Medical Emergency Anthem of the Seas 8/10/16

I just posted in another subforum a few days ago that while I'm intrigued by Anthem's solo rooms, I'm developing a superstition about the ship--and I am not a superstitious person.

People die on cruise ships all of the time. I would imagine that there is not a single cruise ship sailing of size that hasn't had someone die onboard. My wife, who is a registered nurse (and more), along with a doctor and an EMT (all were just passengers on the cruise) performed CPR while on a cruise way back in 2000. The poor lady was dead when she collapsed to the floor. There was zero chance of saving her. I saw her right before she collapsed, and I thought "man she doesn't look healthy", I looked away and the next thing I heard was a loud thud.

In other words, as someone else posted, there are a lot of mature people on these ships, and the odds of thousands of people on board for days on end... Death is pretty much inevitable, not something that is supernatural.

JC

We just got off the cruise. The woman was in the pool when they assume she had a heart attack and was under water for several minutes. People were swimming over her and an off duty firefighter saw her and they pulled her out. A nurse started CPR while they waited for medical personal - another 10 minutes. She was purple when she was pulled and the passengers and crew did all that they could. The lack of ADR and lifeguards put people of all ages at risk. There are TONS of messages regarding keeping eyes on kids and now there are flotation devices but in this case as an adult it would not have mattered. On top of that the pools were not clear - I could not see clearly to the bottom and so my kids were not going in again.

The 2 other alphas are undetermined though we were near deck 6 when the second was called and there was a woman being led up the stairs hyperventilating. We can only presume they are related.

On top of this we were going down to deck 4 and were blocked because of a serious altercation - a man had pushed a woman down the stairs and people heard heated language and saw punching. The man was in cuffs and the woman on a backboard.

We were rushing back to port already - very fast- and we presume they wanted to remove the body and the man who was arrested as well as any other medical issues well before most passengers were awake.

It is a shame when people worry about the trivial - a 10 t shirt sale, cup sale or if they can make it on the elevator. We were pushed and shoved, hit and hip checked. So many rude people that I doubt I will be on another cruise.

Prayers for all involved and affected and especially for the crew that have to deal with everyone. Be kind - say thank you and remember we are all human.

So I just told DH that if I happen to die on board, please quietly put me on ice somewhere and allow the other cruisers to enjoy the rest of their cruise. Seriously, how cool to die doing something as enjoyable as a cruise. No disrespect meant to the deceased in this situation.

I get it - the entire family was on the cruise so they most likely ok'd the announcement. We saw them

People die on cruise ships all of the time. I would imagine that there is not a single cruise ship sailing of size that hasn't had someone die onboard. My wife, who is a registered nurse (and more), along with a doctor and an EMT (all were just passengers on the cruise) performed CPR while on a cruise way back in 2000. The poor lady was dead when she collapsed to the floor. There was zero chance of saving her. I saw her right before she collapsed, and I thought "man she doesn't look healthy", I looked away and the next thing I heard was a loud thud.

In other words, as someone else posted, there are a lot of mature people on these ships, and the odds of thousands of people on board for days on end... Death is pretty much inevitable, not something that is supernatural.

JC

I was mostly referring to some of the other trials and tribulations the Anthem has been through.

The captain announced we were going to speed up to get to Bayonne early due to a medical emergency. To my knowledge, that is all he said. There was no announcement on the person's condition.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We just got off the cruise. The woman was in the pool when they assume she had a heart attack and was under water for several minutes. People were swimming over her and an off duty firefighter saw her and they pulled her out. A nurse started CPR while they waited for medical personal - another 10 minutes. She was purple when she was pulled and the passengers and crew did all that they could. The lack of ADR and lifeguards put people of all ages at risk. There are TONS of messages regarding keeping eyes on kids and now there are flotation devices but in this case as an adult it would not have mattered. On top of that the pools were not clear - I could not see clearly to the bottom and so my kids were not going in again.

The 2 other alphas are undetermined though we were near deck 6 when the second was called and there was a woman being led up the stairs hyperventilating. We can only presume they are related.

On top of this we were going down to deck 4 and were blocked because of a serious altercation - a man had pushed a woman down the stairs and people heard heated language and saw punching. The man was in cuffs and the woman on a backboard.

We were rushing back to port already - very fast- and we presume they wanted to remove the body and the man who was arrested as well as any other medical issues well before most passengers were awake.

It is a shame when people worry about the trivial - a 10 t shirt sale, cup sale or if they can make it on the elevator. We were pushed and shoved, hit and hip checked. So many rude people that I doubt I will be on another cruise.

Prayers for all involved and affected and especially for the crew that have to deal with everyone. Be kind - say thank you and remember we are all human.

I am quite surprised this happened as described. My son and I were using this pool quite a bit the day before. It's only 5-feet deep and compared to the outdoor zoo pool, this one was clear. I also noticed pool deck attendants watching the pool like a hawk the entire time and enforcing pool rules.

Edited by CapnKimo

Passenger moved to medical center after 30 mins of compressions by pool with staff doing compressions the whole way. Family being paged.

30 Minutes of compressions by the pool with a medical center just a few decks down?:confused:

If were you, would you expect them to stop and transport you the 5 or 10 minutes it would take to get there?

You don't stop during the transport you continue as best you can. Last week we had someone go down in the hospital cafeteria. CPR was begun and they were transported to the ER as soon as the team arrived. I've seen what is available in the ships' medical centers. They are quite impressive.

Honestly, after 30 minutes of CPR out on deck it is probably best to not survive as what is left of brain function would leave a person a far cry from what they were before the incident except in some very specific cases.

We just returned from this cruise as well. The second alpha call was for an elderly gentleman who fell getting off the elevator. He was in a lot of pain and complained that his hip was not right. Praying for him and his family.

We were also on this cruise and never heard any announcements about the passengers health other than the fact we were speeding up to get back to Bayonne early due to a medical emergency. Was it this woman, I do not know. There were so many rumors floating around the ship, all very diferent, and most were positive their story was correct. I came here to see if there was any concrete info.

Prayers to the family.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I am quite surprised this happened as described. My son and I were using this pool quite a bit the day before. It's only 5-feet deep and compared to the outdoor zoo pool, this one was clear. I also noticed pool deck attendants watching the pool like a hawk the entire time and enforcing pool rules.

That is the pool we used also - kids were jumping in and flipping over adults. Pool attendant would walk down and ask them to stop but they didn't. I asked them where their parents were and surprise - they were in the solarium. Luckily my teacher look and voice stopped them - the pool attendant had no power.

We dropped our googles and could barely see them with all the splashing and the cloudiness of the pool. We stayed with our kids the whole time and they could not be in the pool without us - other kids were unsupervised- even with the signs.

The people who told me what happened were sitting on the edge of the pool and they didnt see her until someone pointed her out.

You don't stop during the transport you continue as best you can. Last week we had someone go down in the hospital cafeteria. CPR was begun and they were transported to the ER as soon as the team arrived. I've seen what is available in the ships' medical centers. They are quite impressive.

Honestly, after 30 minutes of CPR out on deck it is probably best to not survive as what is left of brain function would leave a person a far cry from what they were before the incident except in some very specific cases.

We saw the family with the medical staff - they were thanking them and saying what a great job they did - this could not be easy on anyone involved.

In remembrance:

We are a 'cruiser community' and as such when one of our fellow cruisers passes away especially during a cruise, we as 'cruiser community' members mourn the loss of that fellow cruise member.

We also mourn for their families and loved ones and we support them with kindness and compassion as our 'cruise community' would mourn and support any of us in our time of need.

With our sincere condolences.

Signed,

oldguysandgalls

Well said and AMEN

My thoughts go out to the family and friends of this poor person but why do we feel the need to post and discuss on here.

If this was a member of my family or close friend I would be so upset to know that the sadness was being discussed by a bunch of strangers no matter what your good intentions or morbid fascination may be.

You might feel that way, but doesn't mean that family does.

People someone has died and there are other emergencies being reported please post respectively for the families.

Forums

Who has been disrespectful? I don't think anyone has.

My thoughts go out to the family and friends of this poor person but why do we feel the need to post and discuss on here.

If this was a member of my family or close friend I would be so upset to know that the sadness was being discussed by a bunch of strangers no matter what your good intentions or morbid fascination may be.

I'm with you. What relevance does this have? 3000 people on a ship, old out of shape Americans, 7 days, odds are somebody is going down. This gets posted, and everybody makes themselves feel better offering "prayers".

People die. Every day. Get used to it.

So I just told DH that if I happen to die on board, please quietly put me on ice somewhere and allow the other cruisers to enjoy the rest of their cruise. Seriously, how cool to die doing something as enjoyable as a cruise. No disrespect meant to the deceased in this situation.

I sort of feel that way. I wouldn't want anyone to be unhappy for me. They should have a drink that I had a good life. I died doing what I loved to do. Cremate me and sprinkle my ashes overboard. That is our wish anyway. Nothing morbid about it, unfortunately it is a fact of life.

For the others who make comments about people worrying over drink packages and other trivial things, what are people supposed to do, worry about death and dying? :rolleyes:

Edited by ReneeFLL

I sort of feel that way. I wouldn't want anyone to be unhappy for me. They should have a drink that I had a good life. I died doing what I loved to do. Cremate me and sprinkle my ashes overboard. That is our wish anyway. Nothing morbid about it, unfortunately it is a fact of life.

For the others who make comments about people worrying over drink packages and other trivial things, what are people supposed to do, worry about death and dying? :rolleyes:

Exactly!

We too were on the cruise and all we heard was that we were speeding up due to a medical emergency. Unfortunately, my son witnessed them performing CPR poolside on her. So sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

Hope it's not traumatic for your son.

We saw the family with the medical staff - they were thanking them and saying what a great job they did - this could not be easy on anyone involved.

No one said it was easy on anyone. I've been practicing medicine now for more years than I like to admit. It never gets easy. I have also had first hand experience with a cardiac arrest on board a ship when someone went down no more than 30 feet away from me in the solarium. It is very difficult.

I've also been told my ship physicians that it is not uncommon to have at least one person pass on during a cruise. A lot of people with chronic medical issues decompensate with the changes in routine, food, sleep, stress, etc., etc....

I would think that announcing to the passengers information about someone's health issues would be a HIPAA violation. Similar scenario occurred on a cruise we took 2 years ago where someone started bleeding out by the pool. Pt was intubated poolside, taken to the medical facility, then came the overhead announcements asking for blood donors. This unfortunate gentleman did not survive either, but no announcement was made- I happened to find out privately.

Another thought is about the poor Anthem- I love that ship, but she seems to be a bit cursed. An inordinate amount of adverse events have occurred in her short tenure at sea. Hope her luck improves.

Sending prayers for that family, and hoping that she makes it back to Bayonne in time.

It is not a violation of HIPPA (which by the way was originally intended to ease health insurance availability) what would be a violation would be to announce the name of someone.