 6, Celebrity Constellation® on August 28, Celebrity Eclipse® on September 17, and Celebrity Summit® on October 16. Dates may vary.

Thank you! We forgot to ask one more question:

Is "Sushi on 5" open for lunch even on days in port?

We seem to recall that "Bistro on 5" WAS open for lunch on those days, but we are open to being corrected.

Definitely open for lunch on port. Luminae is not open on port days we ate there on those days plus others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering, if you have the beverage packages, can you just sit there and order a cocktail or sake that is within your limit and then leave without paying anything? since the drinks are covered by the package?

I would seriously doubt it unless they have a bar. I don't think they would want people taking up the tables just drinking. Now if you wanted to share a roll or appetizer and have a drink they would probably let you do that.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not sure how well Sushi will go down on the Eclipse sailings out of Southampton as many passengers are British. Personally, I hate it and it's not really that popular oin the UK.

I agree. Sushi is a specific love it or hate it option for UK cruisers. It isn't big in the UK. There is one chain restaurant and local Sushi venues are niche.

If they had wanted that venue to appeal to UK cruisers then they needed to know their market: steaks, chicken, fish, Indian, Chinese, burgers, pizzas. Any of these would have been better. In fact good pizzas would have been very popular IMO. Bistro on 5 has been dead on all of our Eclipse cruises. Sushi on 5 will be even more dead, if that's possible.

On the UK cruise line P&O they have a speciality restaurant Sindhu where the food is planned by a UK Michelin starred chef and at £15 cover charge is very reasonable. It's a superb venue with excellent food. They know their market.

Celebrity you need to think about your target market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. Sushi is a specific love it or hate it option for UK cruisers. It isn't big in the UK. There is one chain restaurant and local Sushi venues are niche.

If they had wanted that venue to appeal to UK cruisers then they needed to know their market: steaks, chicken, fish, Indian, Chinese, burgers, pizzas. Any of these would have been better. In fact good pizzas would have been very popular IMO. Bistro on 5 has been dead on all of our Eclipse cruises. Sushi on 5 will be even more dead, if that's possible.

On the UK cruise line P&O they have a speciality restaurant Sindhu where the food is planned by a UK Michelin starred chef and at £15 cover charge is very reasonable. It's a superb venue with excellent food. They know their market.

Celebrity you need to think about your target market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree to a point , I am a UK cruiser that actually does like sushi very much .... But Only from time to time and usually alone as husband not a huge fan . Celebrity should've maybe made it an indian restaurant on five instead on ex uk sailings , as that would always be a hit with us curry scoffing , kingfisher swilling , popadom

Crunching Brits , I know it's been done in the past .

Yes Sushi is a healthy option , and maybe that's why they've decided on

That , but yes agree that not the best option ex UK

Sent from my iPhone using Forums