What is the USDA grade of beef at Crown Grill

Loreni

It's the hanging carrcas that is graded not the steaks. It's based on the age of the steer and how the fat is distributed ( marbling) There is very little difference in the top grades depending on how it's aged and cut. nobody but nobody freezes chubs They would take several weeks to thaw...... The funny thing to this old rancher how those high end steak houses take a great piece of meat and dry age all the fat right out of it.turning it to Commercial if that if it were to be graded. They are tender because of the age of the steer. They are flavorful because their 16 oz bone in rib would be a 24 -30 oz steak in normal cafe they shrink that much......

Princess cuts it's own meat in a pretty amazing operation. I've seen chubs and I've seen crxasses both. They know what they are cutting and to who.

For European cruises will Princes serve non-US steak, given that US steak imported into the EU must come from cattle that have not been hormone treated ?

That really doesn't matter as the steaks aren't served in an EU restaurant...

Just as the prime, choice etc rating really doesn't matter much. The USDA is now rating "cuts" just not carcasses and uses a different system based on "tenderness" Its now "Tender" "very Tender' etc. The "sterling silver corn fed beef" thing is the newest rating system for the USDA. It combines the Marbeling which is the carcass rating and the cut ratings. Theoretically the sterling silver corn fed beef thing provides the best meat.

But just like my daughter who honest to god has actually burned Jello, what ends up on your plate is depndent on a lot of factors. I had an Aunt who could get good gravy and a great taste from an old shoe.

Thank you all for your insight. I may have been mistaken when I said that land-based steakhouses disclose the grade of steak. After reading a WSJ article on steakhouses and checking some online menues, it seems they really can be quite deceptive. For example, "Prime" does not mean "USDA Prime" and "custom aged" does not mean "dry aged." Wet aging is cheaper but does not produce the same flavor. In some ways, Princess is more forthcoming than many of the well-known (and expensive) land-based steakhouses.

It also seems that some of this apparent deception is a recent trend. So where can I find a restaurant that serves USDA Prime, dry-aged steak to use as a current benchmark of quality. I would like to try the truly authentic experience and then try Crown Grill. I expect the Princess experience will be inferior, but if it is reasonably close, I may eat at Crown Grill once a year instead of land-based steakhouses.

Following my cariologist's advice, I rarely eat well-marbled steak (maybe once a year). But when I do, I let the experts prepare it...and I want it to be worth the risk. Now, I find that one of the steakhouses that I trusted has deceptive wording on the menu. (I do prepare free-range, grass-fed beef at home...but this is an entirely different animal so to speak...very lean and it requires special preparation methods that I have mastered. I also am lucky to know a rancher, so I have a good source.)

We have never been disappointed at the Crown Grill. Order whatever you wish and the amount of whatever. I prefer basic house salads which is not on menu. NO problem they make one for me. When 4 of us are dining the waiter brings out bowls of every veggie so we can test them all. Before setting you will view each of the cuts of meat and a good time to ask your questions. Enjoy

I worked for a packer, am ranch raised and have graded meat. It sure as hell isn't Prime, it's Choice. It is frozen and can be frozen down to 26 degrees and be called fresh. 51% of a cow has to be black to be called Angus. Holsteins, which are milk cows can be 51% Black and be called Angus by USDA Standards. Choice and Prime are grading labels and here are standards.

http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/ BTW/Trimmed means back fat on Prime cattle is trimmed off. They use it in Mcdonalds hamburgers along with spleen, lungs tongue cheek and leg trimming, to make them greasy. Mcdonalds hamburger is not just Ground Beef which by definition are 2 separate things.

http://www.naturalnews.com/041116_hamburgers_fast_food_meat_content.html

Don't read hotdog labels.

Does anyone know? Is is USDA prime, choice or select....or something else. It says it's Sterling Silver Corn Fed. I looked this up and only found that it is USDA certified very tender, but this is a new designation and does not indicate the USDA grade. Or if it does, I can't find it.

We are considering trying Crown Grill for the first time and do not want to let down as we were with Sabatini's.

Princess has increased the price to 29 dollars. Many people say that this is a fraction of the cost of a quality steakhouse on land, but land-based steakhouses generally disclose the grade of beef they are serving. Also, people are reporting that only very small lobster tails are being served. Is this another cutback or have they always been small. Or are they only small if one asks for surf and turf...so if one orders just the lobster tail would it be one large lobster tail. Are these warm water lobster tails?

Even if we cannot learn the USDA grade, have you been satisfied with the quality of the beef? It would be great to hear recent reports or see recent pictures of the different food options.

Look forward to your insight.

Here is what I can tell you......every time we cruise on Princess, we go to Crown Grill at least three times. It is really good and worth every penny of the $29 per person that you will pay. Now, as the previous poster stated...is it Peter Luger's....no it's not...you are in the middle of the ocean...it also doesn't come with a Peter Luger price either. You will be well pleased with your experience, and if you want to try multiple items you can because the $29 includes how ever many entrees you want. I usually get the fillet with a lobster tail on the side....yes they are small, but again, this is not Peter Lugers...if you want 5 lobster tails, ask for 5 and they will bring them to you at no additional charge.

Not trying to be a food snob, but----

If you are comparing the steak to NYC steak houses, like Peter Lugers, Palm, etc there is no comparison. The Steak on the ship is not nearly as good-therefore, I no longer go

You are in the middle of the ocean paying $29 a person....why in the world would you ever try and compare the Crown Grill to those places??? What in the world do you eat on the ship then if that is your comparison???

I have at least one CG filet every time I sail with Princess. It is always a good piece of meat as long as it is cooked as was ordered. The best I have ever had at sea was on the Allure in the Chops restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually have the fish or shrimp choices at Crown Grill. These are great, especially when washed down with Silverado Sauvignon Blanc.

Followed by the Crown Dependence dessert, it is all good.

I agree that it isn't fair to compare the steak to Morton's or Ruth Chris or other high end steak houses, where the bill is often $150 -and up.

Enjoy CG!

On the occasion when they did offer shrimp and Fillet Mignon in MDR I ordered a blue steak,each time it arrived as medium to well done......I sent two back.....them received a very nice small fillet Mignon Blue it was delicious no complaints then. I figure I am paying double the price for my meal as I travel solo so do not feel mean asking for the best...:D;)

Actually there is good meat in the kitchens on Princess after all it is such a huge organization they must get a decent discount from the suppliers.Who in turn keep quality fairly good for its frequent customers.As in all professions there are good chefs and bad in the kitchens of the world.:)

This is the first time I have heard this. What is your source?

Frozen or not, prime or choice...steaks I have ordered at Crown Grill have always been excellent.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Chengkp75 is/was the Chief Engineer on at least one cruise ship.

Does anyone know? Is is USDA prime, choice or select....or something else. It says it's Sterling Silver Corn Fed. I looked this up and only found that it is USDA certified very tender, but this is a new designation and does not indicate the USDA grade. Or if it does, I can't find it.

We are considering trying Crown Grill for the first time and do not want to let down as we were with Sabatini's.

Princess has increased the price to 29 dollars. Many people say that this is a fraction of the cost of a quality steakhouse on land, but land-based steakhouses generally disclose the grade of beef they are serving. Also, people are reporting that only very small lobster tails are being served. Is this another cutback or have they always been small. Or are they only small if one asks for surf and turf...so if one orders just the lobster tail would it be one large lobster tail. Are these warm water lobster tails?

Even if we cannot learn the USDA grade, have you been satisfied with the quality of the beef? It would be great to hear recent reports or see recent pictures of the different food options.

Look forward to your insight.

As the buyer(and part owner)of a large food service company, I found the beef to be of "select" and lower quality. Not bad, but certainly NOT "Prime" or even "choice" quality.

We think the meat at Crown Grill is pretty good--better than I buy/cook at home (choice but sometimes splurge for prime). Is it Ruth Chris? NO--but you aren't getting a steak with everything else for $29 (and I would think the budget for dinner is perhaps $10).

We were on a cruise with friends on HAL and ate at its steakhouse/specialty restaurant. Cost more and not as good as the Crown Grill. (But we thought the main dining room food was a little better than Princess, which has not been my HAL experience). What is funny to me, these people have a $20 per person limit when we eat out at home (and the wife has to ask permission to order a glass of wine)--always eat in the specialty restaurants aboard ship and were disappointed that we weren't willing to try more of them with you.

We think the meat at Crown Grill is pretty good--better than I buy/cook at home (choice but sometimes splurge for prime). Is it Ruth Chris? NO--but you aren't getting a steak with everything else for $29 (and I would think the budget for dinner is perhaps $10).

We were on a cruise with friends on HAL and ate at its steakhouse/specialty restaurant. Cost more and not as good as the Crown Grill. (But we thought the main dining room food was a little better than Princess, which has not been my HAL experience). What is funny to me, these people have a $20 per person limit when we eat out at home (and the wife has to ask permission to order a glass of wine)--always eat in the specialty restaurants aboard ship and were disappointed that we weren't willing to try more of them with you.

Cringe worthy...

When I ordered the Filet Mignon at both Crown Grill & Sabatini's, I found it to be rather tough. Not terrible, but more along the lines of a low end steak house like "Long Horn". The steaks were somewhat chewy. They should be tender enough to almost cut with a fork. On Celebrity/Cunard, they were that good quality. They came out rare, so over cooking was not the issue, just found it to be of "select" or lower quality. The seafood, however was very good to excellent.

People seem to be overlooking the fact that the $29 is a surcharge over what you've already paid in your cruise fare for the other free dining options that are available to you. So it's not the full price for the specialty restaurant meal.

As the buyer(and part owner)of a large food service company, I found the beef to be of "select" and lower quality. Not bad, but certainly NOT "Prime" or even "choice" quality.

According to Sterling's web site their beef is graded choice and prime. Is this the same beef Princess uses? They call some of their steak houses Sterling Steak House.

We have a local steakhouse that advertises Sterling beef and I have always found their steaks very good to excellent.

People seem to be overlooking the fact that the $29 is a surcharge over what you've already paid in your cruise fare for the other free dining options that are available to you. So it's not the full price for the specialty restaurant meal.

I guess that is technically true. The dinner you don't eat in the MDR cost you in your basic fare. I suppose, though, there's no reason someone couldn't eat in both places in one evening. :)

But you aren't paying much for each meal anyway.

Inside cabins sell from around $100 pp pd. That includes your cabin, transport and entertainment, then three meals a day, plus other meals you may have such as afternoon tea.

Even a balcony at about $200 pp pd split it all up and you can't be paying much per meal.