2 systems in the atlantic

I am 3 weeks away from my oasis cruise. Just saw on weather channel that they have 2 systems they are watching. One they think will be a tropical depression. The other one is 90L which at this time has an 80% chance of becoming a named storm. Right now they say it's to early to tell. But that would bring it close to around our date September 10 or right before it. I cruised last September and a week and a half before my cruise there was Fred & grace. So my question is what happens when there are two systems back to back. Where would the ship go? Will they cancel it?

This is what you get for sailing at this time of the year , they will keep you safe.

I'm on Oasis now. Yesterday we left Nassau at 2pm as scheduled and then several hours later captain announced we had turned around and were headed back to Nassau for an urgent medical emergency. We sailed near to the port and then stopped and they lowered the emergency transport boat off the side to take the patient to shore to a waiting ambulance. Then the boat came back and we sailed off again around 8:30pm.

Today captain announced that due to the lost time in the emergency and the approaching storm, we won't be going to St Thomas Tuesday or St Kitts Wednesday. Instead we're going to San Juan Tuesday and Labadee Thursday. Big change but hopefully we'll have better weather.

The line at the excursion desk went from mid-promenade all the way back to the Opal theater. I went over to RC online, which was empty and booked a resort for a day, based on reasearch I already remembered from reading here-thank you Cruise Critic. Then I emailed and got a refund for my previous resort for a day. Easy peasy and I was done within 30 minutes of the captain's announcement. Cruise Critic info is priceless!

Not to worry. One time we were on a Eastern but when we arrived to the ship - it became a Western. These are big ships and know how to get around the storm

Any knowledge ahead that it had changed? An email from concierge said Western but I just rhought he made an error. We are supposed to go on the Eastern. I would want to know ahead to cancel a private tour.

Any knowledge ahead that it had changed? An email from concierge said Western but I just rhought he made an error. We are supposed to go on the Eastern. I would want to know ahead to cancel a private tour.

Wouldn't worry yet, sure just their error. Though as you've read things can change. I've done switch Eastern/Western, a canceled port. One time had 5 named storms/Hurricanes and we ended up doing ports in reverse. Named storms lot of times unless it's in area of destination you'll follow scheduled route, they're good at avoiding storms... Good luck, enjoy your trip...

Normally I wouldn't be too concerned BUT we are taking a short cruise on Majesty (8/29-9/2) before our Oasis cruise on 9/3-9/10. I feel much better being on Oasis than I do Majesty!!!

I'll be on that Oasis cruise too! Wooooot. Hoping for the best and no changes [emoji39]

On Freedom now. Yesterday our Captain came on the speaker and announced that due to the weather front from Fiona, we would be going to Costa Maya and Cozumel instead of St. Thomas and St. Martin. Anyone who had excursions booked would be credited, and they were working hard on making great excursions available for us in the new ports. He explained that we would be having rain and winds if we stayed on our original itinerary, and we would enjoy sun with the change. He was followed by the Cruise Director who essentially repeated him, and said that we should stay tuned.

No one that I've talked to is upset, and everyone is just enjoying the cruise and flowing with the changes.

This is very different from my first cruise on Carnival's Celebration nearly 20 years ago in November (left from New Orleans). We were on the edge of a hurricane, rocking and rolling with lots of rain. Compared to today's ships, Celebration was tiny. There were motion-sickness bags at all of the stairwells and elevators, and a big bowl of dramamine at the pursar's desk. For an excursion in Cozumel, we were put on tender that was repeatedly swamped by waves (with people vomiting everywhere). The tender was forced to turn around and they had trouble getting it tied up to the ship again...and I realized that there were no life jackets! Cruising has definitely changed!

Edited by Truluv

A few years ago my daughter recommended a cruise to a friend. This was her first cruise and it sailed from Galveston. A hurricane arrived and washed away her brand new car which was never to be seen again and the ship was forced to dock in another port. This was this ladys first and last cruise. We always try to take the best travel insurance available and it really paid off in 2009 after a failed weather related Baltic cruise. If driving to port during hurricane season we try to drive our oldest auto. You cant fool mother nature.

99L or gaston heading to Florida this weekend. Florida already has thunderstorms forecasted for this weekend. Also behind it is 90-L which is likely to develop into a tropical storm as early as Monday. Keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't really develop. And everyone has a safe cruise

99L or gaston heading to Florida this weekend. Florida already has thunderstorms forecasted for this weekend. Also behind it is 90-L which is likely to develop into a tropical storm as early as Monday. Keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't really develop. And everyone has a safe cruise

90-L turned into Gaston overnight. Its current trajectory is placing it SE of Bermuda in 5 days so it should miss FL.

99-L is the one to worry about. We board Allure this Sunday in FLL, so it should be interesting.

Actually, the one behind 99-L developed quicker and is already named Gaston. It is headed towards Bermuda but is set to make a right turn out to sea according to the reports I saw.

We are sailing Oasis on Saturday. Our local Miami news stations keep stressing not to over-react, they do not want to scare anyone, but to just keep possible storms in mind for the weekend or next week, and to keep tuned to the news stations for further updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would someone please tell me what periscoping is and what app does one need? Thanks bunches!

It's live video shot from your tablet or cell phone. I think the app is free and in the Google play store. Probably in Apple as well. You do need an account