New to Celebrity

mikesal

My wife and I are Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean and we booked our 1st Celebrity Cruise (Solstice Sept.2). We were given Elite status. How does this status compare to Diamond Plus? Has anybody done this and are the benefits as good?

Just wanted to add, in case anyone else might be wondering, that reciprocal status ends at the Diamond/Elite level. i.e. Regardless of whether you are diamond, diamond+ or pinnacle, you will only be granted elite status on Celebrity, not elite+. Likewise, Elite+ on Celebrity will only be granted diamond status on RC, not diamond+

Another reminder: Points cannot be combined. So in the OP's case for example (currently D+ on RC), they will not earn additional points toward RC's Pinnacle status when they sail on Celebrity.

Edited by waterbug123

Celebrity has some benefits that for us are better than Royal and Royal has some benefits we enjoy.

There is no equivalent to the Diamond Lounge on Celebrity ships. The cocktail hour is 5-7 and is held in one of the lounges. The Captain Club breakfast is held in one of the speciality restaurants. You will get a letter in your cabin with the locations as well as any Captains Club events, eg wine tasting.

My wife and I are Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean and we booked our 1st Celebrity Cruise (Solstice Sept.2). We were given Elite status. How does this status compare to Diamond Plus? Has anybody done this and are the benefits as good?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. We feel the perks excellent are comparable. Correction...we are diamond on RCCL.

Edited by davekathy

We absolutely loved going to the Sky Lounge at night for the VIP party. Views were awesome-like Viking Crown on Royal. Staff were so friendly!!! Went up there every night before dinner.

Our first RCCL was in 1990 on the Empress, (which is back!) last was the Freedom in 2011, we are Diamond.

Our First Celebrity was in 1994, finally reached Elite in 2014, last 3 years on X.

As mentioned there is nothing like the dedicated Diamond Lounge.

The on ship products of each have their own nuisances that are good.

Think Theme Park (RCCL) when the evening Atrium party is going on, it is not really enjoyable to sit in Vintages wanting to enjoy a quiet glass of wine, vs Country Club (Celebrity) which has begun to copy Royal with evening entertainment in their Atrium. But you can find quite a few quite lounges and bars away from the hustle n bustle.

There will be a set of coupons on the bed when you get to the cabin with one for each of the on ship benefits. There will be a letter with the dates and times and how to attend the Elite events. If any questions come up, there is a dedicated Capt Club Host/Hostess on board that are the most wonderful staff members to deal with. They can get most any issue taken care of quickly.

EW

Last time I was on RCCL on the Explorer there were certain seating areas around the pool which were reserved for Diamond members. In addition there were seating areas in the theater reserved for Diamond members.

I have not noticed this around the pool or in the theater on any of the Celebrity ships I have been on. I may be wrong but that was my observation.

I am not Elite or Diamond status but the one thing that does bother me is some people who are Diamond or Elite treat the other passengers on the ship as if they were steerage passengers. If you want that kind of thinking people can go on Cunard.

Suite passengers pay more and deserve the privileges they get on board.

Enjoy your perks, you've earned them and deserve them. I just ask that the Diamonds and Elite treat their fellow passengers with the common decency they should be shown.

After all, we're all "in the same boat".

We're Diamond on RCCL and will be going on our first Celebrity cruise. We will be considered Elite on Celebrity. We rarely attend the Diamond lounge. We prefer the 3 free drinks. We don't take advantage of the room for breakfast for Diamond. We use the discount for balcony cabins, but often there is a sales promotion that basically means a new cruiser gets the same price when booking and you can no longer combine discounts. On the last cruise out of Galveston they didn't have a dedicated disembarkation area for Diamond members. That wouldn't have bothered us except there wasn't enough room in the area everyone was sent to and there was no seating.They were also running behind so we stood, stood and finally sat on the floor until they released us to disembark. There was no dedicated line for Diamond and above at Guest Services, although I've always stayed away from that because I've seen people get ugly about this perk. As Diamond, you used to get $10 off the $30 cost of the bag of laundry on a 7-night cruise. That only applies to 8 nights or longer now. I don't use the BOGO free milkshake coupon at Johnny Rockets. We use the internet coupon. We decided that w/o the balcony discount we could branch out and try a new line since the benefits have shrunk over the past few years. Our TA told us about a promo where we get the four perks (internet, OBC, gratuities and drink pkg) and that Celebrity will be in the Caribbean for the summer. We decided there was no time like the present to try out Celebrity. We can't wait to compare.

I am not Elite or Diamond status but the one thing that does bother me is some people who are Diamond or Elite treat the other passengers on the ship as if they were steerage passengers.".

I have been reading this in posts for years. I have been on a few Celebrity cruises, but I must be fortunate. I have never been a witness to this. If this happened to you, I am very sorry it did. :)

Edited by Texed

To us it appeared the Celebrity reciprocity from Diamond on RCL to Elite on Celebrity, Celebrity was a bit better.

I am not Elite or Diamond status but the one thing that does bother me is some people who are Diamond or Elite treat the other passengers on the ship as if they were steerage passengers. If you want that kind of thinking people can go on Cunard.

I just ask that the Diamonds and Elite treat their fellow passengers with the common decency they should be shown.

Just curious.... how have you actually been treated differently by other pax? You really can't tell someone's status just by looking at them. I've seen someone try to pull rank with a staffer at guest relations a time or two ("I'm such and such status so you need to do X for me....", but I've never witnessed a passenger treating another passenger as if they were in steerage.

I do from time to time read comments here from people who say things like "Passengers with such and such status think they're so much better than lower status pax" but those types of comments usually appear to stem from a self-imposed sense of inferiority or envy over a higher status.

but I've never witnessed a passenger treating another passenger as if they were in steerage.

We have never seen this either, but that does not mean it will not happen.:D

Our last 2 Equinox sailings had around 500 Capt Club members on each cruise.

EW

We have never seen this either, but that does not mean it will not happen.:D

Our last 2 Equinox sailings had around 500 Capt Club members on each cruise.

EW

We have observed that type of behavior only once and the result was hilarious:

On our last transatlantic a dozen or so passengers, including DW and me, were standing in line at the Shore Excursions Desk. A woman walked past us to the front of line and waited for the next available customer service person. A few of us barked out "back of the line" or "the line starts back here".

No response from the woman.

Someone tapped the woman on her shoulder and kindly suggested there were several people in line before her and she should wait her turn.

The woman snapped "I am Elite!" The other person responded "so are half the people on the ship. Back of the line!"

We all laughed and self-important person left. :)

Bow before me insolent human! :p

erwnv265miqqe7yrwq3g.jpg

Just curious.... how have you actually been treated differently by other pax? You really can't tell someone's status just by looking at them. I've seen someone try to pull rank with a staffer at guest relations a time or two ("I'm such and such status so you need to do X for me....", but I've never witnessed a passenger treating another passenger as if they were in steerage.

I do from time to time read comments here from people who say things like "Passengers with such and such status think they're so much better than lower status pax" but those types of comments usually appear to stem from a self-imposed sense of inferiority or envy over a higher status.

Again, as the other poster said, it happened to me a few times where passengers have stated that they are Diamond and then want to go to the front of the line. Intentionally mentioning their status on elevators in conversations out loud and then a series of complaints follows.

I don't have an inferiority complex nor do I have a sense of envy of them.

I have my own little joke as I call them "cruise snobs" to myself when they behave that way. Maybe they're crotchety by nature anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I've met a lot of nice people who had Diamond status. My best recollection was Tom and his wife from Massachusetts who were staying in a beautiful suite. They invited us up for drinks. My wife told her she was going to swim with the Dolphins and said "Why don't you come along?" They hit it off and we spent a lot of time together. Tom's big highlight moment was playing volleyball in the pool with the officers, being he was about 6 foot 5. This happened on Serenade OTS. He had absolutely no sense of superiority, just happy to be able to get away from his stressful family

business on a regular basis.

Anyway, you will enjoy your cruise with Celebrity.

Edited by NordicPrince

Intentionally mentioning their status on elevators in conversations out loud and then a series of complaints follows.

So they aren't actually speaking TO you, you are just overhearing their conversation? Not sure how that counts as treating you as if you're in steerage. They don't know what your status is so so how would they know if you are a lower loyalty level or a higher one?

Now, if looked at you and sneered and asked your status, and then when you answered they asked you to get off and take the next elevator so they wouldn't have to ride with you since you aren't at their level, that would be different. :D

I have one. While sharing a table during dinner (Select Dining), the wife of a couple started bragging about their status. How they were able to have breakfast in a special area only for Elite status and their cocktail hour and the fact that they got their laundry done at no charge.

The look on her face when I walked into breakfast at Tuscan the next day was priceless.

But honestly, that was the only time I ever heard someone tout their status. Sad actually.

So they aren't actually speaking TO you, you are just overhearing their conversation? Not sure how that counts as treating you as if you're in steerage. They don't know what your status is so so how would they know if you are a lower loyalty level or a higher one?

Now, if looked at you and sneered and asked your status, and then when you answered they asked you to get off and take the next elevator so they wouldn't have to ride with you since you aren't at their level, that would be different. :D

As you say.

Last time I was on RCCL on the Explorer there were certain seating areas around the pool which were reserved for Diamond members. In addition there were seating areas in the theater reserved for Diamond members.

I have not noticed this around the pool or in the theater on any of the Celebrity ships I have been on. I may be wrong but that was my observation.

Suite passengers pay more and deserve the privileges they get on board.

Enjoy your perks, you've earned them and deserve them. I just ask that the Diamonds and Elite treat their fellow passengers with the common decency they should be shown.

After all, we're all "in the same boat".

These areas are not for diamond, they are actually for gold card members, suite guests only.....

It usually is about perception; no one was there except the poster, so this is semantics. JMHO. :)