Automatic Gratuities

So no one said they can't afford it. You just think they can't? I'm confused here. :confused: If the cruise line wanted to make it non-optional they could do so.

You seem personally offended by my viewpoint. Sorry you're so upset about the assumption a person can't afford a trip if they are upset over an extra $100. I'm simply making the suggestion that people should evaluate whether they are spending beyond their means. Perhaps they should look at sailing a different week, or a different ship, or a shorter cruise, or waiting another year, rather than asking to remove their tips to make room in the budget.

If someone removes the tips because they think the amount is a lot, and then claims they are tipping in cash instead, does anyone really believe they're tipping more than the automatic gratuities? I highly doubt they are. And why do they think they are a better evaluator of who should get the tips for the service they receive than the people who actually know all the work and all the people who went into providing that service? Tipping the waiter doesn't take care of all the other people those auto-gratuities are supposed to cover. Removing them isn't making any kind of stand against the practice, you're just screwing people over.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cruise lines do eventually make them mandatory, or eliminate them and just increase the fares a bit more. I'd be ok with that, and think it's a better idea since it will keep people from removing them in the first place. I'd rather pay more money so everyone gets paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never complaind about $507 ,just said it wasn't measly,if you think it is measly that's your opinion.Never said I couldn't afford my cruise.

And good on you for having a checking account,you must be made up...

$507 is good money, but honestly, if you're including it in the cost for FOUR or even five people to travel for the week....its measly. The fact that you defensively bring it up as though the gratuities are adding a big chunk of money when to your trip, then you didn't get the point, which is that the $500 or $507 or whatever it is, is considered part of the cost of the vacation. If that $500 makes a difference between you thinking the trip is affordable or not affordable (or

You actually think your family of 4 should be served and fed for less than $100 a week), then you probably shouldn't cruise. $500, for a family of 4, is NOTHING in the scheme of the costs to provide for a family for that many days.

It brings me back to my point: why should the clients be made to feel responsible for assuring that the staff make a living wage? This should be the employer's responsibility, and if it means increasing the rates, then that's what they should do. But it is what it is and I am too cowardly to go to the service desk and ask them to remove them from my account, even though that's exactly what everyone should do to let the cruise lines know that we are NOT ok with this practice!!!

Customers shouldn't be made to feel responsible. However I don't think removing the automatic tips will change the practice. So I leave them on. I won't make the workers suffer on a cruise I take because of the way their employers do business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frankly I have no clue why I should care about the person who washes my towels since I have no clue if he is doing good or bad job. Tip is a tip for good service and I would like to see the service before I tip.

I do auto-tip and that's it. Nothing more since it has been pre-decided by the cruise line to be like that. Why cannot that 100usd per week be straightforwardly added to the cost like taxes and port fees, is beyond my comprehension. It would make everybody's life so much easier. That's how it is done in most European counties and we can live (and cruise) with this system. Our servers and waiters live with their wages and we still can afford to eat in restaurants and get served.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with you. It should be included in the cruise price and listed in the billing. I believe they just do it the way it is done to make the cruise price seem cheaper that it is. I also see this deceptive practice when they list the cruise price and then add "plus port tax and other fees". Please give me the total amount up front. Don't play games with me. Include all taxes, fees and gratuities -- that is the true cost of the cruise.

$507 is good money, but honestly, if you're including it in the cost for FOUR or even five people to travel for the week....its measly. The fact that you defensively bring it up as though the gratuities are adding a big chunk of money when to your trip, then you didn't get the point, which is that the $500 or $507 or whatever it is, is considered part of the cost of the vacation. If that $500 makes a difference between you thinking the trip is affordable or not affordable (or

You actually think your family of 4 should be served and fed for less than $100 a week), then you probably shouldn't cruise. $500, for a family of 4, is NOTHING in the scheme of the costs to provide for a family for that many days.

I think you are missing the point. People book cruises based on the fare per person. Then taxes are added and the gratuities. It really does disguise the actual cost of a cruise. It is done on purpose to sell all the cabins. The hidden costs of a cruise do add up. It is not surprising to me that some families when they see the total remove the gratuities when they find out they can. The real costs of a cruise are not transparent.

I told a family that removed the gratuities about the crew depending on those gratuities and they didn't believe me. They could not believe the cruise line operated that way. They thought there would be laws against it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Lets try again,1 $507,2 family of 3,3,13 nights.You assume i dont or wont pay grats,You assume i cannot afford my cruise,if i were you i would look at your checking account because your not very good with numbers.

See this is where you are wrong. The $507 is gratuities. The OP has already paid his cruise fare which I think we would all assume is covering the cost of feeding him and providing a bed etc. The $507 is an additional cost that has nothing to do with him eating or sleeping apart from the person who might serve them their food or make up their room. But thats it.

I can always remove the gratuities and tip the way I want, can't I? :D And I think their employees are doing just fine.

But it's not really about gratuities, it's about the company's ethics. If you think they steal -as you have stated - then it's wrong to support them. Any company that I was prepared to publicly state was not to be trusted would never see one cent of my money.

You seem personally offended by my viewpoint. Sorry you're so upset about the assumption a person can't afford a trip if they are upset over an extra $100. I'm simply making the suggestion that people should evaluate whether they are spending beyond their means. Perhaps they should look at sailing a different week, or a different ship, or a shorter cruise, or waiting another year, rather than asking to remove their tips to make room in the budget.

If someone removes the tips because they think the amount is a lot, and then claims they are tipping in cash instead, does anyone really believe they're tipping more than the automatic gratuities? I highly doubt they are. And why do they think they are a better evaluator of who should get the tips for the service they receive than the people who actually know all the work and all the people who went into providing that service? Tipping the waiter doesn't take care of all the other people those auto-gratuities are supposed to cover. Removing them isn't making any kind of stand against the practice, you're just screwing people over.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cruise lines do eventually make them mandatory, or eliminate them and just increase the fares a bit more. I'd be ok with that, and think it's a better idea since it will keep people from removing them in the first place. I'd rather pay more money so everyone gets paid.

No, just prefer discussions based on facts rather than throwing accusations out there and seeing what sticks. You said people that removed automatic gratuities did so because they couldn't afford them. You then said people do it and don't give any cash. I asked you to point me to where you read that. If you want a conversation, do it on facts. If you just want to make things up, well, can't help you out with that.

do you even read cruise critic. :eek: :D ;)

I keep hoping adults would use facts, reasoning, logic, and a civil tone. But then again, it is 2016 in America and look at our two leading candidates for the highest office in the land, so...

I keep hoping adults would use facts, reasoning, logic, and a civil tone. But then again, it is 2016 in America and look at our two leading candidates for the highest office in the land, so...

People like to think things were somehow different/better yesteryear, but you could go back 10 years, pull out a thread here on CC and see that not much has changed.

Edited by Biker19

People like to think things were somehow different/better yesteryear, but you could back 10 years, pull out a thread here on CC and see that not much has changed.

You are probably correct. I don't think I've read a post of yours that I didn't substantively agree with. You see through a lot of the bull pucky.

Lol, ok. Maybe you just don't like having it pointed out that the real problem here is that people are trying to nickel and dime their way to being able to pay for a vacation that they really can't afford. Sorry if that hit a nerve, but if you're starting to feel your wallet pinched because of $100 or $500, then maybe you should just stay home, save for another year, and then go on your cruise when you can afford all the expenses that go with it, instead of trying to make all the people on the ship serve you for free because you can't afford to pay for your trip.

Are you just making this stuff up as you go along? The OP clearly stated that he/she planned on tipping old school way and generously too, never said anything about not being able to afford the tips. If the cruise line is giving the option of removing the tips and people choose to tip their own way, it's clearly their option, they don't need some pretentious tip **** telling them how to tip.

I think that the people who remove the tips and justify that they like to tip each person that serves them is not fooling anyone, but maybe themselves. There are so many people behind the scenes that get some of the on board gratuities. By canceling the gratuities and paying in cash is probably saving themselves some $$$. I highly doubt that they tip that much money to the ones that serve them directly. Who do you tip in the Windjammer? What about the people that clean up your message after you are done eating? I could go on and on about how many people work their butts off to make you cruise enjoyable.

For those who remove the gratuities, quit being a cheap skate and leave them. If you want to tip certain people extra then go right ahead, but don't stiff the hard workers that you don't see.

I keep reading about how part of the auto gratuities go to people you don't see, but on the lines that give a breakdown of tips (at least those I've boon on that did so) the breakdown is complete with little or nothing going to those you don't see.

I know these have probably changed but when Disney was $12 per day it was allocated toward dining room server ($4), assistant server ($3), head server ($1) and cabin steward ($4).

I can't lay my hand on the exact figures for Celebrity at the moment but they indicated that it covered your Waiter, Assistant Waiter, Dining Room management, and Cabin Steward and assistant, the dollar breakdown was given and only covered the above, no back room boys mentioned.