Must-See in Auckland, NZ

OddAbroad

Hi everyone,

We are considering the 11-day February 2017 sailing of Emerald Princess that leaves out of Auckland, NZ on February 24th and ends up in Sydney, Australia, and we are trying to decide how much time (if any) to give ourselves in Auckland before the ship sets sail.

The issue is, of course, vacation and travel time:

1. We could either arrive in Auckland the morning the ship sets sail (thereby really eliminating any time for sightseeing) and give ourselves an extra work day...

OR

2. We could arrive a day earlier and spend one night in Auckland, but it would cost us an extra vacation day from work

So the main questions are these:

1. What are the absolute must-sees in Auckland

AND

2. Should we definitely spend the night in Auckland ahead of time in order to fit in the absolute must-sees

Any help would be so much appreciated! :) Thanks everyone!

I would NEVER arrive in the port city the "day of"...too many things can go wrong and there goes the ship without you! You are going to have some MAJOR jet-lag...it would be nice to have a day to begin to adjust to the time difference, too... I'm not sure you'll have the energy to "sight-see, but you will be more relaxed for the start of your cruise! As far as "must do's"....get a guidebook on your ports...that's the best way to learn about where you're going, and you can tailor your shore days to fit YOU!

Edited by cb at sea

I agree with the previous posters. Given the almost 24 hour travel time missing a flight is a major problem in making your cruise. Is the extra day off work worth the chance of not getting on board or missing several days of the cruise?

DW and I just booked the 12 day in 2018, Sydney to Auckland. We are planning on 3 days before in Sydney and 2 days post in Auckland. The pre cruise days will allow for travel delays but more importantly to recover from jet lag while giving us time to see the sites around the city.

I totally understand about time off from work. Both DW and I work full time. We had to save up vacation days, clear it with employers etc. my advice, if you can't do it with some padding on days ahead/after wait until it's more feasible. It's going to be a long trip to get there and an investment, while well worth it we see it as one of those types of trips where you need to do it right or wait until you can, which is why we have waited this long to go ourselves.

Just my 2 cents.

We've been in Auckland a couple of times. The first time we did the normal sightseeing thing and then took a sailing cruise, which we thought was very appropriate in the City of Sails.

The second time we walked across New Zealand at its narrowest point (11-12 miles or so, I forget exactly) on a well marked course through Auckland, and then took a bus back to the ship.

As an Aucklander I agree with cruising Kirby. Get to Auckland at least the day before your cruise, book a hotel downtown preferably Quay St or The Viaduct, then you have an extremely short walk to both the Ferry to Waiheke (which would be a lovely day) and to your ship the following morning. This area is full of restaurants and shops too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Take a 20 minute fast ferry ride from the centre of Auckland across to Waiheke Island. Magnificent wineries and restaurants. Not to be missed.

Agree. Have lunch on the patio at the Mudbrick Vineyard.

As an Aucklander I agree with cruising Kirby. Get to Auckland at least the day before your cruise, book a hotel downtown preferably Quay St or The Viaduct, then you have an extremely short walk to both the Ferry to Waiheke (which would be a lovely day) and to your ship the following morning. This area is full of restaurants and shops too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did Australia Sydney to Auckland. The flight from LA to Sydney is 14.30 hours. we flew back from Auckland which was even longer. Major jet lag. And you would not want to miss the ship for all that money spent. We did 2 days before in Sydney (Blue Mtns one day; harbor cruise and opera house another). We did 2 days after in Auckland. Loved Waiheke! Next day city tour and ferry to Devonport. Defnitely find/make the time to enjoy before and after cruise.

Hi everyone,

We are considering the 11-day February 2017 sailing of Emerald Princess that leaves out of Auckland, NZ on February 24th and ends up in Sydney, Australia, and we are trying to decide how much time (if any) to give ourselves in Auckland before the ship sets sail.

The issue is, of course, vacation and travel time:

1. We could either arrive in Auckland the morning the ship sets sail (thereby really eliminating any time for sightseeing) and give ourselves an extra work day...

OR

2. We could arrive a day earlier and spend one night in Auckland, but it would cost us an extra vacation day from work

So the main questions are these:

1. What are the absolute must-sees in Auckland

AND

2. Should we definitely spend the night in Auckland ahead of time in order to fit in the absolute must-sees

Any help would be so much appreciated! :) Thanks everyone!

Definitely arrive a day early how offen do you go to Auckland.

Tony

I would absolutely arrive a day early. I studied abroad in New Zealand. My flights there should have consisted of three legs - but due to delays and changes, I landed in LAX right when my flight to Auckland was leaving. I got on another flight 1.5 hours later but it wasn't direct (got to see the sun rise in Samoa, though!). For the jet lag alone I would arrive the previous day. It's a lot of travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would NEVER arrive in the port city the "day of"...too many things can go wrong and there goes the ship without you! You are going to have some MAJOR jet-lag...it would be nice to have a day to begin to adjust to the time difference, too... I'm not sure you'll have the energy to "sight-see, but you will be more relaxed for the start of your cruise! As far as "must do's"....get a guidebook on your ports...that's the best way to learn about where you're going, and you can tailor your shore days to fit YOU!

I agree. A lot of possibilities can happen with that long haul.

I agree with Crystabel. The Auckland War Memorial Museum is a must see along with a trip up Mt Eden.

With only one day I would pass on Waiheke in favour of a short ferry ride to Devonport instead (combined with Museum & Mt Eden).

As an ex Jafa,you have nailed it.:)

Take a 20 minute fast ferry ride from the centre of Auckland across to Waiheke Island. Magnificent wineries and restaurants. Not to be missed.

100% in agreement. Just an excellent way to spend a day. Scenery is gorgeous and lunch at Mudbrick Vineyard is not to be missed.

I'll add my vote to arrive a day early ... at least. That cruise is very port-intensive until you leave NZ after the Fiordland scenic cruising. I assume you will want to maximise your sightseeing in all the ports that you visit so you really need a day or so to recover from the jet lag before you board. There are so many interesting places to visit around Auckland, as mentioned by others on this thread, so that the time you spend there won't be wasted and you'll enjoy your cruise so much more if you are properly rested before you board.

Don't know where in the U.S. you are departing from, but in Feb. there can be airline delays do to snow and other weather related events. Take that into account. When we went to Sydney we had major jet lag after flying all those hours, crossing the date line, and we flew in first class. The day of arrival was basically have a light snack and sleep all day. It isn't like a quick flight to a Caribbean cruise. Having been to both Aust. and NZ, if possible, I would suggest you think about postponing your cruise until a time when you can enjoy some pre and post cruise touring of these lovely locations.

We spent three days in Auckland pre-cruise and filled every moment of it. We used buses to get around. We were surprised as to how hilly it was. We stayed in a superb B+B in Herne Bay whose owners have now retired.

Day 1 Easy day --bus to the excellent zoo and dinner

Day 2 Waiheke ferry --fabulous place and strenuous walks.

Day 3 War museum and maritime museum + old ship harbor trip

Edited by Alaskanb

Thank you all so much for your fabulous responses!

You have all easily convinced me, and I'm definitely thinking a buffer day in Auckland is a must! :D For the record, we are coming from the west coast of the U.S. with a direct flight, so the likelihood of a delay/missed connection is quite low... but the jet-lag factor is definitely to be considered--along with, of course, experiencing Auckland!

I was doing a little digging, and I came across the Waitomo glow worm caves. Has anyone done this? And if so, how was it? The pictures look amazing but you never know about the actual experience itself. ;)

Thanks again for all the wonderful input!