Australian Circumnavigation - Early 2018

kuldalai

Just notified of an Australian circumnavigation on REGATTA early 2018 Sydney to Sydney .

Great vessel, great itinerary but CAVEAT EMPTOR .

Prices being asked are stratospheric , suggest wait till Oceania come to their senses .

Secondly despite having advised Oceania that this is the WORST time of the year to schedule this itinerary, the "whizz kids" in Miami have still persisted in scheduling an Australian circumnavigation WHEN 1. It is the cyclone season in Northern Waters and 2. The temperatures and humidity in Queensland, Northern Territory and Western Australia at that time of the year are absolutely crippling ; like 35 C plus with very high humidity .

The time for Australian circumnavigations are between May and October when the northern temperatures are more agreeable .

Could not agree more. I nearly died of the heat in Broome at the end of April. My friend was living on a property north of Derby and it was 47 degrees for about a week one Christmas.

However, it seems all the ships not based here permanently only come in the northern hemisphere off season, ie our summer.

And dont forget the always present Black Fly's who Love the whole country that time of year...but vacation along with the friendly Mozzies to Darwin and Queens land and the Northwest in droves.... i

However it a great time if you want to enjoy a game of "toad golf"...which I shall not elaborate upon

Just notified of an Australian circumnavigation on REGATTA early 2018 Sydney to Sydney .

Prices being asked are stratospheric , suggest wait till Oceania come to their senses .

Secondly despite having advised Oceania that this is the WORST time of the year to schedule this itinerary, the "whizz kids" in Miami have still persisted in scheduling an Australian circumnavigation WHEN 1. It is the cyclone season in Northern Waters and 2. The temperatures and humidity in Queensland, Northern Territory and Western Australia at that time of the year are absolutely crippling ; like 35 C plus with very high humidity .

The time for Australian circumnavigations are between May and October when the northern temperatures are more agreeable .

I can't say that the conditions are that bad as to be a stopper.

Most UK cruise lines, P&O and Cunard, circumnavigate or sail sectors, between January and March.

Indeed, in 2014 my wife and I circumnavigated the continent in February and were delighted with the weather...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/03/25/queen-mary-2-circumnavigates-australia-our-adventure/

13377273655_6c7d529ed3_z.jpg

Price is of course a different matter.

Temps are no different than those where we live currently nor I lot cooler than the 45 degree temps where I work.

Prices are relative... The 34 day cruise was 4K cheaper than the combine B to B -- Papeete - Auckland - Sydney itinerary it replaces.

But it is the wet season and the cyclone season up north in the summer. In the winter the weather up there is generally wonderful.

But what is the weather like in the South in Winter?

Besides and more importantly, the cruise has to fit into Regatta's overall schedule. She is in Alaska in June/July - how could she circumnavigate Australia then? Ditto for all ships - any itinerary has to fit into the greater picture.

Also, as majority of the passengers are from the Northern hemisphere (US/Canada, Europe), they want to get away to the warmer climates in THEIR winter (January/February) - in their summer (June/July) they will stick to Northern hemisphere.

Maybe doing it in March, like they are in 2017, is a good compromise?

Edited by Paulchili

After sailing from Bali to Sydney and later to NZ. I really did not notice more rain..outside Sydney.. Temps were the same to me anywhere. Only notice th difference in water temp. Much colder in Sydney. Heat is heat. 35 to40 the same anywhere.

I live in NC and it is bad here too, I would take AU over winter anytime

Temps are no different than those where we live currently nor I lot cooler than the 45 degree temps where I work.

Prices are relative... The 34 day cruise was 4K cheaper than the combine B to B -- Papeete - Auckland - Sydney itinerary it replaces.

45C is 113 F! Without factoring in humidity.

Edited by Tansy Mews
Changed to statement.

I think you are mistaken about the date

There are only two circumnavigations scheduled

March 2017 and December 2017

Live/Home in Florida and work somewhere where their is lots of sand. (and 45 is a cool day)

It would be useful if people noted the scale they are using. An early comment on this thread was talking Celsius - we also use that here in Canada. You are talking Fahrenheit. Big difference! Otherwise saying it is really cool when it is 45 only works in Fahrenheit. Not in Celsius. That was my point but I guess I was too subtle!

It would be useful if people noted the scale they are using. An early comment on this thread was talking Celsius - we also use that here in Canada. You are talking Fahrenheit. Big difference! Otherwise saying it is really cool when it is 45 only works in Fahrenheit. Not in Celsius. That was my point but I guess I was too subtle!

No I think they meant C, I'm guessing they work with furnaces or kilns of some type, maybe glass making.

But what is the weather like in the South in Winter?

Besides and more importantly, the cruise has to fit into Regatta's overall schedule. She is in Alaska in June/July - how could she circumnavigate Australia then? Ditto for all ships - any itinerary has to fit into the greater picture.

Also, as majority of the passengers are from the Northern hemisphere (US/Canada, Europe), they want to get away to the warmer climates in THEIR winter (January/February) - in their summer (June/July) they will stick to Northern hemisphere.

Maybe doing it in March, like they are in 2017, is a good compromise?

This overall schedule is obviously the issue.

It is winter here in Sydney. Today there is not a cloud in the sky, it is about 18 Celsius but will go down to maybe 10 tonight. But we had a wet week recently and also a winter heatwave another week.

I suppose weather is very much a matter of choice. I do not like hot weather and would much prefer to sightsee in cooler weather.

None of our coastal cities get snow, except for the occasional fall in Hobart which becomes a big media event!

45C is 113 F! Without factoring in humidity.

Yep, she said after that that she simply could not endure anothe summer up there. You may have aircon in your house but you still have to be outside at times. So she ended up in central Queensland but at least it is a dry heat there.

Those that have cruised with me know I Spend a considerable amount of work time in the sandbox aka Middle East. And as a Engineer I seldom use F scale. Sorry for the confusion.

That would have been my 2nd guess, but the live in fooled me.

Those that have cruised with me know I Spend a considerable amount of work time in the sandbox aka Middle East. And as a Engineer I seldom use F scale. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, I thought your sandbox was Florida! We went to Petra, Jordan and found the mid 40 C temperature unbearable. The 30'sC in India was comfortable after that.

Edited by Tansy Mews

The states is the only lace I know that still uses F over Cl my phone and iPad are in Celsius. It ben 28 to 32 here all summer. My med trip varied from 25 to 40. Now if I could only get my VW into Celsius I would be happy.

Regarding the price for the December Australia circumnavigation -- it begins just before Christmas/New Year holiday time which always increases the price on EVERY cruise line! Add the holiday overage to a 34-day itinerary and you will see why it is priced so high. If it sells like the March, 2017 trip has sold, you probably won't see any price reduction if that is what the OP is waiting for.

Billie

In late June we asked Oceania when they would schedule another circumnavigation of Australia, and we were told that they were waiting to see how the March cruise went. I suspect, as Billioe said, that this will sell out fast.

From my point of view, as a Canadian, I prefer 30C to 30F any day. This weather might not be perfect, but the timing is. We hope to talk to our TA tomorrow, and book a BB, going to New Zealand after.

I am super excited, as the only other alternative was going on the 4* Sun Princess.

Judy

Just did a quick price comparison with our PH2 on Sirena in March 2017 and it is up by 23%. Nevertheless I hope it does sell because we would like to see Oceania "down under" on a regular basis.

harryh

:)WE have just completed a leg from Shanghai to Sydney on Insignia which included Darwin, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Newcastle and Sydney. This was during April.

Yes it was hot and humid in Darwin, perfect for rest of cruise.

I have lived in North Queensland many years ago and live in SE Queensland now. Cyclones are very rare in April/May.

A circumnavigation of Australia is a scheduling issue for Oceania and other cruise lines. Most go through to Indonesia/Thailand etc. Also the southern part of Australia is approaching winter and quite rough seas.

That is why many cruise lines do not sail around the bottom of Australia or around NZ due to9 weather which is cold and seas are rough from say May to October and cruise the northern islands up from Australia.

So I guess one needs to accept the conditions are very different around Australia at any time of the year.

Yes, O is always expensive in its initial opening espec. for 2018. One just sits and waits for the reduction which will occur. Also if you are on a O cruise book on board and there is possibly the offer of you receiving the lower price when it occurs. we have this for 3 cruises we booked on board.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...