Harmony, How To Cope With No Solarium Pool

I have never seen an empty solarium pool, and I have been cruising for over 25 years. I think the complaint is more that there is no longer an adult pool/area. The solarium area on the Oasis and Allure includes lots of places to rest/relax, along with the chance to cool off. Literature or information on the Harmony should at least explain there is no adult pool.

The very few that I have seen in a solarium pool are only sitting it in, and not swimming. Therefore, maybe that is why they put in the misting trees? I also don't believe the "solarium pool" has been around for 25 years, but I might be wrong. I do know that it isn't on every RCCL ship, so therefore I guess it shouldn't be a big deal that it isn't on the Harmony.

Edited by MrsKC08

Much to my surprise I just found out that the Harmony does not have a solarium pool. When I booked the cruise, when it was first being built, the deck plans included a solarium pool. Being a handicapped person, the only pool I can get enter into by myself is the solarium pool because of its steps. They do have a chairlift at the main pool, but it is not as comfortable as being able to access a pool by myself. At the main pool I have to find a pool person to operate the chairlift and then return to lift me out, and I get the fish out of water stares from everyone. I do go in this pool with my grandkids, but when they are flow riding or sliding, I would love to be independent and use a pool by myself.

I just returned from a cruise on the Norwegian Escape. The chairlift for the pool was broken the entire week, so I was unable to have use of pool for a week. In the Spring I took Carnival (my grandson wanted comedy every night), but it has no chairlifts for their pools and no pool I could access.

As a Diamond Plus member of Royal Caribbean I appreciated the activities for my grandchildren and always said the only thing they needed was waterslides, but please put back the solarium pool....

Just had to go look it up. That solarium pool section is stunning. It's just so weird they wouldn't do something similar on Harmony. A huge solarium, and they just have empty deck, basically.

I do wonder if it'll be added during a dry dock. There has to be a reason. The pool was pretty well packed on Oasis during the day, people definitely use it.

Is the solarium on anthem totally enclosed like on vision and radiance ships?

Does it make you feel good about yourself to go and trivialize other peoples comments?

People want to discuss it. If the topic doesn't interest you, move on.

As an FYI to a newbie poster, one thing is to refrain from personal attacks.

MrsK was not telling people not to talk about it. But her opinions may be shared by multiple readers/posters. I too find it strange people cancelling cruises because of the change. But.. to each it's own.

I have never seen an empty solarium pool, and I have been cruising for over 25 years. I think the complaint is more that there is no longer an adult pool/area. The solarium area on the Oasis and Allure includes lots of places to rest/relax, along with the chance to cool off. Literature or information on the Harmony should at least explain there is no adult pool.

I've got you topped Grandma Dazzles at 30 years. But the solarium area wasn't introduced until the Radiance Class. So the years don't matter. :p

I have seen plenty of empty solarium pools in my many cruises over the years. I've seen hot tubs filled beyond capacity.

But I have to agree with you that the biggest complaint may be the lack of adult pool as the reason.

I have to laugh but I remember all the fuss on when they allow kids to swim in the solarium pools on the Oasis class during spring break. Maybe this is punishment for those complainers. (Just kidding) :D

As an FYI to a newbie poster, one thing is to refrain from personal attacks.

MrsK was not telling people not to talk about it. But her opinions may be shared by multiple readers/posters. I too find it strange people cancelling cruises because of the change. But.. to each it's own.

Thank you. You took the words right out of my mouth :)

I wouldn't cancel our upcoming cruise on Harmony because of no pool in the Solarium, but I'm still very disappointed. And also, they might want to take the verbiage about Harmony's Solarium pool off of their website. (They even mention if there's bad weather, children may be allowed to swim there during a certain time period.) :rolleyes:

I wouldn't cancel our upcoming cruise on Harmony because of no pool in the Solarium, but I'm still very disappointed. And also, they might want to take the verbiage about Harmony's Solarium pool off of their website. (They even mention if there's bad weather, children may be allowed to swim there during a certain time period.) :rolleyes:

I can't imagine that solarium would be much good in bad weather. Sounds like verbiage from Anthem

I wonder if the expanded area of the Solarium on Harmony had some influence in the decision to not have a pool. By removing the central congregating area maybe people will spread out more and utilize the area out front more. Just a thought although I wish they used the larger area for a larger pool than Oasis and Allure.

I understand how no pool bothers some. But for me the Solarium is hot, humid and stuffy! I would much rather sit out on the pool deck and relax by the pools.

I also agree it was nice to have the umbrellas by the beach pool on Oasis and Allure b/c hubby will sit with me all day if he has shade. Personally for me I could care less as I want sunshine all day. But for him, having that shade was great. So will have to adjust on our Harmony cruise so that I have my sun and he has his shade. Since we are going with sis/bil, probably won't be as hard as he can sit in the shade with BIL and we will lay in the sun. He knows I won't sit in the shade, so we will make it work somehow.

Edited by karena1

I understand how no pool bothers some. But for me the Solarium is hot, humid and stuffy! I would much rather sit out on the pool deck and relax by the pools.

I also agree it was nice to have the umbrellas by the beach pool on Oasis and Allure b/c hubby will sit with me all day if he has shade. Personally for me I could care less as I want sunshine all day. But for him, having that shade was great. So will have to adjust on our Harmony cruise so that I have my sun and he has his shade. Since we are going with sis/bil, probably won't be as hard as he can sit in the shade with BIL and we will lay in the sun. He knows I won't sit in the shade, so we will make it work somehow.

I like that the solarium is covered, and to me, just more quiet and comfortable than the pool deck. I don't want to be in the sun, and near the pool deck the only other option is the chairs along the pathway where tons of people and kids run by.

I also don't want to go swimming that bad, I have a pool at home. So I like the nice wading and hangout pool. It's just perfect for someone like me. And it's fun to grab drinks and socialize with the others hanging out there. It's good fun. Not having it, for me, is a pretty big deal. Though I guess I'd still give Harmony a shot - I like waterslides, too - and my oldest son is a waterslide nut!

I'm a big fan of the Solariums, and Anthem looks even better - may have to fly to NY for that ship! I don't feel that hot and stuffy in there, but to each their own.

RCI won't care either way. Harmony will sell out every cruise, it's an awesome ship regardless.

• 7 months later...

Man, I forgot the Harmony had no Solarium Pool! I'm researching next years cruise and am leaning towards Harmony or Allure. Hmmm, Water slides or Adult pool area. We did spend a large amount of time in the Solarium on Allure a few years back...