Sushi on 5

I&J Cruisers

Funny, here you can't find Indian cuisine. Sushi places are everywhere:D

RCCL added Indian Cuisine several years ago, to my knowledge it was not well received. I never developed a taste for curry myself.

But I love sushi rolls...even our supermarket here makes it and it is delish.

It took me a while, but I now just love it.

I have to say, I know there are quite a few negative reviews of Sushi on 5 but my husband and I absolutely loved it on our honeymoon back in June. We ate there three times! In the beginning of the cruise, we definitely noticed that it was pretty empty and after our first meal we couldn't figure out why: the food is phenomenal. There are definitely plenty of delicious options for those who don't love sushi: the pork belly hot pot was stellar and I still dream about those ramen kobe beef sliders! Towards the end of the trip it started to fill up more, which was encouraging because I certainly hope they will continue to have this restaurant around on our next cruise next year!

I'm really curious how the introduction of Sushi on 5 will affect the menu offerings in Silk Harvest on the Solstice and Equinox, as they offer quite a few crossover types of food items. I think 2 Asian themed restaurants may be a bit much and hurt both venues from being money makers on these ships.

I was looking at the menu for Silk that they now post as a example and it does not show any Sushi. We are on the 10-8-2016 out Sydney, will see. Have always liked Silk Harvest. One of the reasons we always buy the 5 dinner package.

Pattie

I believe I read that they've added more pizza and pasta selections during the hours sushi used to be served.

That's disappointing. Pizza and pasta are carbs, carbs and more carbs, a half step below junk food. It would have been nice to replace it with something that gives you another protein and vegetable option - a Mediterranean station would have been awesome.

That's disappointing. Pizza and pasta are carbs, carbs and more carbs, a half step below junk food. It would have been nice to replace it with something that gives you another protein and vegetable option - a Mediterranean station would have been awesome.

Funny you mention this. I wasn't fond of the buffet on my one X cruise (Eclipse) because it was so hard to find appetizing looking proteins. The steamship round couldn't be sawed through, chicken was always drowned in some kind of casserole/sauce, and the grill line didn't look worth waiting for.

They probably figured that you love it so much you would be willing to pay for it!

You have hit the nail right on the head:D:D

A few years ago Selfridge in London opened a sushi bar and I predicted that it would bomb. How wrong was I .....long, long, queues (lines:p).

We hate the stuff, but the younger members of our family can't get enough of it.

Be interesting to see how popular it is on the Eclipse out of Soham. Good Chinese would have gone down better on this run I would have thought.

Out of school hols, most people on board are fairly elderly -Chinese yes, Sushi no, for many. In fact, if it bombs out of Soham, perhaps it could be Chinese from Soham and Sushi from Miami.:eek:

We were on Eclipse a few weeks ago and many now found the buffet difficult for selection. Dried up carvery, pasta, pizza and hot dogs in profusion and strange, floating concoctions from round the world. Unfortunately, the excellent daily fish'n'chips were sadly missing most of the time - pity as many passengers had looked forward to this. So, many resorted to the sandwich bar and salad bar which are both very good. Healthy, yes, but running round the buffet in hope of finding something 'normal' was tiring. Eventually gave up looking and decided Celebrity wanted us to eat 'healthy' so went straight to the sandwich bar.

We so looked forward to sea days when the MDR was open. In fact, when we go Cunard, we heave a sigh of relief as we can go to the MDR every day for lunch. Oh well, we prefer Celebrity and nothing is perfect. But if they really wanted it to be a 5* line, a proper dining room, rather than a push'n'shove, should be available three times a day.

The staff in the buffet were very helpful though, as far as getting drinks and helping with the heavy plates were concerned. Very well-run ship. On again in a few weeks time.

Edited by BMT

"Dried up carvery", yes precisely. Your description of the buffet on Eclipse matches my experience on her in December. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone because I'd heard how much better the food was on X. NCL's buffet beats it handily, at least on their "away" ships.

The main thing I found edible in the dinner buffet was ... The sushi.

I believe I read that they've added more pizza and pasta selections during the hours sushi used to be served.

Not surprised. Pasta is served at every large family gathering and office party at home. It's usually baked ziti because it's cheap and easy to prepare. While the Sushi in the buffet was generic, the perception was received as something special and took some effort to prepare. I'll pass on the 75cent box of spaghetti or rigatoni with the jar sauce thrown on top. I will miss the buffet sushi which we enjoyed as an appetizer with our pre dinner cocktail.

We haven't eaten in a buffet on a mass mkt cruise in years. Rarely in the MDR either. When passengers insist on lower and lower bottom line prices that's what you get. We don't eat that kind of food at home so why would we eat when on vacation. There is a reason why the so called luxury lines are so much more expensive. That's what it costs to provide quality food and make a profit. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by I&J Cruisers

View Post

You can find ALL the menus here:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onbo...se-restaurants

Sushi on 5 only has one menu, so presume it's both lunch and dinner the same

The menu is surpassingly good.....shocking. Can't wait to try it in October.

Looking at the menus I realized that this might be a nice place for an afternoon drink. We will have the premium drink package so getting an appetizer portion and one of their specialty drinks might be nice.

Personally, I really enjoy sushi. My husband, however, is allergic to shellfish and looking at the menu, there aren't that many options for him other than the teriyaki. Prior to this, I was excited about a place that served crepes. Will have to see.

I don't recall any discounting at Bistro on 5. We will miss the crepes. We love sushi and we are lucky to live where there are excellent places to have it. We won't be spending extra on something we can enjoy (and a better quality) at home.

<snip>We love sushi and we are lucky to live where there are excellent places to have it. We won't be spending extra on something we can enjoy (and a better quality) at home.

We have pretty good sushi in Vancouver too but I'm a bit of a sucker to try new things. Even though the 5 night dinner package we purchased for our upcoming cruise should limit our exposure to the per item pricing, we are going to have certain expectations around the quality based on the menu pricing and what we can get at home (even though I realize it's not necessarily an apples to apples comparison).

Has anyone seen discounts to eat at Sushi on Five? First night, etc.?

Yes. Currently on Solsice and got 20% off first night. We had nice little meal, but I warn others that waiter admitted that the sushi fish is previously frozen, thereby violating our understanding of all of nature's sushi laws.

Yes. Currently on Solsice and got 20% off first night. We had nice little meal, but I warn others that waiter admitted that the sushi fish is previously frozen, thereby violating our understanding of all of nature's sushi laws.

Sorry but your understanding is incorrect...in fact all fish served raw which includes sushi and ceviche served in a restaurant in the US must be flash frozen before serving per FDA guidlines. Other parts of the world may differ but flash freezing reduces the risk of parasites/etc. I suggest a google search on why you want it to be flash frozen (unless you like eating tapeworms and other parasites).

I don't recall any discounting at Bistro on 5. We will miss the crepes. We love sushi and we are lucky to live where there are excellent places to have it. We won't be spending extra on something we can enjoy (and a better quality) at home.
When we cruised on the Summit last year, you could eat lunch for free in Bistro on embarkation day. One of our fellow cruisers tipped us off -- he always goes Aqua class because he loves Blu, but he also ate in BOF a lot. We tried it and ate there several more times -- really liked the crepes, the quiet and the service. The captain also ate there frequently. We saw him and a few officers there several times. Hoping the sushi is good because I'll miss Bistro.

Sorry but your understanding is incorrect...in fact all fish served raw which includes sushi and ceviche served in a restaurant in the US must be flash frozen before serving per FDA guidlines. Other parts of the world may differ but flash freezing reduces the risk of parasites/etc. I suggest a google search on why you want it to be flash frozen (unless you like eating tapeworms and other parasites).

Except tuna, which is specifically exempt from those FDA rules - which were primarily put in for freshwater fish, which are much more likely to have parasites than saltwater.

When the city of Toronto tried to bring in a similar local bylaw, for there is no such Canadian rule, that all Sushi fish must be frozen local chefs literally marched on city hall and the law was amended. Now there's a warning about eating raw fish that must be posted publicly visible instead so an informed consumer choice can be made.