Pocket Knife

cruisinbabe16

I know that many of you think it is crazy to carry one...but my friend and roommate....never leaves home without his. I know that is has to have less than a 4" blade....and he says his does. But my question is has anyone ever had any trouble carrying it while in port? Meaning taking it with him when her gets off the ship.

Thanks for your help....Southern Caribbean in about a month and I can't wait....we planned 18 months ago....talk about torture.

My husband is the same way, takes his everywhere. They wouldn't let him take it on in Port Canaveral. It only had a 3" blade. Luckily, we drove so he was able to take it back to the car. Another port may be more lenient. Tell him to take a cheap knife just in case he has to toss it.

I know that many of you think it is crazy to carry one...but my friend and roommate....never leaves home without his. I know that is has to have less than a 4" blade....and he says his does. But my question is has anyone ever had any trouble carrying it while in port? Meaning taking it with him when her gets off the ship.

Thanks for your help....Southern Caribbean in about a month and I can't wait....we planned 18 months ago....talk about torture.

Those stating they have had no trouble taking it onboard is accurate but not really relevant to your question. Even a response of "no one ever checked on shore" does not eliminate the possibility. I think you would have to know the local laws of the areas you are visiting. Seems risky for no reason.

Put mine in shaving bag and goes on in checked luggage never a problem.

I dont take it off in ports but would be concerned getting it back on the ship if going thru xray.

He shouldn't have problems bring it back on board as Carnival allows you to bring a knife on board along as the blade is 4" or less.

from the Carnival website for prohibited items:

Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

Is it a true "pocket knife" or does he wear it on his belt? If its a true pocket knife, no one would know he had it or not in his pocket. If he wears it on his belt, I would check local laws in the ports you will be visiting. Another thing to consider is what will you be doing in the ports - going on an excursion or venturing out by yourselves ....

In your checked bag is fine. I bring a multi purpose tool with me in my checked luggage on every cruise and never had a problem. Taking it ashore with you is just asking for problems. Just my HP.

Edited by woodman

We used luggage express on our last cruise, so we didn't have access to our checked bags the day we disembarked. DH realized he had forgotten to pack his knife, which was his Dad's. It's not valuable, but it's priceless to him. We found a FedEx store and were able to ship it home.

My sister had a small Swiss Army knife in her purse that was confiscated upon returning to the ship from a port. Sorry, I can't remember what port, but it was the ship's x-ray machine that caught it, so I don't think the specific port matters.

The blade was definitely less than 4". She was able to retrieve it in the home port upon final disembarkation, which was good, but not something she wanted to deal with on that morning.

It appears people have different experiences with small knives. If you need to have it with you, then you should accept a certain risk of it being taken.

I had a Swiss Army knife in my purse. I got past HLS at the Sacramento Airport. Got to Las Vegas and got past HLS with the knife. Got on board the ship and past security with the knife. The thing about it is, I didn't know I had the knife in my purse until I went looking for a piece of gum. When eating at the steakhouse on board, they give you a nice big steak knife. So, it's hard saying if it would be confiscated. Put it in your checked luggage and hope for the best.

Edited by elliair

My husband had a small leatherman tool and it was confiscated, never was returned either. Had it in our checked luggage, we were called down to hte luggage area when we boarded.

Sorry, never heard of confiscated in checked bag. The Leatherman is completely legal. They were wrong and you needed to get a supervisor. I have traveled 100,000 + miles and still own my Titanium Leatherman

Sorry, never heard of confiscated in checked bag. The Leatherman is completely legal. They were wrong and you needed to get a supervisor. I have traveled 100,000 + miles and still own my Titanium Leatherman

Just because you did not get caught does not mean it was not in violation of the rules.

My DH has been told he couldn't bring his Leatherman multi-tool on during embarkation in Long Beach despite it being in compliance with all the rules of the cruise line. The guy at the scanner didn't care that it met the cruise line rules, he said DH couldn't take it. It was expensive and there's no way he was just going to give it to the guy. Thankfully we have friends that live in the area. Sometimes it's just not worth it to argue, even when you're right.

He has also had a small Swiss army knife (the little two inch one) confiscated. He forgot was in his shorts cargo pocket. It was confiscated getting back on the ship in a port. Thankfully they are inexpensive and he just bought another one when we got home.

So even if you read and are following all the rules, they can still tell you no and confiscate it. If he wants to challenge them or not is up to him, but there's somethings that just aren't worth it to me. So I'd say make sure to take one he would be OK with having to give up if it come to that.

• 3 years later...
2 minutes ago, Thecopierguy said:

If it's anything you care about--and you don't want to hike back to the car--just don't bring it.  I just lost one at Canaveral getting on a Carnival Cruise.  It was within specification of the regs, and I've not had a problem before.

Grrrrr....that would make me hopping mad! What reason did they give you for confiscating it? And what state/city did you sail from? It's not right. 

My husband always carry his pocket knife, on all of our carnival cruises it has never been a problem being in our suitcase that is checked.  Last cruise on RC, they held his bag and he had to go to the naughty room to get it, they held his knife until disembarkation where he was able to pick it up.  We sail next month on carnival out of PE, not sure what to do this time.

Edited by disney521
Spelling