inside cabin

wendy wu

hi am doing my first cruise next year and its all booked. My only concern is i have booked due to finance inside cabin, no window but larger type room with TUI Discovery 1. I am now worried that having no window and no natural light is going to be a problem. i like to sleep in the dark so no issue with that but is the lighiting in these rooms sufficient enough for general use. I am readiing stories of travellers saying how awful it is to have no window etc and am thinking have i made a mistake? we dont plan on spending that much time in the room but can understand how the darkness constantly would have an affect on getting up in the morning etc with no light to gauge what time it is so to speak. am i worrying over nothing?

hi am doing my first cruise next year and its all booked. My only concern is i have booked due to finance inside cabin, no window but larger type room with TUI Discovery 1. I am now worried that having no window and no natural light is going to be a problem. i like to sleep in the dark so no issue with that but is the lighiting in these rooms sufficient enough for general use. I am readiing stories of travellers saying how awful it is to have no window etc and am thinking have i made a mistake? we dont plan on spending that much time in the room but can understand how the darkness constantly would have an affect on getting up in the morning etc with no light to gauge what time it is so to speak. am i worrying over nothing?

I wouldn't have one, others love them.

I guess by the time you get home you will know how you feel about them.

Like you we always have an inside cabin; it's our compromise to being able to afford to cruise more often. Whilst I'm not familiar with your ship I would say that we have never had any problems with the lighting in the cabin. We do, however, always leave the bathroom light on as being of a certain age both DH and I often need to use the facilities during the night :eek: :D

Some people leave the tv switched on the webcam channel so that as the dawn breaks light appears in the cabin. Maybe this would work for you?

Don't fret. As you have said, you are barely in the cabin anyway. BTW we have been upgraded to a balcony and it was brilliant, but we are just happy to be onboard so don't care if the cabin is an inside.

Enjoy your cruise

thanks for that it was helpful and yes leaving the bathroom light on is an excellent idea! i tend to wake before my husband and i know that i will be fumbling around in the dark and turning lights on will only wake him as well so bathroom light is a good idea! i am hearing alot about people upgrading is this cheaper to do when you board the ship or something?

Edited by wendy wu

We almost always cruise with inside cabins, for the lower price. It's not a problem for us.

I don't leave the bathroom light on....too bright when the door is opened. But I do bring along a battery-operated tealight "candle" that is quite dim, but bright enough to see where you're going in the bathroom.

Plus, we have found that a little light seeps under and around the door to the corridor....just enough to let you see where you're walking as you get up to go to the bathroom.

Edited by terri-eddie

Hi Wendy. Our very first cruise was an inside cabin also. The good thing about this, is you don't realize the difference! We had no problem at all and we also kept the bathroom light on with the door cracked open just a little bit. Don't fret over it. As far as upgrades, I don't think many cruise lines do this "on board", but if you watch for "price drops" on your cruise line website, you may be able to upgrade.

We alternate between balcony cabins and inside cabins depending on itinerary and other factors. I'm more than happy with an inside cabin and we're just about to do our third long (17+ nights) in one. We're only ever in our cabin to sleep, shower and change for dinner.

As others have said, there is often light leakage around the cabin door. I use a book light when I want to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, it's so low-powered it doesn't wake me up to much. The battery-powered tea-light is also a good idea except they flicker which annoys me.

There's no different from being inside your inside cabin then being in the hallway or on the promenade (if the ship has one), there's no natural light there either and people never think about it.

We have had inside, outside and balcony cabins. We only book outside and balcony cabins when we find bargains.

We've sailed in both inside and balcony staterooms, and its dark in both! I bring along a small pushbutton flashlight that stays right next to my bedside and I use it if I have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. The floor space around the beds is tight, so the flashlight helps in ANY stateroom to make sure I don't stub my toe! It also is the perfect amount of light for the bathroom when late at night, so I don't get that bright light in my eyes using the regular light.

Hi Wendy

There are plenty of lights. You will be able to make the cabin bright or dim...whatever you choose.

Leaving the bathroom light on works. The light is bright but if you close the door you will get just a dim light from that direction. Depending on the ship you might also get some light coming from under the main cabin door.

As was said a small tea light works. The TV outdoor/lido deck webcam can show you what it's like outside when you do get up. If you keep your watch or cell phone or travel alarm on your bedside table, you will be able to tell the time, no problem.

have a great cruise

We alternate between balcony cabins and inside cabins depending on itinerary and other factors. I'm more than happy with an inside cabin and we're just about to do our third long (17+ nights) in one. We're only ever in our cabin to sleep, shower and change for dinner.

As others have said, there is often light leakage around the cabin door. I use a book light when I want to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, it's so low-powered it doesn't wake me up to much. The battery-powered tea-light is also a good idea except they flicker which annoys me.

We take a couple of battery-operated candles (from Target, etc.) and place one on the coffee table and also in the bathroom. They don't flicker, and add nice atmosphere and safety at night. Good for interior and balcony staterooms. :)

We always have inside cabins, never leave a light on ,unless necessary.........best sleeping fortnight of the year generally.

Usually after the first night, you can negotiate your way in the dark easily!!!........If not, then the advice already given is generally good!!!

The biggest point, (as you yourselves pointed out) and fully agree with is, you don't spend a lot of time in the cabin (if you're like us, there is far to much to do), So why pay loads more, for a balcony, when you can use it for countless other things, and still have a great cruise!!

Hope you enjoy it loads, and stop worrying!!

Steve n Wendy

If you like to sleep in the dark, you won't have issues with lights. There should be light by the entrance door, 2 lights by the bed, one on each side. Also light(s) by the desk to put makeup on, your TV will give an additional light - and it will have a channel that shows the view of the cam outside.

If you worry about waking up your husband, you can leave the bathroom or closet light on, or bring a night light that you can plug in.

I think it's a good idea to start with an interior cabin and then move up to OV/balcony on subsequent cruises if you felt like you were missing something on your first cruise. Better, in my opinion, than splurging on your first cruise and then feeling like you can't "downgrade" from that.

Keep the bow cam channel or the ship navigation channel on the whole time you're awake. First thing in the morning you can flip on the bow cam and see if it's light outside and what time it is. I keep the bathroom light on with the door closed. It's fine. Just booked one for 15 days :)

I think it's a good idea to start with an interior cabin and then move up to OV/balcony on subsequent cruises if you felt like you were missing something on your first cruise. Better, in my opinion, than splurging on your first cruise and then feeling like you can't "downgrade" from that.

We splurged on our first cruise - Yacht Club on MSC Preziosa. It was brilliant!

Since then we have cruised twice with 'downgraded' inside cabins and had just as great a cruise. I find I get awesome sleep in inside cabins and we spend so little time in them that it's not worth spending the additional unless it's a good deal.

Our next two cruises are oceanviews simply because there was little price difference once we factored in increased perks.

i am hearing alot about people upgrading is this cheaper to do when you board the ship or something?

upgrading the day of is pretty much never an option. best time to see about getting one is after final payment has passed and everyone who decided to not cruise after all has canceled, leaving more cabins suddenly available. but it may not actually be cost effective to do so. also keep in mind that generally speaking, you pay the difference between what you regionally paid and the current rate and any sales going on now are typically for new bookings only.

I personally will not only never do an inside, I will ONLY do a balcony and vastly prefer suites overall. to the point that if we cannot afford a suite, we don't cruise period. I don't need to cruise every year or more, so i am content with going 2-3 years between trips.

Lots of interesting views and insights for insides. We've book our first inside because for the extra cost a balcony does not make sense for our Alaska cruise. Last time we did Alaska we spent way more time in public spaces and seldom on the balcony.

We also learned that for mid-June to Alaska it stays light out really late - like 1am. Never really gets dark and I prefer total blackout for sleeping. We too keep a little LED flashlight by the bedside. The comments about light under the door are concerning - probably have to stuff towels along the bottom of the door. The little power light on the cable box in our bedroom bothered me so much I put electrical tape over it. :rolleyes:

My parents always did insides and were fine with that - even after we "upgraded" them by surprise for the 60th anniversary. So we figured we should try it at least once to compare. Now that we live near a port we plan to cruise more often and the savings on insides could allow that.

We were in an inside cabin for our first cruise and it wasn't bad. It was nice and dark during the evenings and early morning and the cabin lights inside were bright enough for us during the day. You could always bring a night light though, if you don't want to leave the bathroom light on, that way if you're up in the middle of the night you're not tripping over things :)

I can agree with some of the other posters, in regards to financially saving the $$$ on the cabin, gives you more to spend on excursions, etc. Our second sailing we went with a balcony, similar time of year + same western caribbean cruise on the same ship and we paid almost $500 more (for the 4 of us).

Edited by Dearabby_84

We like inside cabins....great for naps! We also do the battery-operated candle trick.

Some ships (Pride, Legend, and Miracle) have cabins with French Doors available for the price of an inside cabins. You can open the doors for fresh air. Other ships have porthole cabins if you want natural light for an inside price.

Edited by VASOXFANN