What is the USDA grade of beef at Crown Grill

Loreni

I worked for a packer, am ranch raised and have graded meat. It sure as hell isn't Prime, it's Choice. It is frozen and can be frozen down to 26 degrees and be called fresh. 51% of a cow has to be black to be called Angus. Holsteins, which are milk cows can be 51% Black and be called Angus by USDA Standards. Choice and Prime are grading labels and here are standards.

http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/ BTW/Trimmed means back fat on Prime cattle is trimmed off. They use it in Mcdonalds hamburgers along with spleen, lungs tongue cheek and leg trimming, to make them greasy. Mcdonalds hamburger is not just Ground Beef which by definition are 2 separate things.

http://www.naturalnews.com/041116_hamburgers_fast_food_meat_content.html

Don't read hotdog labels.

Welp, I guess I'll be skipping lunch now... :p

People seem to be overlooking the fact that the $29 is a surcharge over what you've already paid in your cruise fare for the other free dining options that are available to you. So it's not the full price for the specialty restaurant meal.

Yes a lot of people seem to miss that point. So I feel that since the $29 is a "premium" over & above the MDR, it should be a lot better. It's not! The ambience, however does make for a nice night "out".

According to Sterling's web site their beef is graded choice and prime. Is this the same beef Princess uses? They call some of their steak houses Sterling Steak House.

We have a local steakhouse that advertises Sterling beef and I have always found their steaks very good to excellent.

Sterling is graded as "choice". It's a good quality meat, but certainly was NOT served in Crown Grill or Sabatini's(Regal Princess)As I stated earlier the grade served on the Regal was select & below. For those who cast doubt on my abilities, I buy over $1.5 million in beef & other food products for our catering co. & restaurant. We use select & choice. Seldom do we use "Prime" unless specifically requested by a customer(wedding planner, usually)

Sterling is graded as "choice". It's a good quality meat, but certainly was NOT served in Crown Grill or Sabatini's(Regal Princess)As I stated earlier the grade served on the Regal was select & below. For those who cast doubt on my abilities, I buy over $1.5 million in beef & other food products for our catering co. & restaurant. We use select & choice. Seldom do we use "Prime" unless specifically requested by a customer(wedding planner, usually)

I don't doubt your abilities at all!! I think you are 100% correct.

Tony

I don't doubt your abilities at all!! I think you are 100% correct.

Tony

Thank you! I believe you're from Boston(we're from Nashua)We tried "Boston Chops" about a month ago. Boy! Now that's a Steakhouse! It features plenty of Choice as well as specializing in Prime cuts. As much as I love Grill 23, Boston Chops was just outstanding. It didn't hurt that it was my birthday & I didn't have to foot the bill(for once!)Never knew a wallet could cry, but my partner's certainly did!

Thank you! I believe you're from Boston(we're from Nashua)We tried "Boston Chops" about a month ago. Boy! Now that's a Steakhouse! It features plenty of Choice as well as specializing in Prime cuts. As much as I love Grill 23, Boston Chops was just outstanding. It didn't hurt that it was my birthday & I didn't have to foot the bill(for once!)Never knew a wallet could cry, but my partner's certainly did!

I am from Boston. Next time your in Boston try Abe & Louis or Mortons. Just bring plenty of as we say in Boston CASH!!!LOL :D

p.s. Grill 23 is Excellent too.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

I am from Boston. Next time your in Boston try Abe & Louis or Mortons. Just bring plenty of as we say in Boston CASH!!!LOL :D

p.s. Grill 23 is Excellent too.

Tony

Yeah! When were done at Boston Chops the bill kissed the $220 mark. Of course we went all out & really tried some of the apps & sides. The Poutine stuffed baked potato was just to die for!

This is the first time I have heard this. What is your source?

Frozen or not, prime or choice...steaks I have ordered at Crown Grill have always been excellent.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

The US Public Health Service very strongly recommends that cruise lines must freeze all protein meat items for a minimum of 72 hours to kill any parasites that may exist in the fiber.

"Very strongly" translates as "do it or we will give you a lot of trouble".

As a result, all the major mass market lines freeze all meats and fish before it gets to you.

Yeah! When were done at Boston Chops the bill kissed the $220 mark. Of course we went all out & really tried some of the apps & sides. The Poutine stuffed baked potato was just to die for!

Update from Boston haha. I was out with my friends and everyone thinks

Abe & Louis is the best one of them all. If you like baked stuffed Lobster my house is the place to go :D :D

Tony

I agree as well. The meat is USDA "Select"

You can tell this because a choice filet can be cut with a fork and a prime filet practically falls apart when served.

While a NY strip or ribeye that is choice or higher has quite a bit of marbling and internal fat content whichs makes them tender and adds flavor.

Crown Grill steaks are somewhat tough and lean when compared, which indicates a Select grade of beef.

Abe & Louis is the best one of them all. If you like baked stuffed Lobster my house is the place to go :D :D

Tony

Okay. :):) What time's dinner? :D:D

Tony

I'll have to give Abe & Louis a try. Grill 23 is consistently voted as the best in Boston. I'll agree it's good but certainly not as good as Boston Chops. I find Grill 23 a little better than Capital Grill, but not by much. I know a lot of people swear by Abe & Louis. I think one reason, it's a really traditional steak house. Boston Chops is certainly pretty "Avant Garde".

You can tell this because a choice filet can be cut with a fork and a prime filet practically falls apart when served.

While a NY strip or ribeye that is choice or higher has quite a bit of marbling and internal fat content whichs makes them tender and adds flavor.

Crown Grill steaks are somewhat tough and lean when compared, which indicates a Select grade of beef.

Exactly! Good observation.

And main dining room steaks are of what quality?

I don't care what they call them. The filet mignon in the Crown Grill is superb,better than any steak you can get in the UK and a bargain at the price. Oh, and we use knives to cut it. I think that's what they're for:D:D

I'm going to save my money and go to Wegmans and buy boneless Ribeye and grill it. HHMMMMMMMMMMM!! Let's see, 4 lb Ribeye, Charcoal, check, Salad, check, Ice Cream sandwiches from Willies frozen Custard. Homemade!!! I'll eat at MDR aboard.

I am NOT expecting a Morton's grade steak on a mid priced cruise line.

We have been satisfied with the MDR and Blu food quality on Celebrity, and most of the food on RC.

As far as the specialty restaurants....eech...for us, not worth the extra $$.

We enjoy doing our own cooking and generally only "dine out" perhaps every other week, or on evenings out with friends, so the food on board is what I'd say more than adequate....

And, as Far as Morton's etc, there is a steakhouse in Ft lauderdale called Tropical Acres (actually in Davie FL) where we enjoy steaks at half the Morton's cost and

90% the taste/quality....quite a bargain....(try it if you arrive a few days before your cruise...less than a $20 cab ride from the port area)

(ps....I am not affiliated with Tropical Acres.....so there!)

I am NOT expecting a Morton's grade steak on a mid priced cruise line.

We have been satisfied with the MDR and Blu food quality on Celebrity, and most of the food on RC.

As far as the specialty restaurants....eech...for us, not worth the extra $$.

We enjoy doing our own cooking and generally only "dine out" perhaps every other week, or on evenings out with friends, so the food on board is what I'd say more than adequate....

And, as Far as Morton's etc, there is a steakhouse in Ft lauderdale called Tropical Acres (actually in Davie FL) where we enjoy steaks at half the Morton's cost and

90% the taste/quality....quite a bargain....(try it if you arrive a few days before your cruise...less than a $20 cab ride from the port area)

(ps....I am not affiliated with Tropical Acres.....so there!)

Very much enjoyed GG's in Hollywood. Used to go when it was the Goldcoast(bit of a mob joint).

I'm going to save my money and go to Wegmans and buy boneless Ribeye and grill it. HHMMMMMMMMMMM!! Let's see, 4 lb Ribeye, Charcoal, check, Salad, check, Ice Cream sandwiches from Willies frozen Custard. Homemade!!! I'll eat at MDR aboard.

Wegmans has excellent Choice as well as Prime quality beef.

And main dining room steaks are of what quality?

Less than select, but still pretty decent. Formal nights you get higher quality. Just because you get select, by no means makes it poor quality. A good chef can make a select steak taste excellent or totally "ruin" a Prime quality piece of beef. The Choice & Prime are more tender & just have better flavor. If you go to Outback/Long Horn/Texas Roadhouse, you get AA, Select & some Choice grades. Morton's/Ruth's Chris/Capital Grill/Palm, you generally get choice with "some" prime grade. It should be marked Prime in the menu if it is. Stand alone highend steakhouses are usually the ones that feature more Prime grade.