Oosterdam > What to expect.

hirobmay

Hi All,

We are British Couple Rob & Minh, and our forthcoming cruise will be our 4th, (1st with HAL) having sailed with NCL, Princess & Celebrity before. I’d describe us still as novice cruisers and appreciate that a little knowledge and research can go a long way to maximizing your cruise experience.

As we both work full time, we are the types that really need to unwind on holiday so enjoy lazying or reading in the sunshine on deck. We’ll probably sacrifice a few ports for this but also looking forward to a few excursions (especially Monte Carlo and Corsica).

On our last Cruise (Celebrity Reflection 2014) I done too much planning and swatting up, with most plans going out the window when we got about, and this time I’ve done none at all!

Would really appreciate some feedback on the following subjects.

Formal / Gala night > We don’t do these. Maybe one day, but we are suited and booted all week (and we don’t own posh clobber like frocks and tuxes!). Will we be publicly shamed and forced to hide in our cabins, or is there options for peasants like us?

Also, what is the formal / Gala night dress code? What can you get away with?

Electrical outlets> What are the electrical sockets in the cabins? American / European / UK 3 pin?

USB charging> are there any?

Beverages> On our Celeb cruise I got the missus a ‘premium water package’ on her card as we both like sparkling water. We can drink it in the sun and take a bottle back to the cabin and thought we’d probably get our money’s worth (as we’d be sharing…shhh). Is there a similar HAL package? I don’t find the HAL packages that clear.

I’ll enjoy a beer or 2 but certainly don’t think any ‘Beer package’ will work for me.

Cabin> We’re in a VH class cabin..with a balcony. Any tips to make the cabin work better?

The Oosterdam> What’s the ship like? I’ve heard (& hope) the ship recently had a refit.

Can’t think of anything else for now..thanks for reading.

Rob.

Hello Rob,

Think of the main dining room as an upscale restaurant. On normal evenings, a collared shirt and long pants is fine. Many men wear jackets, but it's not required.

On Gala evenings, there will be some men wearing dinner suits. Others will wear dark suits, and some will wear jacket and tie with odd slacks.

If one prefers to wear shorts and tee shirts for dinner there is always the lido buffet. Note that the Gala dress code informally extends to entertainment areas on Gala evenings, but not the pools and outdoor areas of course. There's aways room service at no charge to your cabin as well.

There are all types of power outlets in cabins, on the desk. If you need multiple outlets at once, bring an adapter or two.

As far as I know, only the new ms Konigsdam has USB outlets so far in all staterooms.

There are no water packages on HAL. There are water fountains all around, though. One may purchase a soda fountain card for $25, which grants $50 for any soda fountain beverages, which would include Club Soda.

Balcony cabins are nice. Tip: Put your shoes in the basket and leave them on the bed for free polishing. Special Tip: As you have previously sailed on Princess, which is owned by Carnival as is HAL, you qualify for one star with the Mariner program. Contact HAL with your Princess information to have your accounts updated to reflect this, and enjoy the benefits on your first HAL cruise.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by MaxThrusters

Hi All,

We are British Couple Rob & Minh, and our forthcoming cruise will be our 4th, (1st with HAL) having sailed with NCL, Princess & Celebrity before. I’d describe us still as novice cruisers and appreciate that a little knowledge and research can go a long way to maximizing your cruise experience.

As we both work full time, we are the types that really need to unwind on holiday so enjoy lazying or reading in the sunshine on deck. We’ll probably sacrifice a few ports for this but also looking forward to a few excursions (especially Monte Carlo and Corsica).

On our last Cruise (Celebrity Reflection 2014) I done too much planning and swatting up, with most plans going out the window when we got about, and this time I’ve done none at all!

Would really appreciate some feedback on the following subjects.

Formal / Gala night > We don’t do these. Maybe one day, but we are suited and booted all week (and we don’t own posh clobber like frocks and tuxes!). Will we be publicly shamed and forced to hide in our cabins, or is there options for peasants like us?

Also, what is the formal / Gala night dress code? What can you get away with?

Electrical outlets> What are the electrical sockets in the cabins? American / European / UK 3 pin?

USB charging> are there any?

Beverages> On our Celeb cruise I got the missus a ‘premium water package’ on her card as we both like sparkling water. We can drink it in the sun and take a bottle back to the cabin and thought we’d probably get our money’s worth (as we’d be sharing…shhh). Is there a similar HAL package? I don’t find the HAL packages that clear.

I’ll enjoy a beer or 2 but certainly don’t think any ‘Beer package’ will work for me.

Cabin> We’re in a VH class cabin..with a balcony. Any tips to make the cabin work better?

The Oosterdam> What’s the ship like? I’ve heard (& hope) the ship recently had a refit.

Can’t think of anything else for now..thanks for reading.

Rob.

I'm just getting off the Oosterdam. I was on both before and after the refit, and I'm dubious about if it made the ship better. Just my opinion.

I am unaware of any UK-style outlets but both US and EU are in my cabin (a Signature Suite) and there is also a USB port. I was also in a balcony, and I don't remember a USB port there. Can't say there wasn't, just didn't notice it.

I do not think you will be shamed on Gala night. This is a large ship for HAL, it's a port intensive itinerary, and many do not dress. Compared with, let us say, the Prinsendam, there is less dressing up, though many choose to, to some extent or other. Remember that even the "gala" policy only applies to the MDR. I am strongly against such things as well, but will not get into it for fear the thread might become World Wr III.

Note that I am being far kinder here than I intend to be on the survey. There were a number of issues, many circling around housekeeping and the stateroom attendant. Photograph your laundry before you send it out, also the form.

Edited by Wehwalt

Although on Gala nights many men may wear a jacket and tie, neither is required for dining in the MDR. Only collared shirt and slacks for men are required, no jeans.

DH now usually wears black slacks, a long-sleeved button-down shirt, maybe with a tie and maybe with a black cardigan; he has given up taking his dark suit.

You will not be shamed... go have a fabulous cruise!

Tips for your room: keep the balcony door closed so the air conditioning system works properly. Adjust the fold-down shelves in the closets to suit your personal needs. The lighted magnifying mirror at the desk can make an excellent night light if turned away from the room. You used to be able to request the news digest of your choice (UK?) be delivered to your mailbox, might have changed recently...

m--

Although on Gala nights many men may wear a jacket and tie, neither is required for dining in the MDR. Only collared shirt and slacks for men are required, no jeans.
I've read that on some ships it must be a long-sleeved shirt, but can't say from personal experience on O'dam.

Edited by jtl513

We got off the O'dam on July 23. If there was a dress code enforced on gala night, it was not obvious to me. There were folks in the MDR wearing sport shirts. Cabin had both an American and European outlet. This was a port intensive cruise so we did not spend much time on the ship. The staff was professional and the food good. Entertainment was "hit or miss". Sea days were slow without many activities. The ship is well laid out and we did not have long "hikes" from one venue to the next.

Regarding the " close the doors for the airco " myth...the airco in your cabin is indeed on all the time, and is placed right over the bed ( which idiot designs such a thing?! A recipe for sinusitis) something I actually absolutely hate.

If yoy decide to,leave the door open to get fresh air in, adjust the airconditioning temperature to a higher setting to more-or-less match the outside temperature and then you will not "mess-up" the system.😉

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my questions. Much appreciated..

It seems I might survive Gala night after all. Can ladies get way with trousers to? Or will she be be made to walk the plank? :D

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my questions. Much appreciated..

It seems I might survive Gala night after all. Can ladies get way with trousers to? Or will she be be made to walk the plank? :D

She would not be "getting away" with anything :rolleyes: Trousers or slacks are acceptable.

Regarding the " close the doors for the airco " myth...the airco in your cabin is indeed on all the time, and is placed right over the bed ( which idiot designs such a thing?! A recipe for sinusitis) something I actually absolutely hate.

If yoy decide to,leave the door open to get fresh air in, adjust the airconditioning temperature to a higher setting to more-or-less match the outside temperature and then you will not "mess-up" the system.

Maybe not in your cabin, but it sure does mess it up for other cabins on the same line. That includes inside and outside cabins lower in the ship.

Those passengers like to breathe fresh air, too. Please keep your balcony door closed unless passing through it.

If yoy decide to,leave the door open to get fresh air in, adjust the airconditioning temperature to a higher setting to more-or-less match the outside temperature and then you will not "mess-up" the system.😉

We recently had an in-depth explanation about the A/C systems from a highly qualified engineer. You are presenting false information that is harmful to both the comfort of other passengers and ships safety as well.

Maintaining proper air pressure in your cabin prevents smoke in the hallway from entering the cabin during an emergency. Plus it is even more of a myth opening your balcony door allows fresh air to enter the cabin; it is just the opposite. It forces air out of the cabin, which is why it fouls up the system for others on the same circuit.

DO NOT FORCE YOUR BALCONY DOORS OPEN EVER! Only the lanai cabins have separate systems where this may be a possibility.

Search for posts from chengkp57 for further details.

We recently had an in-depth explanation about the A/C systems from a highly qualified engineer. You are presenting false information that is harmful to both the comfort of other passengers and ships safety as well...

DO NOT FORCE YOUR BALCONY DOORS OPEN EVER! Only the lanai cabins have separate systems where this may be a possibility.

Search for posts from chengkp57 for further details.

Great Post, OleSalt. As usual, you are spot on. Thanks.

Smooth sailing ...

We sailed on the Oosterdam just after the refit, and that cruise was a little rugged, as they hadn't completely finished the work, and were doing maintenance that I felt should have been done in port.

That said, everything turned out beautiful, and the ship is very nice. We especially enjoyed the Lincoln Center performances that we would drop in on after dinner. (Quintet playing classical music, wonderful). The Gallery Bar is very nice, relatively quiet, and the bartenders very friendly. They were running (unannounced) mini martini specials every night for $3 each. I'd recommend going there for before dinner drinks.

Another good deal is Happy Hour in the Crow's nest- from 4 to 5, they have drink specials (second drink $1 more), and the view from up there is excellent, both for arriving in the morning and departing in the evening.

I didn't bring a suit coat, but felt completely comfortable in the MDR and in the Pinnacle Grill with a shirt and sweater. Oh yes, the air conditioning is cold, so I needed to wear an extra layer while inside the ship.

You should have a great cruise! Buon viaggio!

Oldsalt,

I remember this discussion and explanation, as I participated in it.

You are obviously correct that the difference in P is a smoke barrier, or more accurately a smoke management system.

I was however not talking about keeping the door open for an extended period, but a minute or so will NOT in any way influence other cabins.

For those interested in Pressurisation barriers to control smoke, a link that explains systems very clearly and in a simple manner without formulas.

http://www.ftguide.org/ftg/SystemModules/AirHandlers/AHU_ReferenceGuide/FTG_Chapters/Chapter15_Management_and_Control_of_Smoke_and_Fire.htm

Now in case of smoke development/fire, the last thing you want to do is to be trapped inside your cabin. Fire/smoke can develop at a frightening rate, and you need asap to find an escape route to a clear area if evacuating the area becoms necessary. that is why there are at all times minimum 2 seperate escape routes for each cabin, public space. As firefighter, NEVER assume that you will be able to contain the fire to one localized area. As crew, Think at all times " uncontained". ALWAYS FOLLOW THE CREW INSTRUCTION AS PASSENGER/GUEST however.

But this is going too far from subject.

Greetz,

Despegue

Chairman TCAS Maritime and Aviation Safety Advisory & Auditing

Edited by Despegue
Spelling

I think the Vista ships (Oosterdam et al) involve long walks. I love them but somehow I find myself at the wrong end of the ship and plod along to the other end for Trivia and then find myself walking back to the other end of the ship for tea . My fav. ship is the Amsterdam with short walks. Have to admit that the Prinsendam has the shortest walking. First time on her I was walking to the showroom and whoa! where was the rest of the ship!! Took some getting used to!

My theory: the cruise is what you make of it. If you start being grouchy, you will have a grouchy cruise.Enjoy!

Just arrived at home from Oosterdam, there were 3 usb outlets in my balcony stateroom, 2 in the desk and 1 at bedside.

Was yours a regular balcony Vx cat or the refitted signature or neptune suite?

Thanks for all the replies. really helpful.

The missus is still stressing over Gala night, what to wear, what's allowed, whats not...in fear that the formal wear police will humiliate her.. :cool:

I'm more concerned about the best way to get to Central Rome from the airport. Getting excited now...:D

The cheapest (and simplest) way to get from the airport in Rome to central Rome is via the Leonardo Express train. Follow the signs in the airport to the "trains to Rome" area, buy your tickets from the machine (or ticket booth) and hop on. It'll take you to Termini station, in the center of Rome. To get to Civitavecchia, you'd go back to Termini and catch the train there, normally leaving on tracks (?) 25-29- and that is about a 10 minute walk from the central Termini station.

I enjoyed the gala nights on the Oosterdam, and wore a collared shirt, sweater and slacks. It was fun seeing some couples in ball gowns and tuxedos, but I didn't feel underdressed in the slightest. My wife wore a nice dress and flats, and she felt fine as well. If your wife has concerns about being underdressed, you could always choose for: 1) room service, 2) Canaletto, 3) the lido. Plenty of options!

The missus is still stressing over Gala night, what to wear, what's allowed, whats not...in fear that the formal wear police will humiliate her.. :cool:
Tell her to RELAX! Gala nights aren't like the old Formal. Just wear what you would to a nice restaurant at home. Go down and look at others in line waiting to get in the MDR, and if she still feels uncomfortable about it just head up to the Lido. I doubt that she will though. Edited by jtl513

Thanks for all the replies. really helpful.

I'm more concerned about the best way to get to Central Rome from the airport. Getting excited now...:D

Black dress slacks and a dressy top are the "go to" for gala nights. No need to stress.

Why would HAL post this on the balcony door if it was a myth?

29mt7yg.jpg

I was however not talking about keeping the door open for an extended period, but a minute or so will NOT in any way influence other cabins.

That is not what you said: